MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Five quarts of tomatoes. I give many tomatoes away and the blemished ones are canned around here. There's plenty for everyone. :D

Also processed 26 containers of honey from our hive.They will make Christmas presents and gifts to neighbors who enjoy our bees pollinating the local flower gardens. :thumbs:

SCOOOORE! (Hadda say it...) Yesterday room-mate walks in with a bushel of cucumbers from the neighbor. He was going to throw them away because they were bearing heavily and nobody over there had time (or I suspect inclination, in this heat) to can them.

Canned 40 pints of assorted pickles...bread & butter, hamburger dill slices, celery-infused pickles, and so on. Finally got down to the last 4 pints (not enough for another canner load) made those into refrigerator pickles using ye-olde 'universial pickle' recipe.

Could have frozen some I suppose, but they last longer canned (and not all that much room in the freezer right now)...

No way am I letting all those cucumbers go to waste! Took much of the day, but still managed to bake some bread, get dinner, and sneak in a couple hours of fishing! Tomorrow we tote all those jars downstairs. Worth every bit of effort.

My canning is over unless something else comes along.

In the last 3 weeks I have canned tomatoes 53 pints, in various ways

one bushel of nectarines into preserves, jam and halves

one bushel of Bartlett pears in halves, chopped, fruit cocktail

just finished this morning the chicken 18 qts.

I think all my pints have been filled, but still have plenty of quarts left for meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Was given several bags of Concord grapes. I read the Ball book instructions and ended up with a juice that was way too strong for us. I opened several quarts of our canned apple cider and thinned down the grape juice. Yummy! :thumbs:

I recanned all of the juice and have many pints of grape/cider juice for this winter. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I thought I would get out canning this year since I have had the dehydrator going almost 24/7. But were blessed with a huge sack of deer meat, from another person I was given 10# of bones, they didn't know what to do them so they stuck them in the freezer. Plus I caught ground pork discounted. Today and tomorrow I am on vacation so here are the plans...

Deer Meat - turned in to stew and canned

Deer Meat - turned in to chili and canned (with beans of course they are soaking as I type)

Deer Meat - just canned with no seasoning except salt

Bones are in the crock pot with onion, pepper and salt. Going to make beef broth out of them which will be canned.

Ground pork turned into Italian sausage which dictates making spaghetti.

Not sure what part of VACATION I do not understand but that is my to do list for this weekend.

Oh and I have about 15 pounds of apples that I need to make applebutter out of - yes that will happen this weekend also.

Me thinks I need a bigger kitchen.

We finished canning 56 quarts of apple juice, 48 quarts of apple cider, 87 quarts of applesauce, 133 pints of grape juice, 51 twelve oz. jars grape jelly, 13 more quarts of green beans...Took about a week though...Tomorrow hopefully apple jelly and more green beans...Then the canners get packed away for a while....

Mommato3boys and Mom11--- What yall need is a bigger kitchen and a bunch of helpers. Whew, I'm tired just hearing what you have done!!! Mom11, where in the world do you store so many jars? Mommato3boys, wish someone would give me some deer meat. Your bunch will be eating good this winter!

Mommato3boys and Mom11--- What yall need is a bigger kitchen and a bunch of helpers. Whew, I'm tired just hearing what you have done!!! Mom11, where in the world do you store so many jars? Mommato3boys, wish someone would give me some deer meat. Your bunch will be eating good this winter!

We built cinder block and board shelves, that line the 4 basement rooms, wall to wall.....And then there are more jars piled on the floor. It took a long time to get to this level. I set money aside, for fruit, meat etc...Then buy a bin of apples, 12 boxes of grapes, a cow...But I have to keep this in mind all year long...My chicks know the season...Cherry time, peach time, apples, grapes, meat, veggies....We eventually got 4 pressure canners, 3 steam juicers, and our Mennonite friends bought us a wonderful outdoor, stainless steal water bath canner...Really this is all we do, besides school...Gardening, canning, maple tapping, home projects....We have our grow tunnels almost complete for our winter garden...I guess we are gamblers...Seed gamblers! Someone came to do a repair here and they guy wanted to know how long did all this take us...I couldn't even guess..Depends on what you count...Growing, prepping, canning...My daughter said to just say "It's a lifestyle!" Really it is....The thing is, the more you do for your own, the less you want store bought...So we are spoiled....(We also now share very LITTLE...Selfish huh!?)

I just took 7 quarts of purple hull peas out of the canner! Looks to be about 5 bags to go in the freezer. One more bushel to do tomorrow. I'd rather have them all in the freezer, but space is limited. I'm cooking some to eat later. My house smells so good! I love fresh peas! (I usually lay a few pods of whole okra on top of my peas, but I'm too tired to go digging in the freezer to find them.)

6.5 half pints of Caramel Apple Jam.

Showoff!!

:bighug2:

:wormie2:

John

I feel like it's battle of the apples, the way we keep listing apple-y goodies, LOL. I don't mind sharing the recipe :wub: It tastes like Cracker Barrel Fried Apples. My wheels have been turning since I figured that out.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/homemade-gift-series-3-caramel-apple-jam/

We always say apples are the worst to can...Such a mess...Then the grapes come.....

We always pray the apples are done, before the grapes come, but this year...They were here together! What an icky, sticky mess! Thankfully all done now!

Yum, Mom11!

Today I did 8 pints of Fried Apples. I had a bunch of syrup leftover & about a pint worth of the apple slices left. I whizzed them with my immersion blender, ran them through a sieve to get the skins out & canned 6 half pints of apple-cinnamon pancake syrup. Oh.My.WORD!!! DELISH!