MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Apple butter boiling as it comes out of crockpot. :hug3:

Six more pints coming out. That's 12 so far with several more loads to make for Christmas gifts. Also drying apples as fast as possible. I'm so grateful my friend let me borrow her Pampered Chef peeler/corer/slicer. I don't think I'd buy a new one, but appreciate the used one for a week. :hapydancsmil:

Apple butter boiling as it comes out of crockpot. :hug3:

Six more pints coming out. That's 12 so far with several more loads to make for Christmas gifts. Also drying apples as fast as possible. I'm so grateful my friend let me borrow her Pampered Chef peeler/corer/slicer. I don't think I'd buy a new one, but appreciate the used one for a week. :hapydancsmil:

We found one at a 2nd hand store a few years ago for $5 and it sure makes the job alot easier! I've got so much apple product canned & dehydrated that I'm in no hurry to do any more :-)

I have the last of the pears heating to mush (haha), so I can run them through the mill. Pear butter coming up :)

Next, I have to deal with the last of the plums & the few left peaches. I'm thinking maybe a plum peach butter.

I also picked up 10# frozen blackberries last week. Thankfully FROZEN! I can take my time with them, LOL!

I found a Pampered Chef peeler/corer at thrift for $7.99 about 2 weeks ago. Just in time, too. I was about to order one for upwards of $20 from Amazon. Last year I was blessed to borrow one, but I'd hate to ask again this year. It's taken a lot of Bar Keeper's friend to get mine clean though (Not sure the previous owners know what cleaning is :yuk: ). Oh well. I saved a small handful of cash :D

Edited by ArmyOfFive4God
  • 3 weeks later...

16 pints of pears with pineapple, 7 qts. of sweet potatoes, 7 qts. of white potatoes, 8 pints of elderberry jelly, a few pints of pear/pineapple syrup. In the past month or so.

Whew...thought you meant all in one day! I was going to inquire what time you got up and when you quit! Or...how many burners & canners you had! LOL

This year, I'm trying half-gallon Ball mason jars for canning apple cider. They say the jars are for apple and grape juice so I'm believing Ball. :hapydancsmil:

I canned four half-gallon jars of apple cider yesterday after pressing a few bushels of apples. It's slow going when doing it after work at night. I'm not as young as I used to be. :pc_coffee: Also drying apple sauce into fruit rolls and drying apple slices when not canning. I asked DH if he's sick of apples yet. He said NO!! :cele: We're down to our last 7 buckets. That's probably what he's looking at. :darlenedance:

16 pints of pears with pineapple, 7 qts. of sweet potatoes, 7 qts. of white potatoes, 8 pints of elderberry jelly, a few pints of pear/pineapple syrup. In the past month or so.

Whew...thought you meant all in one day! I was going to inquire what time you got up and when you quit! Or...how many burners & canners you had! LOL

Would have needed more than 24 hours in a day for that one! Peeling 20 pounds of potatoes, about 12 pounds of pears and God knows how many twigs off of elderberries... They are so tiny and it took 6 quarts for one recipe! One long day ! LOL

Using my 6-qt. pressure canner I canned 3 pints of potatoes this morning while we prepared to leave for the day. The "ping-ping-ping's" were boiling quietly on my work bench when we left. All sealed before we even left! LOL This batch I didn't peel, just washed real good & chunked them up & in they went. Added a little lemon juice and salt since I cold packed them, and they look great.

Edited by Philbe

Did 10 pints of fish yesterday - testing different flavors. They turned out great, and smelled sooo tempting while canning. I think my favorite is the mock smoked catfish, but the jalapeno cat, barbecued cat, and the carp (to taste like salmon) were excellent also. The Alaska Univ. of Fairbanks extension has an excellent booklet online "adding variety to canned fish" giving the mock smoked fish recipe and detailing their taste test with other ways to flavor up canned fish.

Did 10 pints of fish yesterday - testing different flavors. They turned out great, and smelled sooo tempting while canning. I think my favorite is the mock smoked catfish, but the jalapeno cat, barbecued cat, and the carp (to taste like salmon) were excellent also. The Alaska Univ. of Fairbanks extension has an excellent booklet online "adding variety to canned fish" giving the mock smoked fish recipe and detailing their taste test with other ways to flavor up canned fish.

I also found a 'Mormon canned trout' recipe which makes a smoke flavored fish too, only they add bacon as well. Would that make a great chowder, or what?

Mormon Canned Trout

Per pint jar, put on the bottom of the jar:

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp vinegar

1/2 tsp liquid smoke

1 tsp butter

1 inch square of bacon

Pack jar with fish, leaving 1 inch headspace. Do not add liquid. Process at 10 lbs pressure for 100 min.

Edited by kappydell

Vi, I find recipes from Univ of Alaska Fairbanks extension all the time, citing usda sources, that include adding oil to fish that is canned. In fact, the usda guide from the national center for home food preservation specifically describes canning tuna in oil. I don't see the difference between that and adding a small square of bacon, so I respectfully disagree on this one.

Edited by kappydell
  • 3 weeks later...

Applesauce and apple juice. Last week we canned 134 qts of sauce and 21 1/2 gallons of juice. Yesterday we canned 56 qts of sauce. We have more sauce and all the juice sitting on the porch at refrigerator temps to be canned today. We would have had more to can but we burned a pot of the sauce! :( it would have been about 8 qts worth.

Also last week we canned 8 pints of sweet peppers and 15 pints of beets.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday:

Apple butter: 22 half pints, 3 pints, 1 4oz jar

Apple "cider": 4 24oz, 1 pint

Beef stew- 6qts

Today:

Bacon (NOT APPROVED!!! for the record)- 6qts whole slices & I'm cooking some up to make smaller jars of bacon bits

Making applesauce or butter, not sure which, & depending on the time frame, maybe some berry butter or jam &/or cranberry something. Not sure yet, LOL. All I know is it feels GREAT to be canning again!