MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Don't have any special plans for today so I am gonna get a load of chicken breast canned.

I really want to do up my own cooking rather than commercial. That stuff always taste "different"

Can hardly wait till I get to make up beef chunks and stews. But for now I have to work on what I have in the freezer. It is packed full but won't be for long. :knary: I'm busy busy busy

• 1 month later...

Raspberry jam and raspberry juice. I have three different jelly bags dripping in my kitchen at the moment... one of the little teeny store bought ones and two that I made a few years ago. My homemade ones hold a LOT of fruit, which is SOOOOO much nicer than the itty bitty ones you get at the store. But I had just a teeny bit more than they could hold this time.

I still have 5lbs of raspberries on my counter. Hmmm.

• 2 weeks later...
Not able to do hardly anything. Have some sort of rare arthritis, they think. I can not even walk in the mornings for hours. So, I am not able to do my normal amount of canning.

My sympathies. I had something similar for several years. My doctor said I had a form of severe Arthritis and not much I could do about it also. Walked like a penguin with a cane and was about to get a walker the pain was so bad in the feet and in my right wrist. To make a short story long, another doctor friend said I should try "Allopurinol" and "Colcrys" since it appeared that I had GOUT not Arthritis though they are related. I've been functioning normally ever since. No pain no cane. Oh yah, I changed doctors for having put me through pain for years for no reason.

Don't give up hope and get other opinions and tests. You might actually find a solution.

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement. At least the last 2 days I have not looked like the Hunch Back of Notre Dame ! I can straighten up better. I take any small victory as being one step closer to being able to function.

I have considered one of those walkers with the seats on it.

Was sitting here debating if I could actually make some blueberry jam. It is the bwb canner that would be the hardest since I have to get it down and fill with water, all that stuff. It is hard to sit and think about wanting to can something and not being able to.

I am going to go look on Amazon for a new canning book, LOL.

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement. At least the last 2 days I have not looked like the Hunch Back of Notre Dame ! I can straighten up better. I take any small victory as being one step closer to being able to function.

I have considered one of those walkers with the seats on it.

Was sitting here debating if I could actually make some blueberry jam. It is the bwb canner that would be the hardest since I have to get it down and fill with water, all that stuff. It is hard to sit and think about wanting to can something and not being able to.

I am going to go look on Amazon for a new canning book, LOL.

Violet, I watched a youtube this morning of a lady (Wisconsin Gardner?) who uses a "steam" waterbath canner (she has 2) because it only takes about 2 quarts of water and you don't have to cover your jars. You also don't have to lift anything heavy. I've never seen them before this video.

Philbe, they will not kill bacteria with just steam, unless it is under pressure in a pressure canner. Please, do not try using one of those steam canners. The jars must be covered in boiling water with the water over the tops of the jars by 1 or 2 inches in order for them to heat enough to kill bacteria.

Philbe, they will not kill bacteria with just steam, unless it is under pressure in a pressure canner. Please, do not try using one of those steam canners. The jars must be covered in boiling water with the water over the tops of the jars by 1 or 2 inches in order for them to heat enough to kill bacteria.

Yeppers, I know that. She was preserving tomatoes. Sorry about the confusion.

Nothing...it's just too darn hot!

I planned to can some soup this week but yesterday it was 94 and today it is 93. Plus I could get a headache real easily. It is supposed to be cooler next week so I'm aiming for then. I have plenty of 'not so hot' things to do in the mean time. OR, I might prep the veggies tonight and can early tomorrow morning.

Done some waterbath stuff the past couple of days...makes my kitchen feel like a sauna! But I didn't have enough to fire up the dehydrator (I don't use it unless I can put on at least 3 trays). My preference is to wait until I can stack 8+ trays of veggies, and I want to can and freeze more this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Pressure canned 8 half pints of my own spiced tomato sauce. I use my Vita-Mixer so I don't have to peel "nuttin"...LOL I just freeze the tomatoes, dump them in boiling water, and and then I put the cherry tomatoes into the Vita Mixer with the chopped onion, and all my spices and then turned that puppy on. By the time it comes out of the VitaMixer, it's warm, but I dumped it into my stock pot and brought it to slow boil so it would be hot, put it into my hot jars, put on my hot lids & rings, and then into the warming up pressure canner. Everything went 100% according to plan! LOL! So thanks to all of you for your encouragement to start pressure canning. I've held it off for a long time, doing only water bathing & dyhydrating...but TODAY ... I did want I wanted to do! I only did half pints since it's only us two. It'll be plenty to pour over speghetti's etc.

Edited by Philbe

Told ya so! :24:

I figured you'd be pressure canning by the end of this year. CONGRATULATIONS!

I can a lot in half pint and pints too. They are just the right size for one or two people.

Thanks Jeeps...for having confidence in Philbe! The only canning experience I ever had was with mom in her kitchen, when I was a kid so I really doubted my own abilities to can safely. Now...to eat it!

Told ya so! :24:

I figured you'd be pressure canning by the end of this year. CONGRATULATIONS!

I can a lot in half pint and pints too. They are just the right size for one or two people.

Thanks Jeeps...for having confidence in Philbe! The only canning experience I ever had was with mom in her kitchen, when I was a kid so I really doubted my own abilities to can safely. Now...to eat it!

I knew you were a 'can do' kinda girl!

I helped Wormie can tomatoes today....in my mind. :happy0203: