MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking soda

Check with any local chemical supply companies. They have it in 50-100 pound bags. There are some here that will sell to the public.

:wormie2:

John

Some feed stores carry it and if they don't, ask if they can order ya a bag. Sodium bicarbonate. 25 or 50#. Fine for baking or washing, too...and cheap! :)

A son of a friend got us a 50# bag.....small bag for that intense WEIGHT!!!! He works somewhere that produces these. Hmm, I'll have to ask WHERE he works. Are they mining or manufacturing it? Or packaging it? Now I'm curious.

MtRide :shrug:

Are you near any pool supply stores? If so, you can purchase it there. It's labeled as "Alkalinity Increaser". I used to purchase my supply from a local pool supply store since it's pretty expensive online (especially when you factor in shipping & handling costs) at $44 for a 50 lb bag. Then I saw a 12 lb bag at Costco for $6....and bought 5 bags for around $33 (tax included). I'm always on the lookout for a better deal online. Sometimes the online pool supply sites have a free shipping/handling deal without having to make an insanely large purchase. If I come across anything, I'll post it.

Edited by Miss Teensy

Miss Teensy, is that source 100% sodium bicarbonate? Or would it have other ingredients as well? If it's pure, it sounds like an option!

MtRider

I don't think anything affects it except moisture. I put mine in my ever-available Ocean Spray bottles and store in the loft next to the salt and sugar packaged the same way.

{now, don't tell me heat affects it..... :faint3: }

MtRider [...make sure to label the bottles! ]

I don't think anything affects it except moisture. I put mine in my ever-available Ocean Spray bottles and store in the loft next to the salt and sugar packaged the same way.

{now, don't tell me heat affects it..... :faint3: }

MtRider [...make sure to label the bottles! ]

Ocean Spray bottles! SMART! :)

Do you use oxygen absorbers?

Mmmmm..... Gofish must have had some tasty noodles! :laughkick:

Turtlemama.... No oxygen absorbers. That's more to retard the life of microbes that will decay organic type food. This is....what? A mineral? Seriously doubt anything is needed.

I'll bet either Al Hagen's website or "upstairs" in Drumrunners Survival Library [subforum of Are You Really Ready a.k.a. RURR ] might have something definite.

I love the squared shape of the juice bottles cuz they stack togethe nicely.

MtRider [going 'upstairs' to see what I can find to further clarify baking powder storage/longevity/etc ]

Mmmmm..... Gofish must have had some tasty noodles! :laughkick:

Turtlemama.... No oxygen absorbers. That's more to retard the life of microbes that will decay organic type food. This is....what? A mineral? Seriously doubt anything is needed.

I'll bet either Al Hagen's website or "upstairs" in Drumrunners Survival Library [subforum of Are You Really Ready a.k.a. RURR ] might have something definite.

I love the squared shape of the juice bottles cuz they stack togethe nicely.

MtRider [going 'upstairs' to see what I can find to further clarify baking powder storage/longevity/etc ]

Oooh, let us know what you find in Drumrunner's attic... :) Where has he been lately, anyway???

Dunno where he is. I went up there and rattled around a bit but nobody was home. :lol:

I started downloading stuff under his category of Food and Storage.....

I got the first one fine. But the next four I tried to download did not appear on my screen. :motz_6:

Can some of y'all go upstairs and try some of the downloads and see if I'm just doing something wrong or if we've got a problem we need to fix up there..... Plu-leeeeze! :happy0203:

BTW, didn't find anything on baking soda on the one that downloaded. Wonder if someone wants to look up the Arm&Hammer website to see what the company says about storage and longevity????

I still want to check Alan Hagen's site...Unless Alan is here looking in???????

MtRider [....glad to be scooting around the Net for data again......]

I went to their site but didn't see anything on storage or life span. Off to see if I can do some downloads for ya.

John

I just downloaded all of the files in the food & storage section. I did have major problems when I first tried it. My computer would lock up until I opened Adobe first then opened the files. Maybe try that and see if it helps?

John

Thanks for the suggestions. I use a lot of baking soda and can not find anything bigger than a pound box at any of the stores near here. I used to find bigger but the inventory at all of the stores has been cut down drastically.

I got a 10-pound bag at Sams. Man that stuff is dense! LOL It's a heavy bag for being so small.

Went to the Arm&Hammer FAQ...found out that the shelf life is three years. http://www.armandhammer.com/FAQ/BakingSoda.aspx

Mt. Rider, I'll go check and see if I can hit those downloads. I'll PM you if I have trouble downloading them.

I am not a member of Sam's or Costco. I bought 4# boxes in the cleaning aisle of Walmart for $2.17. Could y'all post what you paid and the size of the package so we can do per unit math with shipping to find the best deal? I do not know what happens after baking soda "expires" because I use it to make laundry detergent.

I have a big bag that I got at Sam's club a year and 1/2 ago and it still works great for cakes and stuff so they must be right about the 3 year thing. Seems like a mineral would last forever. hmmm

Miss Teensy, is that source 100% sodium bicarbonate? Or would it have other ingredients as well? If it's pure, it sounds like an option!

MtRider

MtRider, please forgive me for not responding sooner.

The Alkalinity Increaser from the pool supply store I purchased from was 100% sodium bicarbonate, but I did ask to verify - as I was told that while most alkalinity increaser products are pure sodium bicarbonate, there are some that aren't. Just to be on the safe side, I would ask an employee to verify that theirs is the pure stuff.

Another thing, my pool supply store sold it in buckets and large plastic bags. I opted for the large plastic bag (much cheaper) but brought a large rubbermaid bin to divide it in half because it is VERY heavy.....or it was for me since I'm small-boned (hence the screen name :happy0203: ).