MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I wouldn't know what's worse...the loss or the mess.

The mess definitely wins out. Amazingly the majority of the jars survived the cascading fall from as high as 5 feet. The result was a volcano-shaped pile of pick-up-stix jars and shelving parts. Moving the wrong item resulted in more jars moving/falling and potentially breaking. So delicate was it that I chose to grab jars bare handed to move them. After cutting myself twice I gave up that luxury and used leather gloves and an extension grabber when I could. Slow process and it will be days or longer to grab and move individual jars. Amazingly not a single jar unsealed. It was all glass breakage and mostly the quart jars.

Afterwards it will be inventorying what is left and what needs to be canned again. Everyone, keep up your canning and brag about it. I need the encouragement in the coming weeks and months. :thumbs:

I was thinking the mess would be worse too. I'd probably look at it and wonder where in the world to start first. A shovel, a bucket and a trip to the dumpster? Did you hear the crash or did you just happen upon it? What were the shelves made of...wood, plastic, other? I need to take a second look at mine now. It makes my heart sink thinking about it.

Good news, bad news;

Good news...you're getting your stock rotated.

Bad news...you're getting your stock rotated.

Sending you 'new canning' encouragement!

Your list for Christmas gifts has just been simplified ..... canning jars from family and friends. That should help with this stressful situation. :hug3:

Thinking into the future, wintertime is a great time to improve your canning skills, and try some new recipes. :cele:

The canning disaster may also help you draft up a garden plot sooner than usual to replace the type of food you lost. ;)

What a challenge. You can do it. You already have the skills to catch-up to us. We'll be here cheering you on!! :hapydancsmil:

Did you hear the crash or did you just happen upon it? What were the shelves made of...wood, plastic, other? I need to take a second look at mine now.

I was standing right in front of it and it was my fault. I was looking for the last jar of Apple Pie Jam for a friend and put my hand on the shelving as I leaned forward. That's all it took for time to slow down horribly and watch the event unfold. Shelving was metal with plastic connectors and the latter appears to have been the breaking point. And to think I was considering reinforcing those areas just days before.

And this was not in a basement, but inside my house along one wall with carpeting and everything. If I could have just scooped it up and tossed I would have, but life is never that easy. I've had to deal with the situation one jar at a time and, as of this morning, I still have about a foot high jumble of jars (50-100) and an odor of pickle juice despite not finding a broken pickle jar....yet.

Enough said. I've hijacked this thread enough already.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up on canning apple jelly. Have tried 3 times and end up with more of an apple juice (which I can't stand!) that has just wasted my time, my sugar etc. I'll just buy the little jars & call in done! LOL

I can't make it either. It either turns out runny or I over compensate and cook it too long. I just stick with jam, chunky applesauce or apple butter.

This past month we have created Prickly Pear Marmalade, Prickly Pear Jelly, and about 14 pints of Chorizo Sausage. Today I'm canning Breakfast sausage!!!

{{{Canned Nerd}}} I am sorry for your loss!!!

For the record...those Jar Totes are indestructable!!! They stack well, and I feel very secure using them. Unfortunately they are VERY EXPENSIVE. We just buy a couple at a time.

Happy canning, y'all!!!

Baked up a dozen or so, vacuum sealed, cooked hamburger patties. They're so handy when we're on the run and want to take lunch with us. Just nuke them and add some cheese & mayo etc., and wrap them in foil, and into our little soft-side cooler, and we're off! Not necessarily canning...but preserving. Working at the Little House, we'll be able to heat them etc., there. May take a package or two and put them in the tiny little freezer of the dorm frig we currently have at LH until we move & take this frig with us.

Most of this will go for the dog/cat. I got a case cheap,

past its prime as it was overly freezer burned.........

Otherwise,

Visions of pot pies danced in my head......

a la king on toasted homemade bread....

sandwiches with lettuce and spice

Now that really sounds nice!