MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello & Thanks!

losmom

Hi, I have been a member here since 2008. I have been educated and inspired by those who give to this site and wanted to say thanks and introduce myself.

I am married (23 y) with 2 DD (5 & 22mos).

Since joining this site, I am much more prepared. I am blessed that my husband is fully on board with me and helps me to prepare.

This site has motivated me to learn to can, dehydrate, and make my own bread (although I don't regularly):grinning-smiley-044: and to get out of debt except for mortgage.

Of late I am trying to get into a homeschool routine. I am spending a lot of time reading the different homeschool forums. Stressing due to opposition of family & friends and trying something new in general.

I feel as if I know most of you!

Thanks again,

Losmom

Well, hello! welcomeflowrs.gif

Thanks for popping out and letting us get to know *you*!

Whatever you're interested in finding, just ask. We love to help!

About homeschooling... I will tell you what helped me to decide whether or not to be a stay-at-home Mom for our children. The principles are the same for homeschooling or staying home; both buck the tide of "modern thought".

My own mother told me I should work... that I would be bored, poor, unhappy, and unfulfilled. (This from the woman who faked a "nervous breakdown" so that SHE could stop work. :shakinghead: ) Other women told me that I'd miss the adult interaction and I'd hate staying home. My heart was telling me I *needed* to raise my own children, and my husband supported me.

What sealed it for me was the older neighbor woman, with children long out of the house, who told me with tears in her eyes that she *had* to work, and she would give ANYTHING in the world to go back and stay at home with her children. :(

I have heard women say they wished they would have homeschooled. I don't think I have ever heard somebody say that they wished they *wouldn't* have homeschooled.

Do what your heart tells you is right for your family.

:bighug2:

You know that one year (the year I was looking) 90% of homeschooled students scored in the top half when sat down for standardized testing like the FCAT?

Welcome, LosMom!

This is a great place to learn something about ...EVERYTHING!

As far as homeschooling goes, I'm one of those moms who had to work. I had always felt financially insecure when not working outside of the home. My girls are 20 and 21 now and in retrospect, I wish that I had homeschooled. If only to keep some of the negative influences out of my home. Don't get me wrong! I have great kids that are now in college. When I think about some of the conversations that we had to have over the years to explain away other people's behavior... I truly wish that they had not been exposed to all of that in the public school system.

At this point in my life, I realize that all kids grow up so fast...It really does seem like only yesterday that they were toddlers. However in the public school system, the kids grow up even faster! 13 year old girls dressed as though they were ready to report to a street corner to engage in the oldest known profession... and I don't mean farming! I was fortunate in that my children attended a K-8 school which allowed them to be kid-like for a little longer.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your posts and hope that you and your family let all of the negativity roll right off of your backs. Enjoy your new home!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :hug3:

Well, hello! welcomeflowrs.gif

**snip

About homeschooling... I will tell you what helped me to decide whether or not to be a stay-at-home Mom for our children. The principles are the same for homeschooling or staying home; both buck the tide of "modern thought".

My own mother told me I should work... that I would be bored, poor, unhappy, and unfulfilled. (This from the woman who faked a "nervous breakdown" so that SHE could stop work. :shakinghead: ) Other women told me that I'd miss the adult interaction and I'd hate staying home. My heart was telling me I *needed* to raise my own children, and my husband supported me.

What sealed it for me was the older neighbor woman, with children long out of the house, who told me with tears in her eyes that she *had* to work, and she would give ANYTHING in the world to go back and stay at home with her children. :(

I have heard women say they wished they would have homeschooled. I don't think I have ever heard somebody say that they wished they *wouldn't* have homeschooled.

Do what your heart tells you is right for your family.

:bighug2:

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

My mother always wanted her daughters to have a means to support themselves. She encouraged careers. I did take her advice and I had my career until I heard my clock ticking. I feel we were very blessed to have my first at 37 and 2nd DD at 40. She and my Dad are resigned to us homeschooling now but they are bombarded with uninvited opinions from extended family and both are worriers by nature.

My husband supports me 100%. Some friends continue to speak out against but since I didn't enroll DD in school most have been keeping opinions to themselves. I did have the trouble overcoming the doubt in myself that I would "mess" them up! Still worry some.

I was told the same thing. That I needed to go back to work for the companionship, adult conversation, career advancement etc. Honestly I enjoy my girls. I don't want someone taking care/teaching my children. Maybe it's because I was 37 when I had my first? :shrug: But don't think that is it. I know younger mothers who feel the same way.

:wave: Welcome. Did you bring me any thing to eat?

:wormie2:

John

You are welcome to come over for eggplant parmesan I plan on making in a while. Home grown eggplant and fresh tomato sauce!! :feedme:

Welcome, LosMom!

This is a great place to learn something about ...EVERYTHING!

As far as homeschooling goes, I'm one of those moms who had to work. I had always felt financially insecure when not working outside of the home. My girls are 20 and 21 now and in retrospect, I wish that I had homeschooled. If only to keep some of the negative influences out of my home. Don't get me wrong! I have great kids that are now in college. When I think about some of the conversations that we had to have over the years to explain away other people's behavior... I truly wish that they had not been exposed to all of that in the public school system.

At this point in my life, I realize that all kids grow up so fast...It really does seem like only yesterday that they were toddlers. However in the public school system, the kids grow up even faster! 13 year old girls dressed as though they were ready to report to a street corner to engage in the oldest known profession... and I don't mean farming! I was fortunate in that my children attended a K-8 school which allowed them to be kid-like for a little longer.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your posts and hope that you and your family let all of the negativity roll right off of your backs. Enjoy your new home!

I am very lucky and blessed. While I consider myself a SAHM, I do have a PRN job where I can pick up shifts when I need extra money. I have an understanding with my boss that I only have to work once in 90 days to stay on the payroll. I try to be available during vacations and such. This summer I worked 4 days in July and 3 in August to help cover vacations. My husband stayed with the girls on those days. This gives me a sense of security.

Honestly I give great credit to this site with all the advice that has enabled me in being able to stay with my DD's!

You are right about kids growing up so fast. I know mine are still young but it seems like a blink of an eye since the oldest was born. Time is truly flying!

Regarding the homeschool negativity, I use avoidance. Don't ask and don't tell. Maybe not the best choice but I'm a chicken. :D

Welcome! So glad you are here and posting! I was a SAHM for our 5 and now they are 36 down to 22. Where did all those years go??? I didn't homeschool them, but I can see the merits of it. Our kids had great schools to go too, so we were fortunate, but, if the schools had not been good, I was prepared to homeschool. I loved staying home with them and being involved at school and their sports. Enjoy your precious two little girls, and follow your heart. That's what I tell our 3 DD's who have children. I tell them they are so intune with their little ones, to trust their instinct.

Archived