MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lois

suzyq322

Mom is back in the hospital. About 3 weeks ago the in home nurse said that she sounded like she might have a little bit of pnumonia again, so they stepped up her breathing treatments again. She started feeling a little better then suddenly went down hill.

Between not being able to sleep, and finding it harder and harder to breath, she decided to go back to the hospital.

The first thing they did was to monitor her oxygen saturation, which was holding steady at 96, but she still felt like she couldnt breathe. They did all the normal blood work looking for pnumonia and any other infection and found only a slight UTI and slightly elevated white count. Then they checked for congestive heart failure, considering her feet are very swollen. Not present, heart is fine.

After about 2 hours of no improvement with 6 ltrs oxygen and mega doses of prednisone, they checked her blood gasses and did x-rays. the x-rays show that she has developed the emphazima that they expected to see 3 years ago, and the blood gas test shows that the exchange of blood gasses isnt happening. Her body is retaining the co2.

The Dr said that it was bad enough to put her on a resperator, but as soon as he saw the fear in her eyes they decided to try a bi-pap machine.So far she is responding well, but only while she is on the machine. And they have to sedate her to put the mask on her because she panics and cant leave it on.

i was there at noon yesterday when they were giving her the drug to sedate her , and as of 8 last night she still hadnt woke up. Between being so tired and too much of the sedative, her body is finally getting the rest she needs to heal.

They are moving her out of ICU and upstairs today, to wean her from the bi-pap so that she will only need to sleep with it. Then they can do the orders for her to have one at home.

To all that want to send her a message, I will print them out for her to read, and any personal messages for her can be PMed to me and I will print those too.

Love you all

Suzyq

Thanks for keeping us posted suzyq. There are so many of we old ones that have disappeared and I so often wonder how and where they are.

Tell your mom she's missed and I often think about her. Hope she gets home soon and perks right up!

**Continuing the prayers for continued comfort and peace**

We love you, Lois. I know you can't be here as much, but you are a treasure and a blessing.

((((((((((((((((Lois)))))))))))))))

• 3 weeks later...

Archived