MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I started out last night with a crockpot overflowing with apples, and ended up this morning with 5 pints of yummy apple butter! I also added 8 more quarts of peas and 2 quarts of yellow squash to the freezer.

I will start canning tomorrow - I have 10lbs of mixed berries for jam, then I am going to go get a few bushels of apples, time for apple pie filling and apple sauce, (I haven't done any of this since before my husband passed away 2 years ago) then hamburger and some chicken. With mom not coming out for her extended stay, I need to stay busy so I don't completely loose my mind! If I didn't have company coming for dinner tonight, I'd start NOW! I was really looking forward to doing this with my mom, she has never canned before!

OK, so I got a 1/2 bushel Granny Smith, 1/2 bushel of Mutsu & a 1/2 peck Of September Wonder (I think) yielded the following:

Apple butter:

6- 12oz

3- 4oz

8 half pints

Cinnamon Apple pancake sauce:

6 half pints

Fried apples-

8 pints

Caramel Apple Jam:

6.5 half pints

Applesauce:

10 pints

1 12oz jar

We also ate quite a few- YUM!!! I think that's everything!

Sunday we visit another orchard to get more apples :D

Today and tomorrow I am making Jam. My mom is actually coming and I got 4 10# bags of chicken leg quarters for less than $5 a bag, I am going to teach my mom who is a REAL CHEF how to can meat next week!!! We are going to get apples too and do that apple pie filling/applesauce/apples with onions that I have been thinking about too. Who knows, maybe she will get bitten by my bug and buy me 20# of HB and I will can that up too!!??

Edited by chefddr

I need your opinions!

My sister and I were talking yesterday about SHTF situation and although we each have a family member in their late 80's obviously we are including them in our group. We have concluded that since I have the house and am out of NY City, it is obvious this will be the BO location. My group is growing! So, since only God actually knows when SHTF will happen, there are now 8 in our core group. I guess it makes sense to can in Quarts vs. Pints? Hmm, now that I am thinking more, even if we lost our seniors, quarts makes more sense since more than half our group are adult males.

Edited by chefddr

I am seriously low on quart jars, used most of the remaining on the chicken soup I canned yesterday. Also did some pints of hamburger and have some more chicken broth to can up today . It may get canned in mayo jars. I have tons of them,bought at yard sales a few years ago,when they started to go to plastic for everything. I figured I'd find a use for glass jars and have dry canned lots in them. Even used for tea glasses too.

18 pints of apple sauce - done!

more apples cooking on the stove - will can it up tomorrow.

The remaining apples (from my 100lbs + purchase) will be apple pie filling in quarts

Then I need more for Apples with Carmalized Onions to go with pork.

THEN ~ 40# OF CHICKEN!

MY MOM THINKS I AM INSANE - LITTERALLY!!!

Son brought me four big papaya's, 8 avadaco's and six (?) some sort of Brazilian fruit...anyway...peeled & cubed the papaya & vacuum sealed 4 bags and put them in my frig drawer, plus one for me tonight for dessert :-) Opened the avacado's and pushed the goodies into a grab bag with lots of lemon, gave them a good squishy-squishy and then vacuume sealed (with lots of room at the top to re-seal) and put them in the frig, to add to ??? LOL The other fruit, I have no idea what they are so I just vacuum sealed them & put them in the frig drawer...perhaps somebody here knows what they are? You can't cut them in half, the inside is like a brick, but the inside is sweet and yellow, somewhat tasting like a pinapple (I sampled one). The outer "rind" resembles a cross between a pear and an apple and is part redish and part greenish. I tried youtube and thought they were Sapapoti but I can't cut them in half and there doesn't seem to be any seeds :-( Anyway...they sure taste good and I'll pull one at a time out and eat it ... as long they last! LOL

Don't know We2. At first is sounded like a mango but they are fleshy inside. Then I looked up guava and they are fleshy inside too. :scratchhead:

Looked up mango saw one of many pictures...and that's what they are :-) How come the "core" is so hard it can't be cut? Anyway...I'll be munchin' away! LOL

DS and I love mango! Not a lot of flesh, the big 'core' is the seed. Sometimes they are kinda stringy, but oh so delish! Enjoy!

We used to go out and pick up Mangoes off the ground in SE Asia. They're a bit difficult to carve up. Use your sharpest knife to slice it away from the seed. We used to look for the ones from the Philippines. They were the biggest and sweetest to eat. We'd dig a hole and plant the seed. We never saw the results of our labor because it took so long to grow a producing tree. :happy0203:

Edited by Homesteader

That's what everyone thinks... that peeling/nibbling is the easy way to handle mangoes but it truly isn't. They're hard to peel and the strands prevent you from getting a good grip. You floss your teeth with those strands! :blink:

Two slices and the hatch cutting....push the thing inside/out and slice the square sections off the back of the peel. Sooooooooooooooooo much easier. But make sure you're making slices on the flat sides of the seed.

MtRider ....wanna know how to pick mangoes? VERY tall trees. My Hawaiian friend demonstrated: stand under tree with hands cupped; look up hopefully and wait. :rolleyes::grinning-smiley-044:

Edited by Mt_Rider
my English isn't working

That's what everyone thinks... that peeling/nibbling is the easy way to handle mangoes but it truly isn't. They're hard to peel and the strands prevent you from getting a good grip. You floss your teeth with those strands! :blink:

Two slices and the hatch cutting....push the thing inside/out and slice the square sections off the back of the peel. Sooooooooooooooooo much easier. But make sure you're making slices on the flat sides of the seed.

MtRider ....wanna know how to pick mangoes? VERY tall trees. My Hawaiian friend demonstrated: stand under tree with hands cupped; look up hopefully and wait. :rolleyes::grinning-smiley-044:

Note taken :-)

I finished up canning chicken veggie soup this weekend. I think I ended up with 32 pints.

I did some ham veggie soup last year and it was a nice change.

I just put 16 pints of corn chowder in the canner. I'm not too sure about it. It's basically chicken veggie soup without the carrots but twice the corn. I suppose it will be a subtle change from the veggie soup but I think it's a stretch to call it chowder.

I still have bean soup to do this week. Having a double decker canner has sure made a big difference. :canning:

The jars are so pretty. :sEm_blush:

I just turned off the canner and waiting for the pressure to go down so I can open it. I'm tired and want to go to bed.

I canned some ham and potatoes. I've never had it but it sounded good. I suppose it will be a nice change from ham and beans that I STILL want to can. I only had enough potatoes for 8 pints so I used the little canner. I'll probably try a jar of them to see if I want to do another load. Although, in an emergency situation I think they would taste just fine! Especially with some cornbread or homemade regular bread to sop up the juice. I think I just talked myself into doing another batch next week.