MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A community mourns today.

Guest Guest

My Dad's funeral was today. It was 4 hours long and the best funeral I have ever been to.

He was not my blood Father, he did not know me as a child but as an adult he did raise me and teach me what I needed to become who I am today.

They talked about him as a pastor, leader, communty leader on all boards at one time or another, He worked with drug addicts, pregnant teens, a piller of our community, a councelor, an example, a servent, Chaplain to the county jail, and the fire department, an EMT and went on to beciome an EMT Specalest, a friend to all and a living example of Jesus and his love. He loved everyone, cared for his community and was an all around, down to earth, great man.

He had a way of making you feel comfortable around him. I remember when I first went to him for counseling ( was so tired of being scorned and judged by self rightious, holyier than though preachers that tried to tell me all i mhad to do is learn some scripture and quote it when I am having problems and all my worries would be over, or better yet telling me that I brought everything on myself because i was a bad person and had a lot of sin in my life. You probably know the type.), I was a bit aprehensive about talking to him after all the other preacher's I tried to get counseling from.

I walked into his office and sat down, he sits down in his chair and lights up a cigarette. I knew right then that he was not going to point any fingers or judge me.

I found out today at his memorial service that he did that so others would relax around him and be their selves. I remember him telling me when he became chaplain of the fire department, the men liked to talk with some strong language and tell some colored jokes. They thought they would have to clean things up now, but Dad let them know he was not only a preacher but also a human. He did not take part but allowed them to carry on being a bunch of men.

Anything Dad did he did to the best of his ability, there was no second best with him and he never wanted to be given any glory. When he agreed to adopt me (adoption by love), he took that seriously too. He always treated me like one of his own. I told him one time that he was the best Dad in the whole world and he got upset and told me not to say that. He explained that he knew plenty of good fathers and he was not the best.

Well I told him that God hand picked him just for me and that God only gives his kids the very best, there is no second best with God. So since he was hand picked for me by God he has to be the best Dad in the whole world for me. He couldn't argue with my logic and had to except the best Dad award, The love and admiration of a daughter's heart.

Here is something I wrote about him right after he died.........

In loving Memory

Thanks everyone for allowing me to say what is on my heart. My Dad will be greatly missed but his memory will live forever in the hearts and lives of all he touched.

They had a final call from 911, then the town fire siren sounded and one gun shot. Many of the flags have been flown at half mass since his death.

Hill

------------------

Kindness is like a boomerang, the more you give, the more it comes back to you.

My heartfelt condolences Hillbillee!!

Your Dad was definetly a Gift from God and a great example of His LOVE. I'm so happy you had what little time you had together!!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited August 13, 2002).]

God Bless you and your family. He sounds like is was a great man. His kindness and energy affected many and will act like ripples. Lucky you to have loved him.

{{{{hugs}}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss frown.gif Your Dad was a true gem of a man and a wonderful source of unconditional love and support for you right when you needed it most. I am sure he is still looking down on you from heaven with all that love.

------------------

becca.jpg

awwwwwwwwww...*teary eyed*

I read the memorium you wrote for your dad and was touch by how he was used to bring healing in your life. In many ways he reminds me of my own father, and not that I need reminding, but it reminds me again how fortunate I am to have such a man in my life.

There was a time, about 10 years ago, that I hit a bottom unlike any I had ever sunk to before. I had reached a point where I had just given up and I went to my dad. During our conversation, there was one thing in particular that he said that snapped me out of the free fall I had been in and I went back to him many times after to tell him how grateful I was for him being there at such a desperate point in my life.

My heart aches over your loss, but like Cat said, he continues to live on in the memories he gave you, in the things that he taught you, and in the effect he had in changing your life.

How blessed he was to have you in his life.

(((((((hillbillie)))))))

------------------

d5.jpg

Hillbillee, your Dad is still giving to you.

You have the memories, the knowledge, the strength, the moral fiber he helped you find both within yourself and in his guidance.

I was blessed to have a Dad who was a kind and gentle man, a hard worker who loved his kids, though it was hard for him to express it after we started to grow up.

Being raised "Amish", he never learned to say "I love you" from his family when he was growing up, but my sister and I taught him well enough that by the time he was dying of cancer in 1998, it came easily and was a great comfort to the family.

You remember your Dad best when you make the world a better place for those you love... and live well yourself, too.

Thank you for sharing.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hillbillee}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

------------------

cat.jpg