MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

10 lbs of asparagus - salt free

I LOVE canned asparagus dumped on top of a green salad but the commercial stuff is loaded with sodium. So, I'm canning away while the local asparagus is cheap and in season! 18 pints so far this year, hoping to get the jar count up to 56 (one a week) before the season ends!

I'll also be making some orange marmalade for gifts out of our remaining citrus. We're getting a little tired of oranges, lemons and tangerines and I don't want any to go to waste!

Happy Canning!

8 1/2 pints of Violet's marinated mushrooms and 9 pints of seasoned ground beef finishing up! WoooHoooo, I hear you Violet. We have the world's best mushrooms here on the West Coast. Why on Earth are we buying canned crap from China? BTW, only 14 lbs of seasoned ground beef left to go this weekend! Let's get er done!

• 2 weeks later...

I canned up some venison stew meat - just cubed up meat - made 14 pints. It is so handy to have it on the shelf for quick dinners!

Pulled some blackberries out of the freezer and made some jam - 7 jars. First time for blackberries - I think I should have strained out some of the seeds. Oh well!

Can't wait until the snow melts and the rhubarb starts popping up - I might just have to shovel the snow off the garden beds to speed it up - can you say Spring Fever?

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to finish up with 5 flats of Louisiana Strawberies. 14 quarts in the freezer, and 12 pints of strawberry preserves. Made db 8 jars of grape jelly last week.

Forgot to add 11 pints of quince jelly that hasn't jelled yet! Trying to get the freezer ready for summer veggies!

Just went through the grocery ads and it's looking like my weekend will be spent with yet more asparagus and pork loin. I'd like to can at least 20 more pints of ground beef but there is this thing called time! ;) However, I think I can cram 20 lbs of burger into my freezer, so I'll probably settle for that!

• 1 month later...

I made 4 pints of green tomato salsa for burritos using the recipe from BBB. It is ok, but not as good as the one I made last year from So Easy To Preserve. I also made 14 more pints of regular strawberry jam, and 15 pints of low sugar jam that turned out good! Put some in my oatmeal this morning. :yum3:

• 2 weeks later...

24 pints of strawberry jam, several of which went to go live with wonderful teachers as an end-of-the-year thank you gift. :) We just finished moving into our new home, but as soon as I get settled in, we plan on ordering half a hog, some of which will end up in the canner. Does anyone know if you can can ground pork like you can ground beef?