MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

GOTCHA! Grain-Mill!

zophiel

So, I've wanted a grain mill for about a year and a half. I was really lusting over the Country Living Grain Mill, because it seemed, well, awesome. But $395 +shipping +extra parts = a little out of my reach. So I waited, and every now and then checked Craigslist and Ebay. . . but everyone who was selling one knew what they were selling, and nothing was selling for less than $395.

So I waited.

Then yesterday, pondering the recent offer I'd put in on a house, had a sudden whim to check craigslist. I found two listings for a grain mill-- one turned out to be a Country Living Grain mill with motor and cart, and the lady was asking $550 for it. Darn! But, there was another listing, for a family yardsale on the other end of the county, and it only listed "Grain mill".

I figured it was one of those small mills. I shrugged to myself, thinking that if the economy collapses before I collect 40,000 pennies, a small mill is better than no mill, so I might as well get whatever they were selling, as long as it still worked.

Well, I was wrong.

It was a huge, cast iron, fire hydrant red mill, with a motor that the lady tossed in. I turned the flyweel with my hand, and it turned easily. When I asked the price, she said "oh, five bucks . . . "

Five? Shoot, I've got that. . .

Came home, cleaned it up, found the maker -- C.S. Bell Co-- and then looked up on the internet how much it was worth.

Ah. $399.00.

+freight.

Without a motor.

My reaction was something like "HOLY CR@P!" :0327::faint3: which made the roommate come running.

She mentioned a few minutes later. . ."You know, this is a guardian angel thing. . ."

She's right. *high-fives guardian angel* Someone's been pulling some over time recently . . . :thumbs:

So, finally have the grain mill I've been wanting. Have emailed the company for a manual, inquired about spare parts. . .

I leave with a question: Should I lubricate the inner parts and if so, what with?

:D:lol::D

WOW! What a bargain!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I bet the woman would faint if she knew how much it was worth and what she sold it for!

Wow you lucked out big time on that! Send that guardian angel over my way please :D I've been searching on craig's list for ages. Congratulations on such a terrific find and for such a bargain price too.

Foxglove

In talking to the lady selling the mill, I learned that her husband had a hobby of brewing beer in the basement, and he has a smaller mill since he only ever mills in smaller batches. This big one I got was apparently a gift from his or her father which, I suspect, was itself a purchase in a yard sale. Since husband got the smaller mill, they'd been trying to get rid of the larger for a year and a half, for cheap at yard sales, or even giving to charity thrift stores-- who wouldn't take it!

She was so happy to get it out of her house. I felt a little bad about getting such a big, sturdy mill for so cheap, especially with my concerns for the future and the fact that they had a little girl. But, knowing that he at least had a smaller one, and some skills in brewing salved my scruples, and away I ran. (well, staggered, since the mill was so heavy!)

^_^

I'll have to say that I've been looking myself for about a year-- checking craislist and ebay every couple of months. I seriously never thought I'd find anything that way, but was checking just in case. So those of you who've been looking-- keep looking! You never know what you will trip across!

:bounce::balloons::bounce::balloons:

Ya know we're preppers when we throw a party when one of us scores a hunk of metal in a garage sale! :laughkick:

MtRider [....still lookin for that #12 camping dutch oven.... ;) There is always hope! ]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived