MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

No canning here.  Spent the day helping hubby blow insulation so we came home and I dumped the leftover stew liquid from last night, added some egg noodles and a couple of left over rolls and dinner was served.  Canning is good...whether you're doing it or eating it! :cele:

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Canned 4 jars of green chili enchilada sauce.  Made 2 pints for DH to “OK” the recipe. Thumbs up..  he said, “ That’s awesome!”.  I think I scored.  

9940AA5E-BF17-4D11-91D4-2EAEBBEF48E9.jpeg

1 jar overflowed and didn’t seal..... green chili chicken enchiladas and chimichangas for dinner in the next week or so.  :happy0203:  Still need to process 10 mor lbs. of tomatillos. :0327:

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

1 jar overflowed and didn’t seal

That can happen...but boy oh boy do those jars look scrumptuous!  As an added note...that's one reason I like Tattler lids.  If one fails I haven't lost a lid.  I just give it a good scrub, dry it off and it's ready for another canning session.  I use the metal ones for things I'm gifting or for foods I'll be using fairly quickly.  Tattler's don't rust so I use them for longer term storage.  But...as I said...that sauce is mouth watering!

• Thanks 1

That chilli does look good.  I had not canned anything since Oct. but on Dec. first we had a good sell on sweet potatoes, so I canned 14 quarts and 8 pints.  That will now be it till after the first of year when I start to get everything out of freezer to can. I really want to get that freezer emptied.  Usually I would get it half empty and then fill it up again with a good sale on meat. This time I am not buying anything till I get the freezer emptied. Then I can start over again.  

• Like 3

snapshotmiki,  that sounds good. Though I have never had pumpkin applesauce. I bet it is good.  I only made fig preserves once when my daughter's neighbor gave her a bunch of figs before she took the fig trees down.  She bought them to me and I make fig preserves. Haven't seen any figs around here since. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kathy003 said:

Annarchy,

Where did you get the recipe for the Enchilada recipe to can the sauce? I looked in my Ball Blue Book, but I must not be looking in the right spot, I couldn't find it. 

:hi:Kathy, great seeing you again.  

Here’s what I found...  https://pinchandswirl.com/green-enchilada-sauce/

Then, canned them per these instructions... 

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html

I doubt the jars will last very long in my house, DH has already munched a jar with his tortilla chips.

I wish I had the Ball Blue Book, instead, I rely on the .edu websites.  I have a couple small canning books, but, they do not cover a lot of things DH likes to eat.  Anytime I get a chance to go to the used book store, 65 miles, 1 way, I search their cooking section.  

• Thanks 1

I jarred up 7 quarts of turkey/vegetable soup.  I still have one turkey on the back porch in the cooler and 5 more in the chest freezer at the homestead...yikes!  It sounded like such a good bargain...until you have to start jarring them "turkeys" up!  Anyway...I'll get it done.  Since my canner was on the stove I drug out my electric pressure cooker and fixed us a "hamburger stew".  EZ PZ.  I had a half pint of carrots and a half pint of celery that didn't seal last week and had them in the frig.  So...I drained them and dumped them in the pot along with some onions, after the potatoes and meat was done.  Very tasty!  

• Like 4

Sounds yummy We2. There is a recipe out there for hamburger stew to can too. I THINK it's called farmers soup. I saw it on Wilhelm's Kitchen and maybe Sutton's Daze. I think it's in the Amish Canning book too. Not sure about that though.

BTW, the lady who wrote that Amish Canning book is coming out with a new book in a few weeks. So far, I think that's my favorite go-to canning book. 

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Sounds yummy We2. There is a recipe out there for hamburger stew to can too. I THINK it's called farmers soup. I saw it on Wilhelm's Kitchen and maybe Sutton's Daze. I think it's in the Amish Canning book too. Not sure about that though.

BTW, the lady who wrote that Amish Canning book is coming out with a new book in a few weeks. So far, I think that's my favorite go-to canning book. 

I first heard of it from my Dad...he always fixed it for the family.  He also fixed what he called "Mulligan Stew" which was everything he could find for leftovers and then some macaroni and diced tomatoes.  He was a very good cook!  I did think about jarring some of it up though!

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Joyfilled

Hi, Annarchy!! I love tomatillos, but haven't had huge success growing tons of it. Any tips? Would love to have your "problem"! :hapydancsmil:

I live in central KS.

47 minutes ago, Guest Joyfilled said:

Hi, Annarchy!! I love tomatillos, but haven't had huge success growing tons of it. Any tips? Would love to have your "problem"! :hapydancsmil:

I live in central KS.

Tomatillos seem to adore sun & heat. I missed some, last year, that had fallen to the ground, and one that got over ripe and ‘popped’ it’s seeds.  I wish I had taken a pic of that, it was as pretty as a flower, lol.  So, this year, all the tomatillo plants are volunteer, several, I had to transplant into their designated area.  The plants start out like a tree, then, go “vining” .  One tomatillo plant’s branches spread over 6 foot radius.

It is hard to give advise how to make them grow, because I live in the AZ desert, and our temps are above normal.  Friday, my car said 108°F.  We are already watering every day, sometimes twice a day to keep the yard & garden from frying.

Oh, and 2 Roma tomatoes are ripe, with a lot more on the plants.  Looks like I will be canning them soon.  And, beets, because they are beginning to bolt.  

• Like 5

Pulled the beets, about a dozen, that were starting to bolt.  Got a gallon of greens, blanched & frozen.  Processed the beats, only to discover 1/2 were already turning pulpy.  Sigh. Got 2 pints canned.  I’ll leave the rest of the beets in the ground for greens.  

09E87C11-28D8-4CF1-BC6E-81C95EAA7592.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking forward to when my tub of them are up, growing and ready.  I planted quite a few.  I enjoy them sweet pickled in chunks.  After canned and "seasoned" I like to open a jar and pop a chunk in my mouth and "mmmmm".  Hubby doesn't care for them much but he will eat one or two chunks.  

• Like 3

I love pickled beets. Every time I make them I end up tasting a plain beet or two and I really like them. I don't know why i never can them nakkid. I have plenty of the half pint jars now so next year I'm going to can both kinds. They are so good for you too. 

• Like 2