MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
urbanforager

Hooray For Spring!!!

This weekend, I went out into the woods.

I have finished: a batch of dandelion jelly (8 quarter pints and a bigger jar that will be used right away that I didn't bother to seal), a batch of dandelion fizz (because that elderflower champagne last year was just SO wonderful), and a batch of dandelion syrup.

I am still in the middle of: violet syrup, a batch of herb beer (small beer, like the dandelion fizz, with dandelions and nettles), and a batch of lilac wine. I picked the lilacs from a huge bush in some generous soul's backyard. The aroma of the blooms just about knocked me over from ten feet away. You should SMELL my kitchen at the moment.

I'm seriously considering another Wild Foods Feast this Friday, because I have MORE DANDELIONS to use up. Tentatively on the menu: dandelion cornbread, nettle lasagna (because eating them plain is yummy but ...err...fuzzy, 'cause of the little hairs. Nobody likes them as a plain potherb), a venison roast from last December's roadkill doe, a salad with violets and redbud blossoms, garlic mustard and poke greens, and elderberry... something-or-other. And probably the ever-popular raccoon. And maybe dandelion pancakes with lemon curd.

Man I love spring!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!

Edited by urbanforager

Oops ... came home just now and went to bottle the dandelion syrup that I had left on the stove to cool when I went to work. Guess I cooked it a leeeetle too long, 'cause instead of dandelion syrup, I have dandelion honey.

Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that! :P

Wow, that is all so cool!! :) I didn't know you could make so many things out of dandelions...what do you use the syrup on? Is it made with the flowers or the leaves? And anything made with Lilac sounds HEAVENLY!

Wow, that is all so cool!! :) I didn't know you could make so many things out of dandelions...what do you use the syrup on? Is it made with the flowers or the leaves? And anything made with Lilac sounds HEAVENLY!

All this stuff I've been making is made with the flowers of the dandelions. It's very labor-intensive, because you have to separate the flower petals from the green base. (That's the only batch of wine I have EVER had to throw away -- the first batch of dandelion wine I ever made, I left the green part on. DO NOT DO THIS. :yuk: )

You can use the dandelion syrup on pancakes, or in baklava (I've got a recipe for that). Like I said, the stuff I made got waaaaay overcooked. I'll be starting a batch of dandelion cordial on Wednesday, which calls for some honey, so I'll use the overcooked syrup for that purpose, since it's about that consistency now.

Oh, and the dandelion fizz and herb (nettle and dandelion) beer? Tastynice!!!!! I can't wait 'til it's aged properly and I can pop a few bottles in the fridge to chill! MMMMMmmmmm!

That dandilion fizz sounds DIVINE!!! :) If I didn't live in the stupid desert, I'd be getting that recipe from you...but what dandilions grow around here (not many, and not for long) are promptly sprayed by weed-fearing homeowners and are thus unsafe to eat. :P

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.