MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mommafitz

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 17

It's sad and scary to read about the grocery incidents and people "losing it". I read the posts aloud to DH.

Yesterday, before reading this thread, DH and I were discussing the way things have changed regarding safety. He's a LEO. He's been predicting for over a year now that these tough times are going to make people

do drastic things. We live in a small town that has a big problem with Meth. When meth users are "tweaked out" they are very unpredictable. More and more people are unemployed and depressed. They decide to use the drug because it makes their worries go away and they feel better or decide to make and sell it for a living. If they are users they steal to support their habit. Thefts in this county continue to rise. :sad-smiley-012:

DH also stresses the need to be constantly aware of your surroundings. It must come second nature to me now. A car followed me home from work Friday evening and had me concerned. I have to make numerous turns to get home. We live at the last driveway on a dead end road in a subdivision. It was still daylight and It is very obvious that the road ends when setting at the stop sign. The car turned around in a neighbors driveway but it felt "weird" to me. I was glad DH was home waiting for me. :happy0203:

There's a big probability that DH will be changing jobs within the next couple of months. The hours he works will be different (depending on the shift, of course). I might be home alone a lot. My dern bulldog is a big baby and not much of a watch dog even tho he is in the house! :laughkick:

Anyhoo, I am concerned. The daylight is getting shorter and it will be dark-thirty before I get to leave work. Should I attempt to make any stops for errands at night before coming home? These things, among others, are floating around in my head........

A few years ago one of our dealership's customers was accosted and kidnapped while putting her groceries in the trunk of her car at Kroger. She was rescued unharmed and the bad guy was caught. Thank Goodness.

This happend in 2001 but it's when I started thinking what I would do at work and when I'm in town.

I work in a industrial park. Some of the factories are more than 1 building ( mine has 3 and is the largest) and some are very small. A worker walked in one of the smaller factories and started shooting his coworkers. 30 to 35 people worked there. He killed 1 and wounded 6 befor killing himself.Most of his coworker fled to other factories.

This was only 2 buildings away form my building.

I had just gotten off work and was starting home when I heard serins. A lot of them.

I live 4 miles from work and near a small airport. The kids school a mile from where I work.I heard more serins and helicopters started flying overhead. This was soon after 9-11 so I was freaked out.

Turned on the news and found out the industrial park I just left and my kids school is in lockdown.

Yes, I look for the out , place to hide and think how I will get my now teen kids to safety.

Mommafitz, you might want to strongly consider carrying. A .38 or .357 would make somebody think twice about bothering you. Also, a powerful flashlight in your hand as you go out to the vehicle or leave it to go inside can help. Shine it all around the vehicle and into the bushes, if any. Be sure to keep a cell phone handy. I wouldn't make a single stop after work if it is dark. Fill the gas tank on your way to work if you need to, but don't stop for gas after dark, and don't stop anyplace you either have to leave the vehicle or open the window for anything.

Mommafitz, you might be surprised at how quickly that baby grows a pair should someone approach you at home.

Someone on another forum I'm on had her groceries stolen while she was in the restroom with her daughter who was throwing up. The surveillance video shows a man WITH HIS KIDS taking the basket.

I received a phone call from someone who is not an alarmist, who is deeply immersed in the financial industry who said, "some bad economic news is about to strike...I should let you know what it is..."

They went on to explain that banks haven't been foreclosing on propertys because there are so many that if they did, the market would go down and we would definitely be in a depression. People are living in homes they haven't made payments on in 2.5 years...so banks are getting ready to start foreclosing. Basil 3 (which originated in Switzerland), is trying to issue a global rule for banks. There is 1/2 trillion homes about to be flooded into the market which is going to lower our property values to half. We're going to be in a serious depression. We've run outta money...the dollar has broken down. They're talking about going back on gold standard...all money is going to be worth less, and prices will go down which would create deflation. Consequently, we're in a super bind.

We all know things are getting worse and will become even moreso, but it always catches my attention when those who aren't as immersed in the prepping lifestyle as we are, become alarmed as they see these things coming quickly down the pike.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, that's what crossed my path last week. I did some research on this 'Basil III', and there is some information out there (Basil I and II were instituted in the past...III is what they're trying to introduce now).

I received a phone call from someone who is not an alarmist, who is deeply immersed in the financial industry who said, "some bad economic news is about to strike...I should let you know what it is..."

They went on to explain that banks haven't been foreclosing on propertys because there are so many that if they did, the market would go down and we would definitely be in a depression. People are living in homes they haven't made payments on in 2.5 years...so banks are getting ready to start foreclosing. Basil 3 (which originated in Switzerland), is trying to issue a global rule for banks. There is 1/2 trillion homes about to be flooded into the market which is going to lower our property values to half. We're going to be in a serious depression. We've run outta money...the dollar has broken down. They're talking about going back on gold standard...all money is going to be worth less, and prices will go down which would create deflation. Consequently, we're in a super bind.

We all know things are getting worse and will become even moreso, but it always catches my attention when those who aren't as immersed in the prepping lifestyle as we are, become alarmed as they see these things coming quickly down the pike.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, that's what crossed my path last week. I did some research on this 'Basil III', and there is some information out there (Basil I and II were instituted in the past...III is what they're trying to introduce now).

This must mean worldwide, since there are fewer than 200 million houses in the US.

This must mean worldwide, since there are fewer than 200 million houses in the US.

I didn't even think of that but you're right.

I'm going to ask them about that specifically.

Please do and let us know if you would.

Ogre

We're going to be in a serious depression. We've run outta money...the dollar has broken down. They're talking about going back on gold standard...all money is going to be worth less, and prices will go down which would create deflation. Consequently, we're in a super bind.[/i]

Okay, here is a (probably stupid) question....

If we are working on building up our preps, would it make more financial sense to wait until after prices have depreciated in order to really, really start stocking up? Or will availability go down with price? In other words, if I really want to make some significant purchases, should I do it now, or gamble on being able to get more for less down the road?

We've known about the shadow inventory in foreclosure homes here in the southwest for a while, now...didn't know that it was a nationwide or worldwide issue...

When they talk about deflation, they are basically talking about things like houses, over valued land, stocks, bonds, etc not being worth as much. These are things that have been over priced and need correcting. Expect to see INFLATION to continue on things you need to purchase like food, clothing, other necessities. Expect to see the value of you home decrease and if you have money tied up in the stock market that will decrease. Expect to see taxes INCREASE.

I am out of debt so I'm using my income to purchase items I know we will need to have. I'm investing in building materials and fencing at the moment. I've put back food, clothing and spare footwear already. Any purchases such as a new canner that I know will be needed, or canning supplies, are not delayed past the time I have cash in hand to buy them.

If you listen to the gov, there is no inflation, but deflation. If you watch prices of the goods you need to purchase, you will see they are lying to us.

Oh yes, I've known over the past two or three years that they are lying to us...every time I go to the grocery store, I see it. I just don't know how anyone can believe what .gov is saying right now regarding inflation and "coming out of the recession." As far as I'm concerned, with REAL unemployment the way it is, we're already in a depression. It's just slowly getting worse.

Thanks, CGA, for clearing up the deflation/inflation issue. Time to start revving up again.

Here's a link I found on Basel III for anyone who is interested...it's a little over my head at this point, I didn't have time to really go through it thoroughly...but I'm trying to figure out how Basel III has the foreclosure market tied into it -- I guess that pursuing the foreclosures would be an easy way for the banks to raise their required percentage of capital??

Here's the link:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/225730-wha...iii-mean-to-you

And another from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_II

The second is about Basel II, but will give you a more stabilized insight into what Basel III is trying to do.

CONFUSING!!!! LOL

I got a Capital One solicitation yesterday, offering me a credit card. The only criteria listed is that "Your annual income must be greater than your annual rent/mortgage payment in order to be eligible for this offer."

Think about that for a minute.

Could be the half-trillion means a half-trillion dollars' worth of homes?

Could be the half-trillion means a half-trillion dollars' worth of homes?

That's probably what he said/meant, but I'll still check to find out for sure.

"Your annual income must be greater than your annual rent/mortgage payment in order to be eligible for this offer."
by Ambergris

:blink: ......uh, ya THINK?

MtRider :faint3:

So, do we believe this? Very convenient timing. I don't know about them but around here, the recession is still in full swing and in some areas, seems to be getting worse. Two weeks ago, I had my worst day yet at the farmer's market. Barely paid for my space and my gas. I thought, okay, sometimes we have a bad day. This past week, there was a festival on the same square and LOTS of people milling around. Unfortunately, most of them were just milling around and accepting the free items but buying very little except for some lemonade (it was HOT) and maybe a polish sandwich or funnel cake. So, I just revised my worst day yet at the farmer's market. It was much worse (if that is possible) than the week before. Some people had decent days but no one had a really good day among the farmer's market people.

Definetly red flags

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/09/24/g...1300-ounce.html

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/09/24/c...s-fed-cnbc.html

the first

Gold futures hit another record high Friday — breaking above $1,300 US an ounce as investors piled into the precious metal as a perceived safe haven.Gold prices have gained 18 per cent so far this year as investors flee paper currencies.

The December futures contract for bullion surged as high as $1,301.30 US an ounce in morning trading in New York. It had slipped back to 1,298.50 US by 11 a.m. ET.

Gold got a boost after France reported better-than-expected GDP figures, strengthening the euro and tamping down the U.S. dollar. Gold is priced in U.S. dollars, so a weaker American currency makes it cheaper for those outside the U.S. to buy gold.

It was the fourth day of record gold prices this week. Bullion prices, which have risen 18 per cent this year, have recorded gains for 10 straight years. That's the longest winning streak since 1920, Bloomberg reported.

Investors and speculators have been flocking to gold as an alternative to paper currencies amid growing worries about the health of the global economy.

"Gold has started to trade as another currency," Scotia Capital currency strategist Camilla Sutton told CBC News. "We've seen that noticeably in the last few weeks, but it's been an underlying theme all year."

Silver hit a new 30-year high on Friday. It was trading at $21.40 US an ounce — its highest level since the Hunt brothers of Texas tried to corner the silver market in 1980. At that time, silver prices hit $50 US an ounce.

Silver prices are up 27 per cent year-to-date, outperforming gold.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/09/24/g...l#ixzz10T7T4Jtk

the second

Carney alert for signs of U.S. downturn

Last Updated: Friday, September 24, 2010 | 12:54 PM ET Comments53Recommend30.

CBC News

Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney said Friday any decision by the U.S. Federal Reserve to increase the American money supply would not result in the two countries' monetary policies heading in opposite directions.

Interviewed on New York-based CNBC, Carney said the same changes in the economic outlook that would lead to moves by the American central bank would also prompt the Bank of Canada to change from its recent course of raising interest rates.

Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney, shown in July, says the bank is ready to ease monetary policy if the economic outlook deteriorates. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Carney said if the economy weakens, "then we'll deal with the direct consequences."

"Obviously, we'll adjust monetary policy to Canadian circumstances. There are limits to the divergence that there can be between Canada and the U.S."

The Federal Reserve said Tuesday it would continue to monitor the economic outlook and "is prepared to provide additional accommodation if needed to support the economic recovery."

That was widely seen as a sign the Fed is prepared to expand the use of its $2.3-trillion balance sheet to more aggressively buy U.S. treasury bonds in a move to push interest rates lower to encourage bank lending to business and consumer spending.

Carney said recent signs of American economic weakness are of "some concern" to Canada, given that 85 per cent of this country's exports go to the U.S., and the extent to which both the housing and auto industries in both countries are tied to each other.

Corrections and Clarifications

•An earlier version of this story had the headline "Bank of Canada ready to match U.S. Fed." To clarify, Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney did not say the central bank would match U.S. monetary policy but said there were limits to how far the two countries' policies would diverge.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/09/24/c...l#ixzz10T78Wu8P

I do most of my shopping a the local commissary. In an area where they do not double coupons, I usually get the best prices for most things there. I always buy my dog food there. Usually a can of Alpo runs 50 cents. 2 months ago, I found about 60 cans in the clearance aisle where they take 20% off, so I walked out with all the cans for 38 cents. Lovin' it. So now, 2 months later, I am starting to get low on dog food. Yesterday we went to the commissary again and I was vaguely noticing that things seemed to be a bit higher than I expected. I hit the dog food aisle, and the cans that I normally got for 50 cents are now 76 cents each! (Only 2 months later!)

I know that the other prices have gone up, but not exactly how much. I also know that the commissary is usually a great deal for us. We buy center cut bacon for $2.50 and the same package goes in the local Fred Meyers store for over $4, so I know I am getting a great deal even without a coupon.

How are people supposed to afford healthy food?

Thankfully here we have the Boutiful Baskets program. If you live in an area with it, you should definitely check it out to help stretch your food budget. http://www3.bountifulbaskets.org/

Okay, so I saw a sign today, while running errands, that I never thought I'd see, outside of a History book.It was hung on the fence around a construction jobsite:

NO!

We Are Not

Hiring!

Move on

and then the same message repeated (I think) in Spanish.

This is, mind, in what I refer to as the Well-Padded-Bottom of the Federal Gov't, where yeah, things have gotten tough, but everyone knows it's worse pretty much everywhere else.

I was driving at the time, or I would have snapped a pic of it to share. It just reminded me of the pictures of billboards from the Great Depression, advertising that there was no work in the town, and drifters had to keep drifting. . .

Mom said her work had a job fair yesterday, and she ran into one of the people who came on the elevator. He was dressed nicely, carefully clutching a neatly printed resume, and looked like he was about to break into tears. Being the concerned Mom and Nurse that she is, she asked what was wrong. Apparently, he'd come early, waited in line for hours, but the line never moved, he never got in to where the job fair was, and so never even got to submit his resume. Mom said his English, although heavily accented, was good, and he'd clearly come trying to make a good impression. So she told him how to come back to human resources the next day (today), and use one of the computers they have set up to look for and apply for jobs. This is the trick that will get his resume in ahead of the others. Apparently, they had expected no more than 100 to show up, and they got way more.

It's becoming apparent even to the "normals" ( :P ) that the newspapers and the lot are lying. Many people are noticing the disparity between what is reported, and what they see. They say the recession hasn't hit this area (thanks to the Fed. Gov'ts well-padded-bottom), but there are plenty of signs that point otherwise. They can only hide things for so long, and the longer it is, the harder the rest of those cards will fall. Yes, it hasn't hit as bad, but it has hit. And if things are to get better for the rest of the country, I think it's gonna have to get a lot worse here, first.

So, not the red flags some have to deal with, but there are small signs even here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.