MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Medical Preparedness

In the past couple of years, my family and I have been trying to make sure that we are medically prepared for a disaster scenario. For us, a disaster scenario could be any number of things. My hubby works in manufacturing , a dying industry. If he were to lose his job we would also lose our health benefits. (Keep in mind that we made this plan prior to the passing of the healthcare bill) Anyway, we made a list of every procedure or chckup that we would need and tried to get them out of the way. In my case, I couldn't remember the last time I'd had a tetanus shot, I'd never had a mammogram, hadn't had a full physical in 3 years , etc... The one thing that glared out at me as a pressing need was family planning. My youngest daughter is 20 and we have no desire to have any more children, so I got that permanently taken care of with a procedure at my doctor's office. I would hate to have to worry about an unplanned pregnancy in the middle of a job layoff, let alone in a real national emergency. Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

I've been thinking of getting some expensive dental work done sooner rather than later because even though it will be an economic strain, its better now then having teeth pulled by pliers under candle light.

*snip

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

Yes! I needed a crown on my front tooth and kept putting it off. Finally this summer got it taken care of.

I made my husband get his physical. Doc was very impressed with him. He runs 45 minutes on our treadmill most days. (He used to run everyday before kids). Dr. told my husband not to bother coming back for routine physicals unless something comes up.

Also he agreed to a vasectomy after our last. Even though we are older, we were blessed not to have any fertility problems.

I, on the other hand, have put on entirely too much weight with my last DD and have had a difficult time getting it off.

So my physical condition is really the prep I need to work on the most right now! :shakinghead:

There's more than one reason to buy muslin yardage and bleach.

Yes, this aspect haunts me. My dental coverage is worthless, but I need to bite the bullet and get more done. Then again, even with great medical coverage my husband won't see a doctor.

Edited by Ambergris

I didn't like the fact that it is so hard to stock "enough" birth control. I mean, who knows how long a disaster is scheduled to last? I do have about a six month supply of birth control pills on hand even though they can lose their effectiveness. One of my daughters needs them to regulate things and keep her from getting anemic. I told my doctor that I was thinking about staying on them for the same reason but I really have no intention of doing that.

We have really lousy dental insurance that only pays $300 per family, per year. So we have been trying to make certain that we eat healthier and take extra special care of our teeth. We still have to dig in our pockets for the routine stuff that helps to keep our teeth healthy.

As far as weight is concerned, I found that getting off of the pill was the best thing for me. I don't seem to crave as much of the fattening foods any more and have lost a little weight without trying. Luckily, I do like to jog and have been trying to incorporate a little strength training into my routine.

Next up will be lasik surgery for hubby. We will still keep all of his old glasses, though. They might be good for bartering one day!

Edited by themartianchick

DH got new glasses in May and decided to get tri-focals. I needed to do something for my vision too but I thot bi or tri -would be SO nauseating with MS. [ I canNOT get on a treadmill for 3 seconds without collapse from damaged nervous system overload! Ugh! ] Strangely, I tried on his...which is about opposite correction from what I need, and it didn't bother me at all. :shrug:

So now we both have new tri-focal glasses. But I'm sure keeping all the used and stored-ahead reading glasses I have around here. Ya never know.

DH also got his dental care up-to-date. Me..... well, I go up and down with how well I do things like flossing. SIGH [Feel like I'm juggling to many things in the air] But generally, I have good teeth. ....Best be getting them checked tho, huh? [Thanks for the reminder....I think. :lol: ]

Being in shape......VERY VERY important. Remember: If we all have to shift to a less opulent [i wish there was spell check] and less tech lifestyle ---- it's going to require about 10 times the manual labor. Are we really ready for that? With constant chores for animal care and my riding for therapy, I stay in 'fairly' good shape. For a middle-aged, disabled woman. Meaning - as good as the limits of a major disease/aging can be pushed. That's the best any of us can do. Weight needs to come down just a bit and that means NO sugar. [dang, 'sweet tooth' runs in my family!] But it's time and I began last week.

Only other thing I need to keep stocked is Nuprin for any number of inflamatory responses, as well as some homeopathic for same. If this new herbal allergy/sinus stuff is working, I'll have DH get more of that too.

Oh...ladies, don't forget the hormonal issues. :rolleyes: Under the stress of hooey-hitting-fan, we don't need to be feeling the stress magnified by shifting hormones.

Then I have one odd medical requirement that most folks don't. I will always have to ride [equines-horse, donkey] in order to stay out of the wheelchair. I don't have to ride as often as when I first began this therapy. But I still must ride AT LEAST once a month. We've just taken note that our horse is now in her 20's. She could be gone by 25. Doesn't seem like she's old. Have donkey as backup but.....still need to get used to riding that beast. :lol: Delays from a rainy summer and trying to get a good fit on a bridle. Have that now. So Monday, after she gets her hooves trimmed... If the weather is not too hot, DH and I will both be here and ....let the circus begin.

=========

Here is another thought. Does anyone else collect "durable medical supplies"? Like canes, crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, therapy exercise bands, braces, bedside commode, urinal, bedpan, etc? Remember canes and crutches and braces come in different sizes. I pick up some types of things anytime I can from garage sales /thrift stores. Things you'd prefer UNused like the commode/urninal/etc, I get if I can find it cheap. Actually, the commode [also a raised toilet seat] was from my DD1's terrible accident. I made sure she didn't throw it out once she had recovered. My good friend collected these types of things from her elderly parents after they died. Then she nearly broke her ankle/foot/knee in a bad fall recently. She had to use ALL of the above in the past three months and her insurance would not have provided all that.

MtRider [...note to self: Check my wheelchair tires. It's been years [tho not that much usage] since I bought new ones ]

DH got new glasses in May and decided to get tri-focals. I needed to do something for my vision too but I thot bi or tri -would be SO nauseating with MS. [ I canNOT get on a treadmill for 3 seconds without collapse from damaged nervous system overload! Ugh! ] Strangely, I tried on his...which is about opposite correction from what I need, and it didn't bother me at all. :shrug:

So now we both have new tri-focal glasses. But I'm sure keeping all the used and stored-ahead reading glasses I have around here. Ya never know.

++++

snip

=========

Here is another thought. Does anyone else collect "durable medical supplies"? Like canes, crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, therapy exercise bands, braces, bedside commode, urinal, bedpan, etc? Remember canes and crutches and braces come in different sizes. I pick up some types of things anytime I can from garage sales /thrift stores. Things you'd prefer UNused like the commode/urninal/etc, I get if I can find it cheap. Actually, the commode [also a raised toilet seat] was from my DD1's terrible accident. I made sure she didn't throw it out once she had recovered. My good friend collected these types of things from her elderly parents after they died. Then she nearly broke her ankle/foot/knee in a bad fall recently. She had to use ALL of the above in the past three months and her insurance would not have provided all that.

MtRider [...note to self: Check my wheelchair tires. It's been years [tho not that much usage] since I bought new ones ]

Yes. A couple of months ago I sprained my ankle and knee when the cat began horking at the opposite corner of my bed and I--trying to lunge over to stick a sheet of paper under her--caught my foot in the bedclothes. I found out that the one pair of crutches we hadn't given away were not adjustable to someone of my height. So now we have our eyes out for a youth set. Cane, check--DH makes them. Commode, check. Male urinal, check. Wrist brace, check. Ankle brace in two sizes, check. Finger brace, check. Manual blood pressure checker--MIA, possibly dry-rotted. Therapy bands, in use a few times a week (but they dry-rot easily). Fold-up wheelchair...I think we gave it away. Other things--still watching for them.

I need three pairs of glasses to get through an average day. One pair is bifocal. I have backup for only the bifocals.

DH and I seem to be at the point where physical deterioration is at the "if it isn't one thing, it's another" stage.

We are just stsrting in this area. Yes, we have a basic first aid kit, we have a 4 month supply of my RX, DH is working on his. We have a bottle of fish antibiotics that can be used for humans, and we have all the leftovers from every pill RX ever given to either of us. I also have stored grapefruit seed extract for cleaning wounds....

I have an old hand brace, a boot, and some ace bandages.

I know, I know, we obviously need to work alot more in this area....

I am currently in nursing school. Mostly to be able to add a second income, but part of my motivation was to learn medical skills so that I would be able to take care of my family as much as possible. I have lots of medical supplies for first aid, and I have copies of Where there is no Dr. and Where there is no Dentist just in case. I have kept a pair of crutches, and if I had more room I'd have the other durable medical equiptment such as a wheelchair on hand for emergencies. One thing I learned from my illness (skin blistering autoimmune disorder) is that if you have wounds, it takes many more bandages than you might think. I keep yards of gauze on hand and lots of surgical pads and tape, as well as all sizes of conventional bandages in large quantities. Better safe than sorry!

Great ideas! Y'all have me taking notes and I started the topic! We have a lot of prescription meds at our house because I was in charge of my MIL's pills before she passed away. We have a pretty good assortment of things to help with various conditions. For antibiotics, I keep a good stock of things that I ordered from an online pharmacy from outside of the country.

I have a sister who is a diabetic, so I am also trying to make sure that I have the regular med that she takes and an herbal that can help to regulate blood sugar (bitter melon). I hadn't really thought about the wheelchairs and other equipment but I know that my mom has a couple of pairs of crutches that she keeps on hand in case of an emergency.

Ambergris-

Are you referring to cinnamon for helping to regulate blood sugar? I had heard of that before but wasn't aware that it is a specific type. I do ted to keep a lot of the regular baking-type cinnamon on hand because I love to bake for the family. I had an interesting thing happen with the bitter melon today... I had noticed that one of the fruits had turned orangey-yellow, yesterday. Today, it had actually burst open (resembling a squash blossom) and was filled with large seeds coated with a red sticky substance. I guess that I learned my first lesson which is to not let them get overly ripe unless I just want to save seeds! There are a few more out there that I will be harvesting tomorrow and dehydrating for storage.

:laughkick:

...when the cat began horking at the opposite corner of my bed and I--trying to lunge over to stick a sheet of paper under her--

Sheeesh, Ambergris! :laughkick: I have done that so many times...get SOMEthing under the cats mouth....or toss the cat skidding onto the bathroom tiles...... :P [Rarely does it actually work tho, I might add. :rolleyes: ] But I've never done damage to myself [or cat] in the process. Sorry to hear that you came to harm but....thanks for the huge laugh about the habits of cats....I needed it. [highly irritated at the computer misbehaving...again]

Out of the O and Becca Anne -- Y'all make another VERY important point. Anyone who has done any fairly serious wound care know that it takes SOOOOOO many bandages. Make sure to save old towels, 'linens', and T-shirts. These are not sterile unless you boil them and package them away sterile. Does anyone know how to dry them and KEEP them sterile, by the way?????? However, these cloth ones can make up the second layer over a sterile Telfa pad or whatever.

I'm not sure of pricing but vet/animal supply magazines have large quantities of bandage supplies too. Might be more economical? :shrug: And a product called 'vet wrap' is great for odd-shape wounds like elbows or tapering leg areas. It's a self-sticking wrap that can cover the bandage material completely and you can unwind it and wrap it tight again. [it remains sticky for a LIMITED number of unwindings.] Its very flexible and stretchy. [Don't get the hot PINK color if your family is trying to stay unnoticed in a crisis. :P ]

MtRider [just more thots from a medical-oriented family]

:laughkick:

Out of the O and Becca Anne -- Y'all make another VERY important point. Anyone who has done any fairly serious wound care know that it takes SOOOOOO many bandages. Make sure to save old towels, 'linens', and T-shirts. These are not sterile unless you boil them and package them away sterile. Does anyone know how to dry them and KEEP them sterile, by the way?????? However, these cloth ones can make up the second layer over a sterile Telfa pad or whatever.

MtRider [just more thots from a medical-oriented family]

would it be easier if you allowed the bandages to dry first and then can them?

When I was nursing some equipment was packaged together wrapped and sealed with special tape and then autoclaved.

So was wondering if canning something in a pressure canner would get to a simmilar heat to a autoclave.

I've autoclaved quite a bit of stuff. It was required in my RN training. (Don't think they do that anymore.) You can use a pressure canner for hard things like instruments, but I'd bake cloth and such. (Don't bake anything with plastic in it!) Wrap your stuff in pieces of sheet or muslin and use masking tape to close the packages. Write the date on it. Put it in the oven at about 300F for an hour or so. Don't make the packages too thick so the heat can penetrate the entire thing. When you open the package, use the wrapping to cover the table you are working on and set your sterile stuff on it.

In a pinch, a hot iron will sterilize cloth.

Cloth used for bandages can be washed and sterilized and reused. Put some bleach in the wash water. If you are sensitive to bleach use white vinegar.

I was reading somewhere that in an emergency, very few things might be sterile. The best you can hope for is "very clean." Very clean used to be the standard; only a few bits were actually sterilized and kept sterile. I can't be the only one who's heard stories of when volunteers sat down in hospital laundries, or in communal workrooms near the laundry, winding bandages.

I don't know if Kotex are sterile, but I wouldn't hesitate to call them "very clean." Muslin yardage washed in bleach and dried in strong sunlight would be very clean, though to keep it that way I'd package it so no random crawly could get in there. Can you imagine a cockroach crumb in your carefully wound bandages? Can you imagine finding it there when someone is screaming and blood is everywhere?

Edited by Ambergris

I remember ole Doc Holliday lecturing us girls in OB class about doing emergency home deliveries. Part of his training had been riding the ambulance back in the days when they sent a resident out on ambulance runs. He said frequently they would get to a patient right in the middle of delivering and the surroundings would be "quite dirty" to put it mildly. He said to take a fresh newspaper and open it for a sterile field. He said the inside of a newspaper that had not been opened or read was essentially sterile. Newspaper is pretty absorbent and works well to slide under the hips of a woman in labor so the baby is not born on a filthy surface. (Of course, who has newspapers any more?)