MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Eating From Your Food Stores

I questioned some of the methods like buying the fruits but then none of us know whether or not they tend to do that on a regular basis anyway. On the other hand she has 10 kids to raise and starving them for 90 days probably is not an option. The question is what she was trying to find out. I am thinking that she merely wanted to know if she could cook from what she had on hand. It stands to reason that this woman is up against some problems that would not exist if everyone else was in trouble. Her husband probably would not run out of deoderant if he wasn't going to work, her kids wouldn't need lunches everyday for school if there is no school. Somewhere along the line she had to take into consideration that she couldn't keep her children and husband at home for 90 days so she had to modify some things to make it all work and still try to gain some knowledge about her prep supply. She needed formula--her baby is not an experiment. She has canned milk and karo syrup to make formula if this had been a real emergency. Why subject a baby to changed diet if there is only an imaginary disaster. Children aren't something to use as lab animals to prove a point. What would she have accomplished by keeping a large supply of baby formula for a child that mayl not be using it and it will be wasted. I think she is doing quite well--there is evaporated milk for formula, there are cloth diapers if necessary. There is a limit of what a person can do to simulate an emergency while the rest of the world is going on as usual and they are expected to function in both worlds at the same time. This isn't comparible to someone that can't get through a weekend without tv etc. We are talking 90 days. It is very interesting reading. We can all learn from it just as she is learning and sharing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violet~

Food Item: Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)

Food Quantity: 1 oz

Carbs: 8g

Dietary Fiber: 0g

Net Carbs: 8g

Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) and Diet Nutrition

Soy foods (like Textured Vegetable Protein), can have a high carb count and may be excluded from many low carb weight loss diets. However, the nutritional content of soy is high: it contains complete-protein, with all eight essential amino acids (ideal for both meat-eaters and vegetarians), several vitamins and minerals, as well as certain protective phytochemicals, like phytoestrogens and isoflavones. Soy beans, in particular, are a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health benefits. For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and disease.

Research shows that soy food can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, reduce some cancers, and is beneficial for diabetics at risk from kidney disease.

Soy Beans~

Glycemic Index: 18

Glycemic Index Rating: Low

Edited by nini2033a
I questioned some of the methods like buying the fruits but then none of us know whether or not they tend to do that on a regular basis anyway. On the other hand she has 10 kids to raise and starving them for 90 days probably is not an option. The question is what she was trying to find out. I am thinking that she merely wanted to know if she could cook from what she had on hand. It stands to reason that this woman is up against some problems that would not exist if everyone else was in trouble. Her husband probably would not run out of deoderant if he wasn't going to work, her kids wouldn't need lunches everyday for school if there is no school. Somewhere along the line she had to take into consideration that she couldn't keep her children and husband at home for 90 days so she had to modify some things to make it all work and still try to gain some knowledge about her prep supply. She needed formula--her baby is not an experiment. She has canned milk and karo syrup to make formula if this had been a real emergency. Why subject a baby to changed diet if there is only an imaginary disaster. Children aren't something to use as lab animals to prove a point. What would she have accomplished by keeping a large supply of baby formula for a child that mayl not be using it and it will be wasted. I think she is doing quite well--there is evaporated milk for formula, there are cloth diapers if necessary. There is a limit of what a person can do to simulate an emergency while the rest of the world is going on as usual and they are expected to function in both worlds at the same time. This isn't comparible to someone that can't get through a weekend without tv etc. We are talking 90 days. It is very interesting reading. We can all learn from it just as she is learning and sharing.

Thank you Mimi. When I practice eating from my food storage I won't be subjecting my 4 yr old, either.

I have an email friend in Canada and I have heard that she has no idea how to get a dial gauge tested, either. Even here in the US there are so many places this service is also unavailable.

Can you think of other things that people need information on that is not easily found ? I am open to suggestions. I am making a list tonight of things to ponder to write about.

I also have some people that say I should make videos on these things.

Today was a special day, though. My dear friend gave birth to a baby girl ! She was born on what was my Daddy's birthday, so that really seems wonderful to me. I cannot wait to see the baby ! I wanted to give my friend time to get some sleep . I talked to her on the phone and she sure sounded happy and wonderful for just giving birth. I want to hold and kiss the baby. Been over 5 years since my grandbaby was born. My friend is so dear to me, sort of like a daughter, but kind of like a sister, too. I love my friend !

Sorry Violet, I haven't had a chance to get back on here. I'm so glad to hear about your friends baby girl!!!

I'll try to think of a few more specific things and get back to you. :)

Violet, a question. When you say to add 2-3 inches of water to the canner, Is that measured with or without the jars in there?I put 2 inches of water in my canner and let it boil before adding my hot jars. I hope I've been doing it right.

Kully,

That is without jars. You use a thermometer to determine how hot your water is.

If you pack the jars raw with foods and add the boiling liquid, then you use one temp. of water in the canner.

If the food is a hot pack, where both the food and the liquid are boiling as they go into the jars, then you will use a different temp. of water.

This is to prevent Thermal shock, where the bottoms of the jars fall out.

So here is what to use:

Raw pack 140 degrees

Hot pack 180 degrees.

If you use boiling water and the jars and contents are not the same temp. the bottoms can fall off the jars. It is a mess !

This is probably more than you asked, but I would rather tell you the "whole story", as my dh says, but that is how I am, LOL.

Also, be sure you that if the directions say hot pack that is the method you use, and not a raw pack. It is a safety issue in canning foods.

Kully,

That is without jars. You use a thermometer to determine how hot your water is.

If you pack the jars raw with foods and add the boiling liquid, then you use one temp. of water in the canner.

If the food is a hot pack, where both the food and the liquid are boiling as they go into the jars, then you will use a different temp. of water.

This is to prevent Thermal shock, where the bottoms of the jars fall out.

So here is what to use:

Raw pack 140 degrees

Hot pack 180 degrees.

If you use boiling water and the jars and contents are not the same temp. the bottoms can fall off the jars. It is a mess !

This is probably more than you asked, but I would rather tell you the "whole story", as my dh says, but that is how I am, LOL.

Also, be sure you that if the directions say hot pack that is the method you use, and not a raw pack. It is a safety issue in canning foods.

Well I personally like to thank you. Being a novice newbie that's great info to have.

If I can ground hamburger meat, does it change the taste of it? Also, what about seasonings, garlic, onion, etc.? The ball book talked about salt and it said something about about adding seasonings (but did not say what I could use)? Do any of them get bitter besides sage if you use them? Can I use boxed beef broth, or is water better? How much? Do I cover it with liquid? Do I rinse the fat off after I brown it before I can it? The book said if I wanted a thicker broth to use some sure jel(I think) to thicken it but of course never use flour or cornstarch.Why can't I thicken it after I open the jar? I never have canned much meat, so I want to make sure that I don't waste my money canning beef? I found 28 oz. can of ground beef online for $9.96. I thought I could can it cheaper. Thanks in advance. I will not start until I hear from ya'll.

Edited by AMarthaByHeart

You can use either water or broth, or tomato juice. It will taste differently and also have textural changes.

I don't know what book you say says to thicken, but that is misinformation. NEVER thicken any foods before canning other than pie fillings, and only Clear Jel for them, or jams. A very few relishes also have a bit added, but all of those things are high acid, not a low acid thing like a meat.

If you want to season, you use dried herbs or dried onion or garlic. Not fresh. It is a safety issue. Never add things not called for in a recipe or method of preserving.

You do only thicken the meats after you open them when you heat them to serve.

Here is a link on how to can it safely :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

Violet--it was ClearJel. I had never heard of it. The book said buy it online. I think I will just thicken afterwards. Oh, For those interested, Walmart finally has the newest ball cannng book for $5.95. Online, it was more.

i have tvp as a stand by, i have pepperoni type and it has passed the kid test.....you put it in water then use it on a p[izza,,, have canned all kinds of meat, i do hamburger every year and roasts , i cook the hamburger first then put it in a jar and then add boiling water and lid them and put them in pressure canner, the roast i sear on all sides then put them in a very large roast pan with water in it and bake for a short while ....this way the meat shrinks.....and i do not like canning meat raw excet for rabbit and chicken with the bones in......we love the hamburger for making tacos and casseroles and spaghetti.......i have the sauce all canned and very little seasooning and then when i want spaghetti i add 1 jar(quart) hamburger, 2 quarts tomato mixture sauce and let it cook and add the spices while the noodles are cooking......use the roasts that i can and cut all the fat off as grdson does not like fat.....we use it for pot pies and stew and shredded beef sanwhiches and soup and casseroles.....take care and keep the faith

Clear Jel has been used in the commercial industry for decades. We have had it for home use for a long time, too. It is the only product that is safe for canning pie fillings at home. You order online or some specialty stores sells it, like cake decor shops. Some extension offices have it, too. It is a special modified corn starch. Read your labels from the stores, it is modified food starch.

If you have a book that says to thicken low acid things like meats, I would question the safety of that book for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

The second challenge has started this week. She is attempting to work with $50 per person per month and start from scratch with nothing in the pantry plus try to build up a pantry plus get needed tools. She is in for a tough go this time! I am thinking that, like the rest of us she has been prepping for a long time and has lost track of how to start from nothing in the cupboards and little money. We might not have the money but we have the preps so that we can wait out the sales. This is going to be an interesting read for the next 90 days.