MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Today is Pickled Beets, which are my second favorite thing to pickles. Beets are cooked in my electric pressure cooker, which is fast and easy since I can ignore them until done and get everything else ready in the meantime. Once cooked, they will be cooled, skinned, and sliced for putting into the jars.

I am on a meat canning streak. meats in my preps are mostly spam, ham, tuna, and the like, so I am canning up meats in broth. Quality is much better anyway, and I get better variety. So far I have done some beef stew chunks in broth, boned chicken in broth, ham cubes in broth, and even some pickled eggs for fun. I almost forgot - I did some boneless pork ribs too. I have ground beef waiting in the wings. Whatever meat comes on sale I am canning. I even canned up some ham broth from the trimmings to flavor soups and bean dishes.

Edited by kappydell

Today is Pickled Beets, which are my second favorite thing to pickles. Beets are cooked in my electric pressure cooker, which is fast and easy since I can ignore them until done and get everything else ready in the meantime. Once cooked, they will be cooled, skinned, and sliced for putting into the jars.

I love pickled beets too. I put onion slices in mine.

I'm going to have to check out an electric pressure cooker. It's got to be easier than cooking meat in my big pressure canner on the gas stove.

I'm going to have to check out an electric pressure cooker. It's got to be easier than cooking meat in my big pressure canner on the gas stove.

After doing some research I ended up getting the NESCO 6-liter 3-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker. The 3-in-1 means it also acts as a steamer and a slow cooker. I love the automatic feature, just dial in the time and walk away. It builds up the pressure automatically, starts the timer, cools down and then switches to 'warm' until you turn it off. It has a true 10 psi and 15 psi, which many PC's do not really have.

The beets (large ones) took 20 minutes. Smaller ones would be quicker.

It's been forever since I've posted here, but I check here frequently to get ideas for canning and inspiration.

Best website ever in my opinion.

This year I've canned up a storm.

40 pints of chicken breasts

37 pints of apple syrup

53 pints salsa

30 pints green beans

8 quarts of dill pickles

50 pints of peach/jalepeno preserves

20 pints of green tomato relish

I've had a blast!

It's so great to see that stuff on the shelves.

Now I'm off to see what ya'll have been doing!:P

Yes, I know pickled eggs are considered unsafe. I scald jars & lids very well, use a pickling solution at a full rolling boil, and can them under pressure. I don't like the store ones, so I pickle them like dilly beans, with a dill solution. Im the only one that likes them at all, so I do only a few and keep cool until they are eaten. I also tried canning cheese, another no-no, but didn't like how it turned out. So I won''t be trying cheese again.

After doing some research I ended up getting the NESCO 6-liter 3-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker. The 3-in-1 means it also acts as a steamer and a slow cooker. I love the automatic feature, just dial in the time and walk away. It builds up the pressure automatically, starts the timer, cools down and then switches to 'warm' until you turn it off. It has a true 10 psi and 15 psi, which many PC's do not really have.

The beets (large ones) took 20 minutes. Smaller ones would be quicker.

I went to an Outlet mall and found one!!! I think it is the same one, 6 qt. I got it for $60.00! I did had to pay tax but no shipping.

I also got a pretty cool egg beater since I didn't have one. It's manual and the beaters come off for washing. It is shapped like an electric stick blender. Can't think of the name of it right now. It's supposed to be more hand friendly. It's $19.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I got one, with a coupon for $14.00. It was a good day today.

Edited: Because I forgot to thank C.N. for putting me on to the cooker. Thanks!

Edited by Jeepers
  • 4 weeks later...

Kathleen, freeze the broth that won't fit in jars in ziploc bags. If you lay them flat to freeze, they stack nicely in the freezer and take up less room!

I came home to a surprise gift of a giant bag of kiwis on my front porch. Looks like I'll be making kiwi jam tomorrow - a LOT of it!

Everybody has different opinions according to their use, but I absolutely love my electric PC because I can put the ingredients in, set the time it has to cook, and walk away. It does everything automatically and switches to WARM mode until you come back to remove the food.

I also now have a permanent place on my counter and tend to use it far more often than I would with one that sits on the stove, but must be stored away all other times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...