MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mommafitz

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 17

.....a silver lining for all of us with little in a bank account to worry about..... :rolleyes:

MtRider [...but I just wish my mattress was getting lumpier! ;) ]

Not worrying about this bank failing, but if all banks are closed for however long, would they call a loan for late payment (when it could not be made anyway with banks closed) and take the very small CD securing that loan.

Not too worried, just did not like being treated like I asked a "stupid" question, so much so that he couldn't even figure out what I was talking about. Maybe I took it the wrong way??

Not too worried, just did not like being treated like I asked a "stupid" question, so much so that he couldn't even figure out what I was talking about. Maybe I took it the wrong way??

:24: Are you kidding? You probably scared the bejeebers out of him, just asking. :24:

They think everyone else is clueless, and you hit him in a soft spot. :blink:

My local Wegmans store priced their baking items down for the holiday season in the past week. They usually don't do it until right before Thanksgiving. So far, the sugar isn't among the discounted items. They had the brown sugar, confectioners sugar, chocolate chips, unbleached flour and white flour but not the regular sugar. I'm hoping that this is just an oversight on their part. I count on this sale to stock up on flour, sugar and chocolate chips each year.

This is what I do also. I have noticed new displays but the prices are not changed yet at my local stores.

Dh used to be a stock broker he said you could get in trouble for causing a panic. Could you imagine if it started going around that there were problems? It would be mass histeria.

Virginia, the law is that the banks can take your debt and sell it. You will be obligated to pay it even if the bank that failed took all your assets when it failed. They are not obligated to return them. This happened in the GD of the 20th century and also happened to someone I knew personally in the 70s. Her S&L went under but were demanding she pay the mortgage or they would foreclose. They would not honor the check she wrote on her account at the same S&L. This was before S&Ls were covered by depositors insurance. If there is no insurance to pay you for what you lost, you will still be obligated to pay the loan without using the CD.

One of the bank trustees that we know well (small town) a while back told that he came out of the board meeting shaking! If they were all affected that much.... This is a bank that I am sure is stable, but I am thinking he was so shocked about the economy, etc.

Yup... it's a house of cards in a growing windstorm. And China holds our debt, mostly.

Add this to the current rumors about US Marshalls being ordered into "training" and surrendering their weapons just before the November elections, and it gets downright freaky.

:huh::o:(

LOL...Virginia, I agree with Cat. Picture a calm, mature woman walking in and..... SHE ASKS THE QUESTION! :o:behindsofa::wacko:

OK, I've got a Red Flag ......on how much our INFORMATION is out there to be used by one and all.

We received a correspondence from a local car dealership. We have NEVER had any dealings with this dealership.

"Dear {DH's First & Last name}, it's our big truck sale season at our dealership and the demand for quality pre-owned {lists the EXACT year and model of one of our vehicles} has been overwhelming! This demand has depleted our inventory and we must restock it immediately. Our records { :o WHY DO THEY HAVE RECORDS ABOUT US?} indicate you are oneo the few individuals that still own a good condition { EXACT year and model of our truck} in the {names our nearest town} and we're prepared to make you a very generous offer." Blah, blah, blah...

OBVIOUSLY, they merely want to lure us into trading in on a new vehicle and it doesn't matter how old/what condition our truck is in. That' not the point. WHY can they access data easily enough to make this mailing to how-many-zillions of people worthwhile? They even say they've established a WEBSITE in my husband's name! :motz_6: {do I go to that site to see if they truly do... or.....not?}

DH & I watched a video last week on this very topic....how much data can be EASILY retrieved for advertising purposes. Yet if it's available for that, it can be used for other purposes too. :motz_6: The folks of my parent's generation are NOT going to respond to this Peeping Tom type of advertising well either! :shakinghead: One did not "disrobe in public" , as it were, in that generation. They kept to their own business. DO THE RECENT GENERATIONS SEE THIS DIFFERENTLY? LIKE: OH WOW, AM I SPECIAL OR WHAT?...THEY GAVE ME A WEBSITE! :0327:

Does everyone know that they are now manufacturing special metal holders for your credit cards and such. This is to keep bad guys with easily accessible readers from obtaining your data as you walk by. RFD..whatever technology.

MtRider :behindsofa:

Right off the batt, I think we need to assume that "THEY" are all out to "GET" us, and conduct our lives accordingly.

Careful precautions will never go out of style. Awareness, common sense, and pleasant but non-informing talk will someday save your bacon.

I am not fearful, but the time is coming. Educate yourself. To know the enemy is a great start to overcoming his effects.

Think all actions out. Don't be blindsided by the actual predicted events when they unfold. For over 5 years, all we are seeing/hearing

has been whispered about. Now the talk has become more mainstream.

No one here should be surprised. We have debated this, looked for solutions, found some, and resigned ourselves to the way those

with power and money far greater than ours are going to play this out.

If you have ever planned to bite the bullet and go into serious prep/lockdown mode; haul out the written plan and look at it seriously.

Any itchy/hinky feeling you have ever had about the state of our civil unions........................is probably correct.

I got a Capital One solicitation yesterday, offering me a credit card. The only criteria listed is that "Your annual income must be greater than your annual rent/mortgage payment in order to be eligible for this offer."

Think about that for a minute.

My son has gotten 3 solicitations from Capital One in the last month. Great offer right, 19.4% interest on anything the card is used for.

I was listening to Turning Point today. He quoted Karl Marx as saying inflation is the way that governments can take all the assets of the people without the people being aware they were being stolen (my paraphrase). I've been thinking a long time that all the pensions will continue to be paid out. They just won't be worth enough to live on, not even close to what they are worth now. Looks like the gov is going to try to seize all private pensions as well.

Right off the batt, I think we need to assume that "THEY" are all out to "GET" us, and conduct our lives accordingly.

Careful precautions will never go out of style. Awareness, common sense, and pleasant but non-informing talk will someday save your bacon.

I am not fearful, but the time is coming. Educate yourself. To know the enemy is a great start to overcoming his effects.

Think all actions out. Don't be blindsided by the actual predicted events when they unfold. For over 5 years, all we are seeing/hearing

has been whispered about. Now the talk has become more mainstream.

No one here should be surprised. We have debated this, looked for solutions, found some, and resigned ourselves to the way those

with power and money far greater than ours are going to play this out.

If you have ever planned to bite the bullet and go into serious prep/lockdown mode; haul out the written plan and look at it seriously.

Any itchy/hinky feeling you have ever had about the state of our civil unions........................is probably correct.

My thoughts exactly.

DH and I treated ourselves to supper at Cracker Barrel restaurant tonight. (DS2's girlfriend works there.) I'm used to seeing YOUNG people wait tables. I was taken

aback by the overabundance of middle aged waiters and waitresses (my age)! There was a silver haired gentleman bussing the tables. This was a red flag to me.

:shakinghead:

This is sad because I'm guessing that is the only work available to them. I spoke with a friend today who is looking for an office job. She's currently working retail and her bosses frown upon breaks and sitting down. She's not old but she's no spring chicken-her words not mine-and standing on her feet all day really gets to her. But she's gotta work.......

:shakinghead:

There's no shame in an honest days work.

mommafitz

Had to go to one of the local 'big cities' for training today. While there, I wanted to check out the outlet stores for an upcoming trip with DD. Most were closed. This is a MAJOR outlet area, with a lot of extra construction (turn lanes,etc) dedicated to it. Another strip type mall had MANY empty store fronts. It makes me sad for the taxpayers that are paying for it.

On the other hand, thanks to (I think) AmishHomesteader's post, I stopped at Lowe's and cleaned out most of their canning supplies. I spent $170, but I have enough flats and rings for the rest of my life!! I also found PickleCrisp, which I had been looking for since last year and not been able to find. I paid 81c a dozen for standard flats, and 98c (standard) and 1.47 (wide mouth) for ring/flats dozen. That's cheaper than what I usually pay just for flats!!

FP, I'm just guessing here, but check out Midnight Mom's "sig" line, from Jefferson. I remind my students of that as often as I can (like every day).

She posted something in the Edge that I am thinking maybe she decided to put her words there, but she will surely let us know.

Listening to the radio this morning... farm news came on... the corn crop in Russia is worse than previously thought. So watch for our farmers to be selling more, most likely driving up prices *here*.

I think I had a long and thoughtful reply :blah: all typed out, but when I hit the Add Reply button I got an error and just didn't feel like retyping it!!! But, I wasn't allowed to delete the post :tapfoot: , so......................................

I think I had a long and thoughtful reply :blah: all typed out, but when I hit the Add Reply button I got an error and just didn't feel like retyping it!!! But, I wasn't allowed to delete the post :tapfoot: , so......................................

:sad-smiley-012: I'm sorry.

Did you try just refreshing when that happens? I still get error pages, but when I refresh it often works. Sometimes posts it twice, but... :whistling:

Please pray for those of us that raise cattle. With the price of feed shooting throught the roof, the market may be flooded with cattle people can't afford to feed. You know what that does for the price. The sale of calves is about the only way we make money from the ranch. They sell today. I'm so thankful that both DH and I have other better-paying jobs, but I shudder to think what this will do for family farms on the edge of financial make-it-or-break-it.

Please pray for those of us that raise cattle. With the price of feed shooting throught the roof, the market may be flooded with cattle people can't afford to feed. You know what that does for the price. The sale of calves is about the only way we make money from the ranch. They sell today. I'm so thankful that both DH and I have other better-paying jobs, but I shudder to think what this will do for family farms on the edge of financial make-it-or-break-it.

The old saying of 'Be careful of what you wish for...' comes into play here. I was just thinking that I don't have enough ground beef and steak in the freezer. I was planning to look for a sale this week to try to stock up. I hadn't thought about the economic impact to the farmers.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.