MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you don't have a reserve of water, get one now!

I've not prepped water the way I should. I've known better, I've been meaning to do it forever, but I just never did it. Buying a Big Berkey has been on my to-do list literally for years. And some how I've always let that purchase fall through the cracks.

And now, today, we have had a pipe burst under our house. All water is turned off. The plumber can't even really do anything until the stores open tomorrow because our house is so old you can't just go and put your hands on parts for it. We don't even know yet if we're looking at a tiny fix or something that is a really big deal.

And I have a gallon and a half of water put back.

And because I was busy all weekend getting the new chicken coop together, the dishes are all piled up.

And because we have had broken washer/drier (that hubby and I just fixed last night) the laundry is backed up as well.

Luckily, I do have 2 seven gallon water containers (intended for camping) that you can put water in the top and use a spout at the bottom to get it out. I'll be taking those over to a friend's house tonight to fill them up. I also have some gray water outside to use for flushing. So at the very least, we'll be able to wash a dish, water the animals, and take care of a bit of personal hygiene.

When people say keeping your laundry washed up instead of piled up is a prepping thing, it is. When people say to keep your dishes done and not piled up for the same reason, it's true. And having a Big Berkey and a supply of water at your place really can turn into a life saver very quickly.

Wow, with being outside all weekend, I'm like you..dishes piled up, laundry needing done, etc. I wish I'd get to them tonight but I'm so tired I'm going to chance letting things wait until morning. I hope we don't have a problem like you do and I do hope you get yours fixed soon and cheaply.

Thanks for the nudge/reminder. ;)

Yes, paper plates and paper napkins can help *serve* food, but to cook it you might have problems if the pans are dirty. Are you prepared to cook on the grill? Over an outdoor campfire? What if it's raining? And there's a health risk if you can't get those dishes washed for a while. :o

Heavy-duty aluminum foil can be used to cook with in a camping-style meal. Large tin cans can be utilized as a little stove over a little fire.

But it just helps to keep all your options open.

**Eyes the sink full of dirty dishes with dismay... one nasty overnight storm could take out the power...** <_<

:(

Bluegrassmom, I keep intending to do something about the water but have been busy doing other things. Thanks for the reminder. It is good to stay caught up on everything, but sometimes it is hard--just because of everyday life.

Thanks for you post bluegrassmom. I kept thinking about the dishes and laundry and finally got up enough energy to clean the kitchen. Still have laundry to do but we still have a few days worth of clothes so hopefully that's enough.

Night everyone! :grouphug:

DRESS REHEARSAL! Don't wait for SHOWTIME!

Have SEVERAL options for water...including grey water as Bluegrassmom mentioned.

MtRider [sitting pretty well with water issue...cuz it's something I do prioritize. ]

We keep water stocked up since we are on a well. Does that matter? Yes, especially when your pump goes out during a snow storm in an area that usually doesn't get snow storms. Luckily, the local well service has done this before and has the knowledge and vehicle to make it up our icy, hilly road and warm wear so he doesn't freeze pulling up the 120' of pipe and install a new pump and all the wiring. We offered him coffee but he said he makes sure he carries it with him since he doesn't know where people might be getting their water. We use that stored in 2 liter bottles for eating and drinking, the stuff in 5 gallon storage containers for washing people and dishes and we have a good sized pond in the front yard that can take care of flushing needs.

We have an artesian well in the pasture and there are quite a few in the area so I seldom have water on hand. If the artesians were to quit flowing for some reason we'd be in trouble. One of them about a mile from us has been running since sometime in the l1800's when it was first homesteaded. The homestead is long gone but the well still flows. They've had to replace the pipe periodically but the last time they replaced it they put in plastic. We had to dig a new well (it's the artesian) about 20 years ago and it's plastic pipe too. So, I hope it doesn't prove to be a false security someday.

We have an artesian well in the pasture and there are quite a few in the area so I seldom have water on hand. If the artesians were to quit flowing for some reason we'd be in trouble. One of them about a mile from us has been running since sometime in the l1800's when it was first homesteaded. The homestead is long gone but the well still flows. They've had to replace the pipe periodically but the last time they replaced it they put in plastic. We had to dig a new well (it's the artesian) about 20 years ago and it's plastic pipe too. So, I hope it doesn't prove to be a false security someday.

Our pipe is plastic. All of it had to be replaced because it broke as they were bringing it up.

Update - Ok, we had the plumber out first thing this morning. He looked under the house and saw immediately that it was our main water line from the street and it was busted in two. Luckily, we were able to get it fixed and within 2 hours we were back in business.

Some things learned:

1. Continue to have grey water on hand. That definitely helped in the bathroom with flushing.

2. Keep more drinking water on hand. Buy that Berkey and quit putting it off!!

3. I've decided to keep the 2 seven gallon containers filled and rotated. One of them will go outside and I'll use it to replenish the water for the chickens and rabbits but will be there for us if we need it. The other one will probably stay inside the house.

4. Keep the laundry and dishes done! Have mercy, that was *not* fun.

That's the pits! Why were they bringing it up?

We had to have our pump replaced. You can't just jerk 120' of pipe straight up in the air. It flexes and spends around (spewing water in all directions) and then breaks.

We had to replace our well recently and was advised to move the well spot a couple feet away to prevent the caking from minerals from blocking the water flow so instead of pulling the old pipe out we left it there and capped it with a hand pump and a valve. So now when I need water and the power is out I can use that hand pump. (we loose our power all the time so this is needed often). I am still planning to can some water as soon as I fugure out if I need to add something to it before I can it.

Your pump is at the bottom of your pipe? I grew up in the city so only know what we have and our pump is in the basement. Others around here have pump houses.

When we dug our new well 20 years ago they moved it a few feet from where the other had been and put some kind of filler stuff down the old pipe to seal it. Attaching a hand pump to the old one is a great idea.

We left the pipe open, but capped it off and we have our well pipes in our basement so the old well pipe is still sticking out down there. So my DH is building a box to hold one of those cast iron hand pumps on the old pipe. Our new well has the power pump on it. So we have water either way. They are two seperated pipes with two differnent pump systems. Hard to explain, but they work. I just have to haul water from the basement when we have to use the hand pump.

You should know we have a shallow well so it is easier to pump water up from. Those deep ones are hard to pump up by hand because it has such a long way to go.

Your pump is at the bottom of your pipe? I grew up in the city so only know what we have and our pump is in the basement. Others around here have pump houses.

When we dug our new well 20 years ago they moved it a few feet from where the other had been and put some kind of filler stuff down the old pipe to seal it. Attaching a hand pump to the old one is a great idea.

My pump is at the bottom of the pipe. We have the pressure switch, etc at the top but the actual thing that pushes the water up is at the bottom. I joke that I got a Jacuzzi for Christmas that year. It is a Jacuzzi brand pump and we got it two days before Christmas. Needless to say, we didn't do much of anything else for that Christmas.

We had to replace our well recently and was advised to move the well spot a couple feet away to prevent the caking from minerals from blocking the water flow so instead of pulling the old pipe out we left it there and capped it with a hand pump and a valve. So now when I need water and the power is out I can use that hand pump. (we loose our power all the time so this is needed often). I am still planning to can some water as soon as I fugure out if I need to add something to it before I can it.

Sweetie, don't waste the canning jars. :) You can re-use two-liter soda bottles to put water reserves in -- and they won't break! :) Wash the bottles after you've used the soda in them with soapy water. Rinse well. Then, I rinse them out again with a weak bleach/water solution. Rinse well, and fill them to the very tippy-top with water from the tap. It's not necessary, but if you want you can add four drops of unscented bleach to make sure that nothing grows in the water (I do that because I'm paranoid and our tap water isn't the best). Store in a relatively cool, dry place. It is recommended that the water be rotated every six months, but it will last fine up to a year.

Here's a good link on storing water in two-liters:

http://www.seattle.gov/emergency/library/p...ncy%20water.pdf

Glad you were able to repair the water so quickly, Bluegrassmom! :cele:

Scrubbielady....your middle-of-snowstorm scenario sounds about right for the durned water pump! That must have been a Least Favorite Day!

As for 'canning' water....one reason tho, is for sterilized [that's what happens when you can it] water. Thinking of First Aid treatment in the middle of a crisis. When you want to KNOW the water you pour on the wound is pure. I haven't heard that anything goes in the jar but water, btw. I've done a few jars here and there - when [as Westie always used to suggest] I've got more room in the canner. Fill the leftover space with a jar of water.

Earlier in this thread I was pretty confident of a water-crisis. But within the last 24 hrs I did a no-electric Dress Rehearsal. For me that means water pump is not functioning as well as everything else. Well, I am doing pretty good with water but I learned that I seriously have to rotate my various bottles I have stashed. I found one [makes others suspect... :shakinghead: ] that had mold inside the lid. Ewww. But...it's still toilet water. With our septic issues, I have lots of experience flushing-with-bucket. :rolleyes: In order to be diligent in water rotation....I have to know where I PUT all the fruit juice [like Ocean Spray] bottles that I stash here and there. Oye. Needs improvement.

MtRider [my Dress Rehearsal is over and I'm STILL LOOKING for my solar shower bag.... :rolleyes: Big help if I can't even FIND things.... Hmph!]

I read somewhere that if you have city water you don't need to add anything to your water because it already has clorine in it, but if you use well water you should add a few drops of clorine into it to kill any bacteria. Does anyone know how many ml is recommended. I would be using a medicine dropper to add the clorine and since I am allergic to clorine on my skin I am not real thrilled with the idea of adding it to my stomach. I used to have problems drinking city water when I lived in the city (not to mention taking a shower!) That was why I considered doing the canning jar method, but still wonder if I would need clorine in them too? Also I still need water for the rest of the family so I need to get the safe amounts for that. Do I sound over-strung? I really am not, just don't like adding chemicals into my water makes me think I'm going to poison my family.

Ponds/creek for livestock is an awesome advantage!!! Especially if your area doesn't freeze that advantage solid for months out of the year. Even in winter tho, it would still be easier to cut/bash and maintain a watering hole than to ...um, melt snow. You KNOW how much a horse drinks!

Keeping a watering hole open in winter is tricky. I learned that fine art a couple winters ago when I could not afford the electric to heat a large stock tank. {remembering the construction of little igloo windbreak walls and scooping out the ice chunks after bashing the ice open again with a short-handle sledge...every morning and nite......freezing ice water clinging to my face and coat...... ack! But it's doable!}

MtRider [ ...who really TRULY does enjoy modern conveniences! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 2 weeks later...