MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How much sauce to use on a pizza?

HOw much do ya'll use? I don't know how to describe teh size of the pizza..but the dough is coming from my bread maker. I'm using jarred sauce and am wondering how much to use?

IMO, the amount of sauce you use is up to your personal taste. I like a little bit more sauce, but it depends on the sauce I'm using. If it's tomato, then I use probably 1/2-1 cup of sauce for a 12-14" pizza. If it's olive oil, it will be less. It shouldn't be caked on 1/2" thick.

We make homemade pizza, almost very single Friday night. I do find, that putting the sauce on, then the cheese, and the toppings on top of the cheese, hold the toppings on, better than putting the cheese on top of everything. I also let them cool and the cheese set for a few minutes, before I cut the pizzas. I used to make four BIG pizzas, for one dinner, now we are down to two...Yippee! Now I can freeze two, for the next week. I use two pints, of my canned pizza sauce, and add two small cans of of tomato paste, and that covers four large, round pizzas, and they aren't soggy. It also helps to sprinkle the bottom of the pizza pans, with some cornmeal.

we 'canned' our pizza sauce in pints and that is good for one 16 inch round of homemade pizza dough.

to save time ? we put the sauce in a bowl and add diced up pepperoni, cut up mushroom, chopped onions, canned pepper pieces, oregano all into the bowl. Then mix it all together then 'ploop' it onto the shell (that we cooked for 10 minutes to make a crust) push it around to cover Then add the cheese and bake another 8 to 10 minutes, let it 'set' for 3 minutes then EAT!

SO now I want a pizza! :feedme:

HOw much do ya'll use? I don't know how to describe teh size of the pizza..but the dough is coming from my bread maker. I'm using jarred sauce and am wondering how much to use?

It varies. If I prebake the crust, I use more sauce. If I bake the crust for the first time with the toppings then I use less sauce so that the dough bakes all the way through. You can also use alfredo, BBQ sauce, or a garlic/oil sauce instead of marinara. 1 lg pizza would probably get 1 to 1 1/2 c marinara, BBQ, alfredo type sauce and about 1/4 c oil based sauce.

Cheryl

I can 1/2 pints of pizza sauce and use the whole thing on my 12" pizza. Sometimes I run out of my own pizza sauce and have to buy it from the store. Then I use 1/2 the can and freeze the other 1/2.

Never tried mixing everything together Amishway Homesteader, think I'll give it a try next time I make pizza. You can pepper pieces? How do you do that? I freeze them to use in things all winter but canning, nope never done it.

Archived