MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Now I have some chicken questions

Our local Tractor Supply is selling Rhode Island Reds. I do not want a large flock. Just a small one...three maybe four hens tops. But when I purchase my pullets should I buy one or two extra in case I have some that don't survive? Or are the odds better that they will do fine? I know that when people mail order chicks a lot will "pad" their order to account for chicks theat die, but is that same rule of thumb used when purchasing them from a store?

I only have a small coop to start out with. It's well built, but it's only a little over 3 feet by a little over 2 feet. I'm planning building a larger chicken tractor by the end of the summer. They will also be allowed to free range in a fenced in dog pen. But I'm concerned about the size of my initial coop - I can't remember how much room is supposed to be alloted per chicken.

I've read so much on how to care for them, what to feed them, what not to feed them...my head is spinning. I'll welcome any advice.

I think it may be the stress from shipping that causes some chicks to die when ordering them from mail order.

I always have just a few (from the feed store) 3 - 8 at a time. I've only lost one bird, which was a sick turkey from the start.

They are pretty easy to raise, as long as they don't get too cold at night in the winter.

In our state ( New York) the minimum purchase of chicks or ducklings is 6. Someone, somewhere decided that the birds do better in groups of that minimum size. So we've always gotten 6. They seem to do pretty good for us.

It certainly does not mean that You have to Keep that many... just purchase that many.

Our local Tractor Supply is selling Rhode Island Reds. I do not want a large flock. Just a small one...three maybe four hens tops. But when I purchase my pullets should I buy one or two extra in case I have some that don't survive? Or are the odds better that they will do fine? I know that when people mail order chicks a lot will "pad" their order to account for chicks theat die, but is that same rule of thumb used when purchasing them from a store?

I only have a small coop to start out with. It's well built, but it's only a little over 3 feet by a little over 2 feet. I'm planning building a larger chicken tractor by the end of the summer. They will also be allowed to free range in a fenced in dog pen. But I'm concerned about the size of my initial coop - I can't remember how much room is supposed to be alloted per chicken.

I've read so much on how to care for them, what to feed them, what not to feed them...my head is spinning. I'll welcome any advice.

Follow this guilde and you'd do fine http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chick...aby-chicks.aspx

Proper Temperature, clean rear ends and prevention of coccidiosis are the main things that will keep your chicks surviving. I was very anal about following these guidelines and didn't lose a single chick my first try.

Best wishes.