MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
urbanforager

Found It!

Hey all. Remember about two years ago when I asked for help identifying a plant I thought was some sort of pin cherry, only I couldn't post pics because I didn't have a phone that would do that at the time?

I found out what that bush is, and it's not what I thought it was. It's not a cherry of any sort.

It's autumn olive, or autumnberry. And once I identified it, I see it alllll over the place at the park in town. (Huge expanse of green space, horse trails, etc.)

I happened to get the book Nature's Garden by Samuel Thayer. Not only did he help me identify wild black cherry, he also solved the mystery I'd been wondering about for two years. And now I know another wild edible! Yay me! The autumnberry is supposed to be amazing, and good for stuff like jelly and fruit leather. (I'm planning on wine, there's so darn much of it.) The berries are orange and very sour right now, but you can tell the flavor underneath is good. They come ripe at about the same time as highbush cranberries.

Oh, and the black cherry juice? Is going to be made into jelly along with the extremely early elderberries. :) Yum!

Exciting news, indeed! I am hoping to learn more about foraging as I develop future skills. I'll have to tap into your knowledge...would you like to be a mentor? :D

Exciting news, indeed! I am hoping to learn more about foraging as I develop future skills. I'll have to tap into your knowledge...would you like to be a mentor? :D

Of course! I'd love to! :D

I've been wild food foraging for ... okay, for a really long time. I'm always happy to share the knowledge.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.