MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Philbe, how are your bucket potatoes doing?

We dumped them some time ago and they're "resting" on a screen, covered with a blue insulated pad, in the "man cave" where it's dark etc. Didn't get near as many as we had hoped but we're learning each year on the potato buckets :-)

Pressure canned 7 pints of chili and 7 pints of sweet n sour chicken-4 qts chili-today will do 7 qts of chicken stew just waiting for the dishwasher to finish jars then I will stereilize in boiling water,wanted to do zucchini relish but can't find any large ones at farmers market.Mine did not do any good this year,must be no one else's did either.The chicken I'm using is thighs as they were on sale for 87cents this week,left the bone in for flavor,will remove and cut up before eating.

I wonder if anyone is interested in knowing that per-sterilizing jars hasn't been necessary for some years now. I just give them a wash/rinse to remove any spiders or other renters. It's been proven that sterilization will occur during processing at the 10 minute mark. Saves a lot of time and energy.

I run them through my dishwasher, set them in the sink, fill them with boiling water when I get ready to can, and then fill them one by one with product and set them in my pressure canner (which I have started on a low heat) to wait for the rest of them.

I wonder if anyone is interested in knowing that per-sterilizing jars hasn't been necessary for some years now. I just give them a wash/rinse to remove any spiders or other renters. It's been proven that sterilization will occur during processing at the 10 minute mark. Saves a lot of time and energy.

I just run mine through the dishwasher and that's it. Between the time you pour the water out to the time you fill them, they have become unsterilized. IMHO. I see people on Youtube doing this all the time. Makes me crazy-er.

I picked up 80# of fruit on Friday- peaches, pears, plums. So far in the past couple days- peach salsa, mixed fruit butter, peach butter & grapple "jam" (might be more of a grapple relish, LOL). I've got some soft pears cooking to run through the mill for pear butter. On the plan- peach jam, plum butter, vanilla pear jam & I dunno what else. If you don't hear from me for a few days, I've gone into a sugar coma from taste testing :D

First time ever to make chutney.

The first made 17 1/2 pints.

Pear base, raisins, dried cranberries, onion, mustard seed, pineapple, carrots,

celery, a few chopped dates, nutmeg and cinnamon, brown sugar ,

a little white sugar and a little sleepy honey

2nd batch 6 pints

same as above without the onion or cranberries plus one small hot pepper,

1/2 of a small zucchini and a pint of extra sour apple sauce brown sugar

and a little molasses

You can make chutney with anything that goes together!!

Did a 15# box of beans and 60 ears of corn. Yielded almost 3 dozen wide mouth pints of beans and 3 dozen +5 wmp of corn. :canning:

It's been a while since I've canned, so I'm simply beat.

Realized that I'm out of canned beef so I'm looking for prices on that. . .

And I'm out of marinated mushrooms...and other stuff. :scratchhead:

Seems the dissertation didn't just do a number on my brain - it did a number on my pantry!!!

First time ever to make chutney.

The first made 17 1/2 pints.

Pear base, raisins, dried cranberries, onion, mustard seed, pineapple, carrots,

celery, a few chopped dates, nutmeg and cinnamon, brown sugar ,

a little white sugar and a little sleepy honey

2nd batch 6 pints

same as above without the onion or cranberries plus one small hot pepper,

1/2 of a small zucchini and a pint of extra sour apple sauce brown sugar

and a little molasses

You can make chutney with anything that goes together!!

I guess that's "sorta" what I did when I put tomatoes, okra, onions & bell peppers to use in my pressure canner! LOL

We were given a tree full of apples the other day + an offer of more apple trees from another family who is traveling right now. Since I've got plenty of applesauce canned, I've decided to go back to making apple butter like the olden days. DH loves apple cider so it was easy talking him into ordering an apple press. It should be here shortly. I think I'll leave the tons of apples on the trees until I need them. :woohoo:

What a banner year for apples around here. Last year, we lost up to 95% of the crop due to a late frost. The dormant year has made the wait worth it. I've seen many trees loaded down to the point that the owners are using props under the branches. :thumbs:

AO5 ... don't feel bad about the puppy! We did that about 2 years ago with our dear Abby-girl. She's brought so much joy into our lives. As for apples...my dad has a dwarf granny smith tree and he's wanting us to come pick. Even bought a fruit picker for us to use. We picked about 5# but like you, I've got so many apple products canned or dehydrated that I'm not sure what I'll do with these.

I'm almost done with the 80# of fruit I picked up last Friday. And then...

I just ordered 120# of apples. :faint3:

Somebody knock some sense into me...

Ao5----------> :frying pan: <----------Jeepers

IT'S NOT WORKING!!! I just went & picked up a 7 1/2 week old puppy!!! :faint3:

To can? Oh no...not puppy stew! :icon19: