MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kitchen Floor Mop

I've had it with kitchen floor sponge mops that don't last.... went through my main one today... and it's back up.... the sponge just don't last.

SO.... what do you guys/gals use? Long term use it what I'm looking for? Can't always rely on buying replacement heads if the retailers haven't changed designs/models in between.

Should state that I don't care for mop buckets and cotton string mops... to bulky and messy. Plus use them every night at work and know their limitations too. Yes, I'm picky. :lol:

I'm usually pretty vocal on this subject. I do not see how a string mop can actually GET a floor clean. Aren't you just rubbing the same filth back on the floor?

I use a Swiffer to sweep. I use a cheap one I bough from the dollar store, but, Clorox makes a nice one as well as Method. Method sells special head covers made with micro fiber materials, but, you can bu microfiber rags in the auto department of wally world pretty cheap. I do not buy the "disposable diapers" they sell to go with it. I buy packs of cheap, cotton washcloths especially dedicated to cleaning so they can either scrub floors or cabinets and be thrown in a load of wash.

To mop (after sweeping 2-3 times, which I would do anyhow with a straw broom) I use a spray bottle with my cleaning solution in it (Water & dish soap or water & vinegar) & wipe it up with a Swiffer/rag combo. You can change rags as needed to keep a clean one on.

I then use a sprayer with plain water & a Swiffer/rag combo to rinse. You can either dry with a Swiffer/rag combo or air dry like I do. All the rags go in a specially dedicated 5 gallon bucket to be added to a wash load of dog drying towels (I am a pet groomer, but, you can add to gardening clothes, hubby's work clothes or whatever ou have that is nasty). DO not, under any circumstances use fabric sheets or fabric softeners as they impede water absorption. Only mix up enough cleaning solution for 24 hours as it will grom nasty things if left to sit for two days. HTH! :dusting:

I use one of those with the heads that come off and go in the washer--i got it at Wal mart--didn't cost too much and then got several heads in case they change them. The heads look like wide strips of fabric and are in bright patterns--it has worked great.

I also have one of those steam mops that came out recently--absolutely love it!!! I use the string mop for little spills, etc. , but I find myself using the steam mop more and more. It is nice that it uses no chemicals and the pad goes into the washer. One of the great pluses about it--when you are done--it is dry!!! no waiting!!!!

I use Swiffer to sweep the floor. I have a Libman mop that has a bulit in ringer. I use Lysol or Mr Clean. A couple of months ago I bought The Haun steam mop. I love how clean my floors are after using it. It is a little more trouble. It also has a short handle to disinfect countertops. And you can also use it to kill dust mites on carpet and furniture. It was like $100. Every now and then I will get down on my hands and knees and clean the floor with a rag.

We have a mop that's kind of like a swiffer, but it has a washable microfiber head on it. It works really well. I also just bought a Shark steam mop, and I love that (especially yesterday, when a pan of marinating raw chicken fell out of the fridge and all over the floor!).

We have a mop that's kind of like a swiffer, but it has a washable microfiber head on it. It works really well. I also just bought a Shark steam mop, and I love that (especially yesterday, when a pan of marinating raw chicken fell out of the fridge and all over the floor!).
Sometimes you can get a coupon for 40% off Bed Bath & beyond & the shark is only $60.

I use a Swiffer to sweep and mop. I have MS and anything heavier is just too much for me to handle. I love my Swiffer! I can get under all of the furniture with it and since our whole house is tile, that is a plus. I don't use the pads that you buy for it at the store. They are way to expensive. Instead I buy Viva paper towels (they work the best) and wrap one on it to sweep and then put a clean one on it to mop. I just spray the floor with 50/50 water and cider vinegar, turn on the ceiling fans, and the floor is dry in minutes. The house smells good too.

I do not like mops.

I use a bucket and a wash cloth and sit on my duff and scoot across the floor. When the water gets dirty, I change it.

I have the same problem with that as I do a mop. You are rubbing dirty water back onto the floor.

I don't like mops either. I use an old towel, dampened with warm water, put on floor and skate around on it. Then throw it in the wash. Eliminates the whole dirty mop, dirty mop water thing. If I have a spot that is resistant to warm water, I can use soap on a sponge for it.

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this thread which I always read as "Kitchen Floor Map". I don't need a map for my kitchen floor, but I sure could use one for the living room.

Might be time to get those eyes checked. :24:

For me I use a straw broom, then microfiber washcloth on a Swifter. Really like the idea of using a paper towel from above post...gonna give that a try! My mop of choice is a Cuban mop....a wooden T dowel, you flop a dampened old dish towel over the end and push it around the floor. Rinse out towel as needed, rinse after use, then toss in wash. When its time for a complete scrubbing, I sit on my bum with brush and bucket.

Archived