MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Monday I canned some Pork boneless ribs.

I'm thinking I should get some jelly made.          I didn't get much canned this summer, just some green beans.     I had wanted to get some pickles, tomatoes and salsa canned, but didn't make it.   :(     

• Like 2

Miki, I couldn't find how much bone meal to give them. I did find a couple of websites talking about it though.

Be careful where you buy your bone meal from. Do not buy it from the lawn and garden places. They are meant to be used in fields along with fertilizers and can contain toxic material. And most of them are shipped here from China. Their standards are low to begin with but if they know it is going to farmers fields, then who knows what they put in it. The best place to buy it, according to the sites I've seen, is from a pet store.

They also mentioned about it being heat treated. Not sure why that makes a difference but evidently it does. If you feed your dogs too much bone meal it can cause constipation and severe pancreatitis.

Could you call your vet and ask? They would probably have to look it up and get back to you. They shouldn't charge you for just a phone call.

If I find anything else I'll post it.

https://pets.thenest.com/add-bone-meal-homemade-dog-food-5975.html

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/116373829-5-things-you-need-to-know-about-bone-feeding-and-dogs

• Like 1
On 11/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, snapshotmiki said:

How much bone meal should I use per pound of meat?

I suppose the amount of commercial bonemeal is going to vary a bit depending on brand. Here’s a site I just found that looks pretty decent. It discusses how to balance calcium and phosphorus. Homemade Dog Food Nutrition

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I suppose the amount of commercial bonemeal is going to vary a bit depending on brand. Here’s a site I just found that looks pretty decent. It discusses how to balance calcium and phosphorus. Homemade Dog Food Nutrition

Thank you!  Great article and lets me know what to change next time I make it!

• Like 1

WELL FINALLY FINISHED MY 2000LBS OF APPLES MY TREES GAVE ME AND COULD HAVE DONE MORE AS ABOUT 5OO LBS FELL TO THE GROUND, WE WILL MOVE THEM AND LET THE DEER  ELK AND BEARS HAVE THEM AND ANY OTHER CRITTERS, BUT I HAVE APPLESAUCE PLAIN, APPLESAUCE WITH STRAWBERRies MASHED IN THEM AND THE TASTE ALOT LIKE STRAWBERRIES , CINN.RE HOTS APPLESAUCE, APPLE BUTTER, APPLE JELLY , CRAB APPLE JELLY , DRIED APPLE GALORE, AND 30+ gallons in the freezer

then i processed 4 geese today  , how about you

have celery to can  and dry and then 2 cases of tomatoes in freezer to can and make pizza sauce  from them and bar b que sauce to make and can,,,,what did you do this week

mom

• Like 4

Didn't do any jarring up but I did use my electric pressure pot and made up several bags of brown long grain rice for the freezer.  Vacuum sealed them in 2 cup bags...our size...or several servings for our Abby-girl's lunch supplement (along with a few of her kibbles).  Like having rice ready made, just throw a bag in boiling water or steam in a bowl in the microwave, and it's ready.

• Like 2

Put a frozen chicken in my large electric pressure cooker and 90 minutes later I've got a nice, tender and juicy chicken with lots of broth.  Picked it and got 5 bags of chicken chunks, one large bag with the carcass and extra bones for making additional broth, and a quart of broth that I put in frig.  Everything's secure and ready for for making more broth and then pressure canning it.

We've went to Aldis and the Sav-A-Lot.  They had turkeys on sale.  Last year we waited for the after holiday sales...that didn't happen.  So we picked up our limits at both places.  Meet freezer now has four 15# turkeys....2 butterball.  Also picked up 4 more chickens and some sausage chubs (1$ each) to put in our meet freezer. It was snowing the whole time.  So far we've got about an inch but it is still coming down a little bit.  Guess we'll weird, we don't mind the snow and have been known to go snow shoeing if it's deep enough.  Abby-girl hasn't been able to go snowshoeing with us since she was about a year old.

3 hours ago, motherearth said:

am drying celery from  garden have alot more to do and then will can the stems in 1/2 pints and pints

have 21  large  stalks of celery

take care and keep the faith

Early this summer I jarred up half pints of large chunks of celery. Never thought about just doing stems.  What I can say is I sure loved it when I opened a jar and dumped it into my electric pressure cooker when I was making stew!  

• Like 1
On 11/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, The WE2's said:

Early this summer I jarred up half pints of large chunks of celery. Never thought about just doing stems.  What I can say is I sure loved it when I opened a jar and dumped it into my electric pressure cooker when I was making stew!  

Tell me more about HOW to do this! :canning:

7 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Tell me more about HOW to do this! :canning:

I cut them in chunks about an inch or so, then put them in a pot and bring them to a boil for 5 minutes.  Then I put them in half pint jars, use the liquid I boiled them in, clean the rims, added the lids, put on the rings and processed them for 30 minutes at 10# pressure.  They didn't dissolve and when I used them in my stew they retained their "chunk" and we could definitely taste them when we bit into them.  Hope this helps, it's just the way I do it. I'm sure there's other info on the internet.

• Like 2

I add celery in my soups and stews when canning. I just put them in the jars with the other veggies and process them. I process them as long as the longest item needs processed. Usually the potatoes or the meat. I can my veggies raw.

They are soft but still hold their shape and flavor.

• Like 1

Thank you ladies. I am hoping that celery will be very inexpensive in the next week or so because of Thanksgiving Day sales and I was thinking on buying some up for canning. Celery is one of the few low-carb veggies that I use when I make veggie soup and it would be nice to have some on hand for that purpose. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Bought some windfall apples at a local orchard. I canned up several dozen half-pints for my mom and some cooking/baking around our place. The pints disappear too fast around here, or get lost behind the huge cabbages and bags of kale in the refrig. Harvest time is always a stress on the refrig.    :tapfoot:  Tomorrow is more applesauce and canning up the turkey I baked yesterday. Thanksgiving is next week but TWO turkeys wouldn't fit in the freezer. One of them became canned meat for the next year.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4

Blueberry refrigerator jam ... at son's request ... and took them over to him.  Just a small batch because I was using Instant Clear Gel and wanted to get them over to him.  Put the rest of the berries in the freezer for "next time" when I use regular Clear Gel (don't have any frig room since we stocked up on everything for the month).  

101_0845.JPG

Ohhhh. That looks so good! I'd like to start some blueberry plants next year. Indiana has very good blueberry crops. Sometimes they open up the fields and let you pick for free. At least they used to. I'm wondering if it would pay for me to use my space to plant them.