MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
urbanforager

Wanted: A Tanner

Hi all!

I hope someone can help me out with this. I posted a while ago that I had "harvested" a lovely roadkill doe last November. I skinned her out, and she had the most gorgeous winter coat on her. I cleaned the skin and salted it very well, and it is currently rolled up and sitting in my attic.

The weather's starting to get warm (starting!), and I know I have to get this skin out and deal with it somehow. The thing is, I have absolutely no time to tan a hide right now. I had, like, eight book signings in April alone, and my summer weekends are booked up. I have book signings scheduled out into November, no joke. That's good for me and my books, but baaaaad for this beautiful doeskin.

Can someone please, please tan this hide for me? I am perfectly willing to do lots and lots of barter. It's not very heavy, so I don't think it would cost a huge whole lot to send it somewhere and back. I'd really love to have it tanned so that the hair remains on it -- I'd like to use it as a lap blanket in the winter.

If anyone responds to this post, Bless You. I don't want this hide to go to waste, but I really don't have the time to attend to it in the foreseeable future.

Thank you soooooo much!

My Mom used to 'tan my hide' when I was young! But I don't think that was the kind you had in mind? LOL

Maybe someone in your area does it? ask at the local butchers or gun shops they may know? or run a ad in the local pennysaver? The money it costs to have the tanning done would be a bit more then you plan to spend but you would have to pay to ship it out to someone and have to pay again to get it back so add that in, plus look what you get back - a nice fur for a coat or gloves and stuff, well worth the money to have it done right.

good luck-

:AmishMichaelstraw:

My Mom used to 'tan my hide' when I was young! But I don't think that was the kind you had in mind? LOL

Maybe someone in your area does it? ask at the local butchers or gun shops they may know? or run a ad in the local pennysaver? The money it costs to have the tanning done would be a bit more then you plan to spend but you would have to pay to ship it out to someone and have to pay again to get it back so add that in, plus look what you get back - a nice fur for a coat or gloves and stuff, well worth the money to have it done right.

good luck-

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Say, that's a good idea. We've got a great gun shop in town; perhaps I'll ask there. And running an ad in the Tradin' Post couldn't hurt, I guess -- I'll have to figure out the logistics of that one.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.