MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Amishway Homesteaders

Growing vegetables in your zone.....

So now that some of you have gardens going in and some have to still wait for the weather to warm up before we can even start I have a question....................

Is all this wierd weather changing your planting time this year?

What about frost dates, can we trust them this year?

Are we going to have the full plant time or a early frost this year?

***It may help if you also post what zone you are in.

:AmishMichael2:

Zone 6 and we are still under snow so not much going on.

May get the cold frame going next week as we have letuce and spinach up and growing in the greenhouse?

But for now all I can do is go over last years records and plan this years garden.

:AmishMichael2: <--- you will know when I am out in the garden when I put on my straw hat :24:

It's to be 50 today. :cele: Perfict maple syrup weather. Birds are singing. :cloud9:

My washer only froze once this year so the temp wasn't so bad this winter.

Still no garden till Mother's day. Last summer we did not get very many days in the high 90.It was a comfertable summer for humans.

Had a tronado in October a year or two ago .That was strange.

Don't konw. This is Indiana if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes it will change.

I am in zone 5

So, I chuckled, Cat and I had the zone conversation about 2 weeks ago. :P Depending on what you look at we are classified as a 5 but more often a 6, we both came across a chart that labeled with 5a and 5b. :huh:

We like gofish won't plant until Mother's Day weekend or maybe even the weekend after, depending on the temp. We haven't really given any thought to planting other things with the odd weather cycle. But I'm concerned for the apple trees and they didn't see a good deep freeze this winter.

Like gofish, too, it's perfect maple syrup weather and that is what our afternoon holds. I'll eventually have a day to can the potatoes, so glad the garage has been cold.

I'm in a 5a/5b zone as well. We normally put our garden in at Mothers Day as well. I'd love to do a cold frame for lettuces (it would be our first time - we'll see how that pans out)

I wonder too about a late frost. I've been out there with sheets covering things up in the past. It's been known to happen. It won't deter me from getting things in the ground. I have the fever! :lol:

We are in zone 8B. We have had sooo much rain and cold weather. The ground is still saturated and we are almost 3 weeks late in planting potatoes.

We're zone 4 and it's way too early to have a clue about gardening this year but I'm planning my garden for hopefully a nice normal year. I have lots of seeds started, which is way early, but I couldn't couldn't make myself wait. Also we're hoping to do farmer's market this year so trying to get a jump start on that. The rule of thumb for our area is to start planting after Mother's Day.

Last spring was terribly wet, summer dry, fall was so wet the farmers had to wait a month to get in the fields and then a bitter cold and very snowy winter. So our gardens were pretty much the bits, we're hoping for better this year.

Zone 6b, on the border with 7a. I've got my leeks, onions, and peppers started (one pepper is finally sprouting! yay!), as well as various herbs. We're still in the process of melting snow, but as soon as my community plot is tilled, I'll be moving the leeks and onions over there and getting those babies in the ground. Most things won't go in until may, but my really cold hardy things that need a lot of time will get in earlier (onions, leeks, etc). Once the beets sprout, they'll move over as well.

Our average last frost in this area is April 30 (used to be 15th, but has been pushed back over the past few years), so I'm starting a lot inside, but May will be busy, I suspect, with transplants and direct seeding aplenty.

Today I also re-potted my potted peach tree, Momo-chan. (We suspect she might actually be a nectarine tree, but the #$^%#%^ raccoon stole her fruit last year.). The poor dear was swimming in a lake of water, the snow melt was, for some reason, not draining. So I pulled her out, found some big cement chucks to keep the hole clear, gave he some new dirt, and put her back in. She's go a lot of buds this year, so hopefully she'll make more fruit (and we'll be better and protecting them).

8b here.

Yesterday I up-potted half a dozen peppers and three hills-to-be of summer squash. In a normal year, I would have put all those in the ground. Long ago my husband was told that the Cherokee watch for the pecans to bud out--when the pecans show green, there will be no more frost. We don't actually expect more frost, but the tender stuff is still at least nominally mobile.

I planted artichoke seeds yesterday. Anyone have any advice?

None of my flowers (except sunflowers) have sprouted. Nor has the pennyroyal in the hanging pots. The tobacco, tomatoes, okra, and other hot-weather things probably won't sprout until it warms a little more. I'm having fun telling people we're planting Wormie okra this year.

The chickens got to the just-blooming snow peas that were in the ground, and to some of the vegetables in the starting trays. The DH and I are having extended but inconclusive discussions about penning the chickens except for an hour or so a day, at least until the seedlings are less succulent and tempting.

One of my blueberry cuttings is bravely blooming. Another tried last week and gave up from loneliness.

Zophiel, have you been able to get any bottled bobcat urine to spray on the tree? It's supposed to keep coons at bay, and maybe it does.

Zophiel, have you been able to get any bottled bobcat urine to spray on the tree? It's supposed to keep coons at bay, and maybe it does.

Hmm, I haven't seen that. I know one of the local garden centers sells coyote urine. I might try that, but even if I move the tree to the other side of the fence, the scent might drive Malcolm (my dog) nutty. But it's def. something I've been considering . . .

8b here.

Long ago my husband was told that the Cherokee watch for the pecans to bud out--when the pecans show green, there will be no more frost. We don't actually expect more frost, but the tender stuff is still at least nominally mobile.

Here is my chart for planting 'the old way'

I have used it for years and it works here in zine 6 (a) :

WHEN TO PLANT VEGETABLES THIS SRING:

˜Plant Peas when Forsythia blooms or the maple tree flowers.

˜ Plant Potatoes when the first Dandelion blooms

˜ Plant Beets, Carrots, Cole Crops such as Broccoli and Cabbage),

Lettuce and Spinach when Lilac is in first leaf.

˜ Plant Spinach, Beets and Onions when your daffodils bloom

˜ Plant Corm when white ock leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear.

˜ Plant Beans, Cucumbers, and Squashes when Lilac is in full bloom.

˜ Plant Bush Beans, Pole Beans and Cucumbers when Apple Tree drop

their petals.

˜ Plant Tomatoes when Lily-of-the-Valley is in full bloom.

˜ Transplant Eggplant, Melons and Peppers when Irises bloom.

˜ Transplant Tomatoes, Melons and Eggplant when Peony Bushes flower

The old saying was :

Mother Earth would know when to start seeds so they would survive.

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

I'm in 5b and banking on mothers day as well. Already took the day before and after off, and started the first of my seedlings. I haven't thought the weather here has been unusual...but compared to our record breaking snow last year most anything would be mild in comparison :)

... when Forsythia blooms or the maple tree flowers.

... when Lilac is in first leaf.

... when Lilac is in full bloom.

... when Irises bloom.

... when Peony Bushes flower

:blink: That would be around the thirty-second of Never here. We do have white oaks and dandelions, though. ;)

... when Forsythia blooms or the maple tree flowers.

... when Lilac is in first leaf.

... when Lilac is in full bloom.

... when Irises bloom.

... when Peony Bushes flower

:blink: That would be around the thirty-second of Never here. We do have white oaks and dandelions, though. ;)

ooops! Sorry but it works for around here.

Do you have ones that work for you?

I opened my mouth and nothing came out. I guess it's time to talk to some of my favorite old people.

I opened my mouth and nothing came out. I guess it's time to talk to some of my favorite old people.

soooooooooooooooooooooooo......................

what did they say?

Got to put out lettuce, spinish, onions that we started in the greenhouse into the cold frame and some under the hoops. Nice the last few days but we still will be having cold night so we will see. Used left over seed so we are not out anything if they freeze and we had fun getting things going in the greenhouse. ;)

I planted my seeds 2 weeks ago, and for 2 weeks we have had never-ending rain. They still haven't sprouted :( I do have a couple cabbages that sprouted, but with all this rain I'm afraid the rain washed them away.

With all of the rain we have had my garden is a lake. I am worried that if this keeps up I won't have a garden. :sad-smiley-012:

:wormie2:

John

How BAD it is here in zone 6 with all this wet,windy weather you ask?

things are so messed up we can't plant what should be in the ground now but harvested our carrots and caned 9 pint jars plus some for 'fresh' eating! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw: