MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gulf Coast Living

jeanettecentaur

It turns out I am not cut out for this mountain living with all its snow and ice. The summer weather has been great, but I am looking with dread to the coming Winter! The area here is gorgeous and full of natural resources, and I was so sure that God laid it on my heart to move here permanently. My job in the ICU is fantastic, but I am desperately homesick for Texas.

So DBF and I headed down to Rockport, TX for a vacation and to check out the coastal options. It's absolutely gorgeous and I already spoke to the local hospital, which coincidentally, needs ICU nurses.

:cele:

I grew up on the coast, and my biggest issue with that is Hurricanes, of course! However, I have really come to realize that no place is absolutely safe from Old Man Mother Nature or any other disaster. The area I'm in now has been brought to it's knees 2 winters ago due to Ice Storms that blew up trees and had the place declared a national disaster area. People literally could not leave the house because of exploding ice, fallen limbs, and sliding down the mountains. Lightening struck and burned down a co-worker's house. There has been uneventful (for now) Seismic Activity, and a recent Flash Flood drowned roughly 20 people camping by a river this summer. Whoa...

So back to Rockport and Texas...

Fishing 24/7! There are giant lighted piers open all hours. HEB/Central Market!!! No longer a "Dry" County. REAL Mexican food and Tex-Mex! Shrimp and Oysters and Crab! Oh my! Great weather year round...Close to all my Family and Friends...Close to 50% pay increase and Zero State Income Tax.... :cele:

That last part is great because it will cost us a bit more to live in Rockport than here at the Arkansas/Missouri Border. We still come out ahead!

So DBF and I have been re-examining our preps and how to go about it. Right now we have this great dry basement that houses our mini-grocery store. I love that! Warmer/humid climate will change how we store things. We are also considering a Cache in 2 separate locations inland just in case our preps fail at our Coastal Residence.

Hurricane Preps are a cinch, since my family had to do that all my life growing up on the Coast near Houston. However, flooding will be one of my biggest concerns. So to all my Gulf Coast Preppers...any advice will be warmly and gratefully accepted!

:bighug2:

Soooo, any updates? Did you find anything? You're moving for sure?

:shakinghead: These southern people... I can't imagine a winter without snow! :happy0203:

I know we've had threads about storage in damp climates. I'd have to look around to find them.

:bighug2: Congrats on the job!

Heehee! Thanks Cat...not 100% employed yet. They told me in interview to keep them posted on my move there.

As far as a Winter without snow... :P I am ok with that! You can post pics for us. :24:

We found a great little house on a canal that has fishing/crabbing out of my back door. We have already established our evacuation routes to family/friends if necessary and are discussing where to keep our 2 cache sites to pick up supplies coming/going.

The thing is, since I'm an RN and DBF is working on his EMT/Paramedic, we are almost expected to return to Ground Zero after any disaster event. I am Ok with this idea, but it's just a new approach to diversifying our preps, because our area will be vulnerable to floods in extreme situations.

Really, I think it's just time to finally invest in vaccum sealed mylar bags, O2 absorbers, and more dehydrated foods. For a Coastal Climate, I'm thinking it's all about the packaging. #10 cans are likely pretty safe. However, the thought of losing beautiful Canning Jars filled with Annie's Salsa (thanks, Darlene!) is heartbreaking, and I am sure I will have to evacuate with them. :grinning-smiley-044:

Right now, I have about 20 boxes of Cheezy Mac that I don't believe will like the humidity. I couldn't help myself since they were 2 for $1!!! Looking back, a #10 can of Cheezy Mac from Mountain House might have been a better choice...Live and learn!!!

:bighug2:

I say move where you know you will be happy. If that is the Gulf Coast then that is where you should go! There are always ways to work around climate. I am glad you like ICU and can make such good $ at it. I am considering that for my clinicals in the winter and spring term if I am selected for a specialty.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Becca said, it's important that you move somewhere you'll be happy.

I spent too many years in hurricane alley to want to return to that lifestyle myself. It gets old rebuilding ones house year after year after year. Shelf life of preps is decreased in warmer climates unless one can guarantee storage at cooler temperatures.

I'm a gulf coast girl by birth and I miss the consistant warm weather but on balance, I'd rather face less threats. Last year was the coldest winter we've had up here in almost 2 decades so this summer I have been furiously working at trying to shore up the areas that kept me vulnerable to the cold issues. I'm almost there...fall is here, so we'll see how it all works out.

Best of luck with your move!

Archived