MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

hot here the last couple weeks, and gardens were 'off' this year due to odd weather. so i'm dehydrating on-sale celery instead.

Put up 12 pint jars of sliced peaches today (1 peck). Tomorrow we'll put up the other peck in peach butter, didn't want to do a marathon today. Had a half pint of the peaches left over so stuck them in the frig, and after supper added some instant clear gel (I had used some to thicken the gravy of our crockpot meal) to them, some granola & whipped cream...oh my! LOL

Edited by The WE2's

Ouch, MomM. Hope you are over that soon. I feel so lazy when everyone else is working so hard. We2s, it has never even occurred to me that you can freeze potatoe salad. What is the texture like, and do you have egg in it?

I do not add eggs and I strain the relish. Texture is pretty good as far as we're concerned :-)

Total for peaches: 12 pints of peach slices in white grape juice, 24 half pints of peach preserves (used the Ball recipe and it turned out great!) and 12 half pints of peach preserves. Now...tomorrow? Rest of the potatoes probably and I want to "create" a green bell pepper relish to can :-)

Found out the "hard" way ...went to pick up the lid of a small stock pot from the top of my stove. Didn't realize part of it had been resting against a hot burner and did I do a scorch on my right forefiner and right thumb...excactly where I picked it up and quickly dropped it to the floor! Plunged my hand into some ice cube water for a bit, then pinched off a stem from my aloe plant, sliced it in half and wrapped part on my finger and part on my thumb. Let it be for about 5 minutes, then went for my "Skin Relief" salve (from a Mennonite store), buttered the burns real good and wrapped them in gauzy bandaids...in very little time, no pain. Just using a kitchen glove on my right hand while washing dishes, jars, pots & canners, and stirring hot apples etc. Will just let it be. No pain is good :-)

Today we finished up the last of the 50# potatoes :-) We figure we've canned a total of 125# of food this past week or so :-) Also made some instant pudding from a recipe that I'm Still Workin put online a few years ago. Used vanilla & yellow food coloring, and it was soooo good! Good shtf dessert :-)

• 3 weeks later...

9 pints of apple slices in juice. DH was supposed to pick up some apple juice for this but he forgot. In the freezer, I found about 1/2 gallon of leftover strawberry juice (actually a mixture of apple, white grape and the juice from the strawberries where we froze some in the spring) so I used that plus some white grape. It turned out really good!

These apples are from our tree. Mom thinks is a Cotton Sweet because they taste like the ones she remembers from her childhood. They are quite dry and keep their shape really well when canned. We've canned them in various flavors of juice. Last year we used Mixed Berry and Raspberry. Those were delicious. I'm gong to get some more juices tomorrow when we go grocery shopping. We have another tree that we call Banana Apple that cans up the same way.

We've dehydrated red bell peppers. I think we have 4 pints dried now. And a gallon bag of dried sweet corn. Our total canned nectarines is 172 quarts.

dry canning quite a few jars of dehydrated foods today.

otherwise, my only news was that I opened a pint of pickled eggs I put up 5 yrs ago. except for the dill being stronger than I liked they were delish! next time i do a batch i'll leave out the dill. They made wonderful egg salad and deviled eggs.

Got the recipe from a Jackie Clay article in Backwoods Home magazine quite a few years back.

dry canning quite a few jars of dehydrated foods today.

otherwise, my only news was that I opened a pint of pickled eggs I put up 5 yrs ago. except for the dill being stronger than I liked they were delish! next time i do a batch i'll leave out the dill. They made wonderful egg salad and deviled eggs.

Got the recipe from a Jackie Clay article in Backwoods Home magazine quite a few years back.

I've considred pickling some eggs. Thanks for the reminder! Oh...recipe please?

Set out to thaw two large packages of chicken thighs that we bought some time ago in the "Pick 5 for $19.99. They didn't completely thaw until late this afternoon, so put them in the 5-day cooler with an ice pack and insulated silver bubble pads so they'll be ready first thing tomorrow :-) Love that 5-day cooler! It doesn't live up to the 5 days without adding extra ice, but it does great for 2 or 3 days with ice packs. We put it on the carry-all on the back of the motorhome to carry extra foods (the frig is very little...not big like the one in the travel trailer).

PICKLED EGGS (shelf stable)

hard boiled eggs (as many as you want to pickle and can fit in jars)

then per each quart (or 2 pints) of eggs:

3 cups vinegar

1 small dry red pepper (opt)

1 TB pickling spice (I use mustard seed and dill, usually)

2 tsp salt

Boil the eggs hard and peel them. (If they are fresh, it helps to boil them them toss them around in a dry pan to crack them while they are hot. I usually boil older eggs as they are easier to peel.) Immediately put hot, UNpeeled eggs in several changes of cold water until they cool. Soak in cold water 1 hour in the refrigerator after they cool down. Then peel them.

Pack eggs in widemouth jars (much easier to get out) leaving 1 inch head space. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, pepper and seasonings enough to fill your jars. Bring liquid to a boil, then pour boiling liquid over the eggs to cover them completely. Process 20 min in a boiling water canner.

I liked this recipe, but I will make my next batch without the dillweed; it got pretty strong in the 5 years they were in the jar. Otherwise, they were very, very tasty. I also leave a little over 1 inch head space when packing the eggs, so I can cover them with the brine and still leave 1 inch headspace for processing. Eggs that are not covered with liquid when processing turn strange colors (brownish) in storage - very unappetizing. All in all a success....now I'm waiting for a sale on eggs.....

3 cups vinegar

2 tsp salt

Boil the eggs hard and peel them. (If they are fresh, it helps to boil them them toss them around in a dry pan to crack them while they are hot. I usually boil older eggs as they are easier to peel.) Immediately put hot, UNpeeled eggs in several changes of cold water until they cool. Soak in cold water 1 hour in the refrigerator after they cool down. Then peel them.

Pack eggs in widemouth jars (much easier to get out) leaving 1 inch head space. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, pepper and seasonings enough to fill your jars. Bring liquid to a boil, then pour boiling liquid over the eggs to cover them completely. Process 20 min in a boiling water canner.

I liked this recipe, but I will make my next batch without the dillweed; it got pretty strong in the 5 years they were in the jar. Otherwise, they were very, very tasty. I also leave a little over 1 inch head space when packing the eggs, so I can cover them with the brine and still leave 1 inch headspace for processing. Eggs that are not covered with liquid when processing turn strange colors (brownish) in storage - very unappetizing. All in all a success....now I'm waiting for a sale on eggs.....

Thanks, printing it out now to put in my cooking reference binder...it's about 5" thick :-)

Just took 5 quarts of bone in chicken thighs from my canner and they're cooling. Wanted to use pint jars but ran out! Imagine that :-) Oh well, I just added a little bit of water to the jars and it made a nice broth that I can make gravy out of when I open the jar. Most people just don't know how wonderful your home canned meats are when you want a burrito, a taco, an omelet, a casadilla, a pizza, a sandwich spread, stews or soups.

Haven't removed the rings and washed the jars yet...but I'll do that in the morning.

post-9087-0-96506500-1441396107_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Yessiree Jeeps! I have about 5 cases of the quarts that are new and about 5 cases that used Mason/Ball/Atlas jars. All the used ones are in really good shape :-) I'll use them for canning soups etc. so we'll be making a trip to our favorite Mennonite store to pick up several more pint jars and maybe a few more half pints. I intend to continue canning as long as I can and hopefully be able to set back some extra jars just in case. In emergencies, we'll be eating the foods even more and will have jars to can up again. Sure am looking forward to having my "extra" kitchen in the big man cave garage :-) We'll be putting a storm shelter in one corner and I want my extra kitchen on the other corner, where the open overhead door is :-)

post-9087-0-60303300-1441419432_thumb.jpg

That garage is truly a thing of beauty! Sigh, a thing of beauty.

I'm prepping for when I can't get out or I become sick and need to live off of what I have here right now or when my money runs out. An earth shattering event is always in the back of my mind but in the front of my mind is, even if nothing earth shattering happens in the world, it could still happen in MY world. I guess getting older and living alone changes your idea of what a disaster can be.

WE2, you are so very fortunate to have a strong, handy and willing partner who loves you so much. :wub:

I'm sure he looks good and smells good too!

Thanks, printing it out now to put in my cooking reference binder...it's about 5" thick :-)

Edited by kappydell

3 cups vinegar

2 tsp salt

I have quite a few of those binders myself....a regular library! I have a thing about hard copies.

I also have lots of 3x5 card files to hold assorted recipes - game of all sorts, forage foods, canning, dehydrating, pickling and brining, smoking and curing, camp foods, herbs by plant, herbs by ailments, and of course 6 of them just to hold my 'regular' recipes... I even have a 3x5 card binder with survival notes gleaned from multiple military manuals in easy reach in case of bug-out....I'm a long time student of life in general I guess. Jane of all trades, master of none....