MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The miracle of Scripture memorization

For any who are new to Mrs.S....I have Multiple Sclerosis. In me, it affects particularly fine-motor control [finger motion as opposed to an arm], general coordination [like walking], lowered stamina, lotsa FATIGUE, and.....unfortunately, cognitive processes.

Let me back up to a fine-motor skill I was so VERY determined to learn two years: Milking my newly-freshened dwarf goat. She was a first-time mother. She is a dwarf breed. Goat milkers will know that means that she had teats the size of the first tip of my little finger. :o Neither she nor I knew what we were doing. :shakinghead: Those who've seen my limits firsthand were dubious about this culmination of a year of goat tending. For me, milking was what having goats was all about! Tho I love them dearly, I really do limit my activities that don't produce a needful product. I just don't have the energy nor money for that.

It took two FULL months! That poor goat. I even tried a manual milker. I despaired EVER getting my numbed fingers to coordinate reliably. I was sure she was producing milk FASTER than I could milk it out of her! I could never get her empty. She was anxious and occasionally dropped her 'nanny berries' while in the milking stand. Plink, plink, plink..splash! :cheeky-smiley-067: My fingers would be so sore I'd try to change position. I'd sit on the stool. Then I'd shove her over and sit on the stand with her. [actually, that often calmed her] Every morning I'd try again....and again.....and again.....and again. Each quarter cup of milk was a joy....and possibly, a hope of things to come. Then the next day, she'd step into the bowl....or kick it over.....

I can honestly say that I have never worked SO HARD at acheiving something I wanted since the MS hit me two decades ago. And I HAVE worked pretty durn hard at many things. God is using this struggle as a benchmark for other challenges. So not only was I successful in training in a NEW (post-MS) fine-motor skill [ :cele:] which has given me milk for two years, I also have a 'Sucess After Severe Struggle' story to fall back on in the future.

Zap forward to about a month ago. As the primary leader for the women's Bible study for our church, I've spent the past four years encouraging other women to memorize Scriptures. Hey...it's a good prep! What if we degrade to a time when Bibles are not available? {gasp....or illegal?} What if we are stuck in the middle of something and can't physically drop what we're doing to go read a few verses? What if we are talking to someone and need some Scripture to back up what we are saying? Its all good!

But I can't memorize anymore. Long ago, I memorized a number of verses and I still have them. [tho probably not the Scripture reference] But all that was PRE-MS. Since the MS hit in full force in the early '90's, my brain scrambles things. It drops chunks of data into random holes [...called "Swiss Cheese Memory"]. I literally have notes and lists all over the house to keep my path. [inside the bathroom mirror....brush teeth, deoderant, brush hair, wash face...... ] These lists aren't needed all the time. MS has it's ups and downs. But any thing that I don't use daily, WILL be forgotten. There is a note next to the .22 on the wall. When a fox/coyote threatens my ducks, I grab it AND THE 3X5 index card. The card reminds me of the sequence to ready the gun to shoot without popping too many unused rounds out of the chamber while I try to remember.....

I have had a cell phone for eight years and I have TRIED to learn the number. I seem to be able to keep less than six phone numbers in my head at any given time. [DH's office and cell, my parents, near neighbor/friend, ....that's it right now] Numbers are worse but spelling and word retrieval are affected too. Even if I've known how to spell a word since I was eight! :( Can't.

I REALLY CAN'T memorize anymore. :shrug: Everyone around me knows that.

So about a month ago, I feel God asking me to take a group of verses and begin to memorize them. :008Laughing: "YOU're kidding, right?"

"No.... Begin with First Corinthians 10:3-5"

:blink: "YOU're serious????? Three verses! But I can't memorize anymore!"

"You think *** I *** AM not aware of that? Begin and *** I *** will accomplish this."

:unsure: [....takes deep breath] "Well, if this is YOUR project, I guess it's up to YOU."

And so I began, a few words at a time. Didn't even start with a whole sentence. I'd sort of get the first sentence and then write the next sentence or phrase on my battered 3X5 card. I would repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over and over..... :faint3: <--------But, 'we shall mount up like eagles, walk and run without growing weary or fainting'

One thing that made a difference. This truly was GOD's project, not mine. HE didn't tell me to accomplish this. HE said my part was to begin. Pressure off! The Accomplishment will not be mine. I can't memorize anymore -- the accomplishment of this would be HIS. But after a while of not really getting very far, I began to wonder if HE&I were going to memorize or whether HE had a different goal. Cuz I really can't memorize but HE was going to have a different Purpose. Memorize or not, I had NO doubt, this DID have a good Purpose!

I'd look like I was making some progress. I had three phrases written out on my card. I could site pieces of all three phrases.....not in correct order, not with all the words. Then they'd all get mixed up and I couldn't even remember how to begin. :unsure: So I'd break it down again, using all the memory tricks I've come up with after a long time with MS and the peculiar limits of my brain. Over and over and over and over. I often remembered the challenge of the Goat Milking. But hey....I stay at home on disability. Have I got anything better to do with my mind????? :grinning-smiley-044:

Then one day something CLICKED! Suddenly the verses made sense when they fell off my tongue in the right order. I could ....um, "speak them". Not sure how else to describe it.

:darlenedance: <--- Happy Dance

God and I had done what could not be done with my physically impaired brain. OK, so memorization WAS His Purpose, after all. Now, it's not like magic. I still have to keep going over and over it. If I'm tired, it's harder. But....here it is:

I Cor 10:3-5

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

:cele: [yep, that was all from MEMORY!]

And, I have repeated it to myself in times of need already. I have repeated parts of it to others in time of need already.

:bounce:WHOA! Do you all with normal capacity for memorization know what a powerful tool this is??????

Hey, wait. I'd no more gotten this one down....and HE gave me the next one. I didn't flinch. I'm not all the way through this one but......

Eph. 1:18-20

I pray also that the eyes of your heart would be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which HE has called you, [got stuck....God, help me..] the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who belive. This power is like the working ........[of His mighty strength] <-----currently learning that part.

This is pretty beyond-normal stuff, sisters! [and brothers!] It still requires diligence and work from me but all the diligence and work from me would not accomplish this. God has to make this one happen. I still don't know if these verses will "stick" so that I can ever stop repeating them several times a day. :shrug: It doesn't matter. This is about obeying His assignment and not worrying about if it will be :lol: "worth my effort". Of COURSE obeying Him is gonna be worth the effort! :happy0203:

It's been fun!

MtRider [.....mumbling: "...this power is like the working of His mighty strength...." ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

What a wonderful testimony to God's power and your obedience.

I admire so much your determination in all you do. I sometimes think of you and others on here that persevere under great difficulty. Makes me want to get up and do more, and stop complaining.

I have no words to describe how what your wrote touches my heart.

All I know is that it is stunning to see how His glory hovers over your life. I think the thing that really touches me is not just that He's called you to memorize certain verses in His Word...it's more the journey that you go through with Him as you do.

((((MR))))

I read your post yesterday and was silenced by it. All the chatter in my head (read: pitiful whining about nothing) ceased as it sank in not only what you went through, but the realness of God leading you. Later last night, the conversation with my husband made a quick right-left-right turn and I found myself recounting your story to him (as best as I could remember the details). We came to the conclusion that when people say that God doesn't perform miracles anymore, that we aren't looking in the right places for them. No, he might not move mountains, per say, but he does move hands to milking and minds to memorizing...and those are miracles.

Thank you for blessing me by sharing your story.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just blessed, blessed and blessed by what God is doing in your life Mt Rider. What you have shared is truly inspiring, and it is God's inspiration flowing through you as a gift to others. I love this Word:

I Cor 10:3-5

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

I am emboldened - thank you for sharing and God Bless your heart for Him.

Love in Christ Jesus - Gramma

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Mt Rider

May God bless you even more everyday.

Today at church I was talking to a lady with MS and I told her about you and how the Lord works in your life.

She is struggling, and she asked if she could get to know you. So I thought I would tell you first before I give her info about miss Survival. If that would be okay with you.

Thank you for your posts they are a blessing in my life. :D

Mel

• 4 weeks later...

Oops.....sorry for the delay, Mel. I've been off-line with a lightning-fried modem for 5 weeks.

Sure you can send her to Mrs. S and tell her to send me a PM. Those of us challenged with MS gotta stick together!!!!

-=-==--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As an update to this topic of memorization..... :woohoo: God has continued to give me strength and perseverence to memorize. Now I'm gettin' GREEDY! :lol: I keep running into verses and I think "I want to be able to say that verse to myself in times when I need it NOW....not wait to look it up later. So I'm getting quite a collection.

Now the one thing that still happens. It seems like so far, I still have to recite/review ALL of them almost daily. If not, my brain "deletes the file". Hmmm, might be part of HIS program to keep me reciting His Word daily..... :P

Here are some of the ones that have been helping me out---

I'm currently saying this one a LOT...cuz life has been frustrating and I tend to go off on my rants.... :motz_6: [ see what you miss when you can't see me in REAL life? :busted: ] Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord, your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, HE WILL QUIET YOU WITH HIS LOVE, He will rejoice over you with singing."

"He will quiet you wih His love".....how cool is that?! [Not gonna tell you how many times a day He has to quiet me.... :P ]

------------

Zachariah 2:4 "Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of all the men and livestock in it, and I, MYSELF WILL BE A WALL OF FIRE AROUND IT" declares the Lord. "and I will be its glory within."

That's great because I think "Jerusalem" in this case means all of us Christians [as well as a literal sense] and He is including "livestock" which provisions us. :D So I can quit fretting about things that He's got enclosed within His wall of fire. Not sayin' that literally every duck will be safe from foxes and bobcats......but that He will PROVIDE AND PROTECT us.

-------------

As finances get worse and worse and no second job for DH is available, HE keeps me repeating Jeremiah 29:11 [i call this one of the 'nine-eleven' verses - emergency/catastrophe verses] "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you [even when it seems like the enemy gets to take a free throw at you regularly!]....plans to give you a future and a hope."

Then comes the further instructions: "Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all of your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and bring you back from captivity...." -----from whatever has you captive that lies between you and God!

-----------

OK.....so tell me again why it took me till I was over a half century old to discover how incredibly cool and pragmatic it is to have scripture memorized?????? :o

Anyone else have some favorites.......but ya gotta have them memorized! [tho I peek to make sure to type them correctly! :P ]

MtRider [.....yeah, I'm tryin' to make y'all GREEDY too! :amen: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider