MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

We did 12 quarts, 1 pint of purple hulls and Mississippi Crowder Peas...I'm not sure how many of each kind...So much work, even with electric pea sheller..Wonder if they are worth it, but gives us some variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my hand at some spaghetti sauce for the first time this weekend. Didn't care for the way it turned out though. I simmered the tomatoes with garlic and peppers in the crock pot over night. Added some other ingredients and let them cook in the following morning, then pureed it all in the blender. After it came out of the canner, all the pulp rose to the top as it cooled and the liquid settled to the bottom of the jars. It was only 2 quart jars thankfully.

I'd say I've got the beans down pat, but other stuff is still trail and error with me.

Thank you WormGuy. I didn't have near enough tomatoes for your recipe.*L* Also I was trying to avoid peeling. I tossed them in the crock pot with the skins. (I did core them.) The pureed in the blender.

Do you leave yours cooking on the stove top or crock pot/ roaster oven(on low setting) for 16 hours?

Daelith, I run my tomatoes thru one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-1951-Original-Sauce-Master/dp/B0000DDVMQ

Then put the juice in a large pot, add the spices and other things and slowly cook. I cook for about 12 hours the first day, let it cool & put the pot in the fridge overnight. The next day I put the pot back on the stove and continue cooking it down until it is thick enough. The hard part is having to stir it all the time so it doesn't stick. If I had the funds I would invent a device that would stir the pot so I don't have to.

:wormie2:

John

Canning peaches today. We always get a bin (18-20 bushels) of nectarines to can but this year the entire crop was killed by frost. We only got 9 half-bushel boxes of peaches for $11 a box. Too expensive to get any more. They are delicious though. Cheapest ones we could find anywhere and had to go to West VA to get them. Around here they were $24 a box for #2s!

Edited by Daylily

Salsa is simmering, thanks, Wormie, my recipe did not say how long..maybe if it did too many people would be discourage by the long time...

But I started the salsa first..it would also help if past tomatoes were used as they are not so juicy.

Nectarines waiting until there is an empty burner, as are the canned tomatoes coming up plus juice......

I went to the produce auction and got 80 lbs of tomatoes for $22. a bushel of nectarines for $14, and 15 lbs of marconi peppers for $7.

If I get this all taken care of this week. I want to go back and get corn.......it was selling for $1.85- 3.25 for 5 dozen ears. 5 dozen will fill a gallon jar once it is dried and you can dry it in the oven!!

We did 12 quarts, 1 pint of purple hulls and Mississippi Crowder Peas...I'm not sure how many of each kind...So much work, even with electric pea sheller..Wonder if they are worth it, but gives us some variety.

I remember when my grandparents got an electric pea sheller. People would come day in and day out, and stand in line (or sit in line, around the carport, talking) watching it work and waiting a turn. It was only around one summer, though, and then we went back to grandkid-power.

We bought a nice sheller about 4 years ago...I wanted to increase our variety of veggies, but shelling enough peas etc. by hand, wasn't worth it. By the time we would shell the peas/shelly beans, everything else in the garden would rot, from neglect.

This year I have had to re-think the amount of sharing I was doing with my stuff...I bought a very nice and expensive chamber vacuum sealer a few years ago. It sealed better than "Foodsavers" and the bags for the chamber machines are dirt cheap compared to the "Foodsavers." This summer my sweet machine quit working...It costs well over $100 just to ship it into the company for repairs. I was sharing with my neighbors...My machine, my bags, and even my produce. I wonder how much more use I would have gotten out of it, if I hadn't shared. The same thing with my 4 year old tractor...I shared that too...My diesel, my tractor, my equipment...This year the tractor needs an alternator, a safety switch, and more....I can't afford to buy things to use to take care of my family and maintain them for my neighbors. I don't want to be selfish, but....I loaned my tractor to my neighbor...He sold his nice tractor. I told him it wasn't to go down the road. It isn't road ready, which means it isn't insured for the road. I looked out the window and there it went. My neighbor was driving it down the blacktop to borrow an attachment from another farm, that he wanted to use on his garden...AND he made the deal that he would use MY tractor to plow that guys garden, in exchange for my neighbor using his subsoiler.....I was not happy! This year when he trotted over to ask to use my tractor I told him I couldn't loan it anymore, because I depend on it to feed my children, and I just couldn't afford to maintain it. My neighbor hasn't been back over...Not even once! I get used very easily...One of my new goals is to learn to nicely say no...It's hard though.....

Sad the way people don't mind using other people's things, but don't want to help maintain them. We've had people offer to loan us their rear tine tiller, but we still go to Home Depot to rent one because we are afraid to use someone else. We don't know how well they maintain it.

Anyway, I went to the farmer's market Saturday and picked up 5 lbs of butter beans and a few ears of corn. Canned the butter beans yesterday. 9 pints total. Used two ears of corn to make 2 of the jars into succotash. . Had a handful left over to cook up for dinner.

Thought I had a jar break about 15 minutes in on the cooking. Heard a loud pop inside the canner. Everything was fine when I was able to open the lid though.