MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mommafitz

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 17

mommafitz, NO WAY would I use my own personal cell phone. That's just not smart.

I hope you can avoid it.

:bighug2:

This Red Flag is disturbing! Now that it's an "employer's market" some will be willing to turn into SCROOGE. I'm sorry for you who are in these situations! :(

Something occurs to me tho.....

I think we need to remember also, that while some of the treatment of employees might be unfair or even illegal, those in management are having Hard Times too. So many businesses going under. The falible human beings at that level might have personal situations pressing. None of this is an EXCUSE. But I'm stating that the PRESSURE does not stop at a certain level of any company.

We gotta face the fact that nearly everyone in our nation [most of the globe] is facing trials/challenges that are getting hotter than we've likely seen before as a whole. [some have faced personal challenges that overtop any mere financial trouble... :grouphug: ]

In some folks, they will come through the Refiner's fire in stronger; a more decent, caring human being.

Some will buckle under the initial strain but be able to rise up again and go on.

Others are gonna crack.

Many will pull tightly into themselves in self-defense and pretty much act with no regard for anyone else.

Some of them will even exclude their own immediate families.

Some will enjoy the chaos and put their own greedy nature on full-speed-ahead.

Any of you who have employers....they will be in one of those categories.

Any of you who have employees....they will be in one of those categories.

Any of you who have neighbors, child's teachers, repair person, relatives, friends, share the road with other drivers......THEY WILL BE IN ONE OF THOSE CATEGORIES OF REACTION TO THE CURRENT INCREASE OF STRESS.

We are all in one of those categories...and we might slide between two or more of them.

MtRider [..no solutions - just something to keep in mind as the world spins. :twister3: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Crime is stepping up in our area. DH is a county deputy and he tells me stories.

Just this week a mom and her 2 small children(6 years and 3 months) were eating supper one evening while dad was working his night shift job. Some scumbag kicked her door in and proceded to rummage thru her house. She hustled the children into a bedroom and called 911. This scumbag thought the house was empty and ran out when he heard her consoling the kids and talking on the phone. She had a very detailed description. Cops think he was a meth head.

Robberies are on the rise. This home invasion is scary.

DH is working nights now. It is dark before I even leave work. We live in a subdivision now in the middle of town. I'm pretty sure I'm safe but you should never get complacent. Yes, our house is well armed, if ya get my meaning! :happy0203:

Ya'll be safe out there!

mommafitz

I have really missed this thread, so I decided to bump it. Let's see.... recently I ...

1) Found out no one in our company (nation-wide) will be getting a raise because AZ's state version of Medicaid is broke (OK, that's oversimplified, but the truth). I wasn't expecting a raise, but it is annoying to find out THAT is the reason.

2) Had to wait almost a month to have Mylar bags shipped, due to demand from the manufacturer.

3) DH is getting hinky feelings and pushing me to buy food, especially anything I will need for canning this coming summer. He would like for me to have 2 years of stock to fall back on.

4) I have been feeling hinky - - probably due to a couple of incidents where we have had trespassers on our property come to the back door before I was aware they are there. I am seriously considering keeping a pistol on me when in the garden this spring/summer.

Dh has been laid off. His company laid off some people in the last couple weeks so we knew it may be coming but he got the news today. Looks like this should be temporary until the next contract job starts in a couple of weeks but who knows really. A friend of ours works with the same company and was laid off a couple of weeks ago in one of the first rounds. We luckily have set up quite a few back up plans for just in case and also have a few resources available to us right now so we should be fine. Possibly not even be out but a couple weeks and see no real effect from this but I'm preparing for the worst case scenario. I hope every one else can keep working in this economy. It's getting worse.

Ha! I should be glad I guess since gas prices are going so high and he commuted 7 days a week right? :grinning-smiley-044:

((((((Michelle)))))

We got DH's annuity statement. Taxes and insurance went up a chunk. The monthly budget has been adjusted, cutting back on a few necessities, less groceries. Thank God for the stores we have managed to build up a little more last year.

I have really missed this thread, so I decided to bump it. Let's see.... recently I ...

1) Found out no one in our company (nation-wide) will be getting a raise because AZ's state version of Medicaid is broke (OK, that's oversimplified, but the truth). I wasn't expecting a raise, but it is annoying to find out THAT is the reason.

2) Had to wait almost a month to have Mylar bags shipped, due to demand from the manufacturer.

3) DH is getting hinky feelings and pushing me to buy food, especially anything I will need for canning this coming summer. He would like for me to have 2 years of stock to fall back on.

4) I have been feeling hinky - - probably due to a couple of incidents where we have had trespassers on our property come to the back door before I was aware they are there. I am seriously considering keeping a pistol on me when in the garden this spring/summer.

Moldy:

We have this system on our property. We have 2 sensors (need to get 2 more) placed in trees along my long driveweay. Front gate is called zone 1 and further up road/drive is zone 2. We chose the hand held base unit that we can clip to belt while outside to hear the alerts.

The hand held base units can also be used as walkie talkies if you have 2. As a car comes thru the gate we hear " Alert Zone 1"...As it proceeds further we hear "Alert Zone 2".. We love this system. We plan to put a few more sensors along the perimeter of our property.

We chose THIS particular system because it picks up anything within 80 feet of it and will send the signal up to 3 miles to the base unit. I have since ordered a solar battery charger and batteries to keep this and other stuff going should we lose power long term.

Dakota security system

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-530-dakota-alert-ht-kit-murs-long-range-handheld-alert-driveway-alarm.aspx

solar battery charger

http://store.sundancesolar.com/10wasochwiva.html

Michelle, I'm so sorry. I know how frightening that kind of news can be, even if it is temporary...makes you realize how vulnerable we are, right?

I'll be praying for your husband to get his work back quickly.

:bighug2:

Moldy:

We have this system on our property. We have 2 sensors (need to get 2 more) placed in trees along my long driveweay. Front gate is called zone 1 and further up road/drive is zone 2. We chose the hand held base unit that we can clip to belt while outside to hear the alerts.

The hand held base units can also be used as walkie talkies if you have 2. As a car comes thru the gate we hear " Alert Zone 1"...As it proceeds further we hear "Alert Zone 2".. We love this system. We plan to put a few more sensors along the perimeter of our property.

We chose THIS particular system because it picks up anything within 80 feet of it and will send the signal up to 3 miles to the base unit. I have since ordered a solar battery charger and batteries to keep this and other stuff going should we lose power long term.

Dakota security system

http://www.homesecur...eway-alarm.aspx

solar battery charger

http://store.sundanc...wasochwiva.html

Thanks for posting that. Once I've relocated, I hope I can get a system like that. It would not help here because of the shared drive. People can sneak up on me all the time here. Makes me jumpy.

Grrr - just typed out a long post and the computer ate it! Thanks, CoM for the link - I'll show it to Dh tonight.

We went to a trade show yesterday - LOTS of RFID type stuff, kinda weirded me out, even though I understand why some ranchers need it to track their cattle. Not many people there, if you don't count the vendors and college kids.

An army sniper friend of ours (he's not full time active, but I think he's reserves right now) had to go visit a base the other day. He started posting things about how China has EMP and stealth tech and what would you do if they invaded, and then in another post offered to start giving his friends marksmanship classes for free and getting his friends ready. Talking about checking your priorities and readiness. "What do you have to bring to the table" type things. He won't give any specifics about why he's suddenly posting strange things like this, but I thought it was pretty odd.

Looks like the Icelandic volcano is gearing up for another blowout...

Icelandic volcano 'set to erupt'

Scientists in Iceland are warning that another volcano looks set to erupt and threatening to spew-out a pall of dust that would dwarf last year's event.

6:38PM GMT 08 Feb 2011

Geologists detected the high risk of a new eruption after evaluating an increased swarm of earthquakes around the island's second largest volcano.

Pall Einarsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland, says the area around Bárdarbunga is showing signs of increased activity, which provides "good reason to worry".

He told the country's national TV station that a low number of seismometer measuring devices in the area is making it more difficult to determine the scale and likely outcome of the current shifts.

But he said there was "every reason to worry" as the sustained earthquake tremors to the north east of the remote volcano range are the strongest recorded in recent times and there was "no doubt" the lava was rising.

The geologist complained that the lack of coverage from measuring devices means he cannot accurately detect the depth and exact location of the increased number of localised earth movements.

"This is the most active area of the country if we look at the whole country together," he told the Icelandic TV News. "There is no doubt that lava there is slowly growing, and the seismicity of the last few days is a sign of it.

"We need better measurements because it is difficult to determine the depth of earthquakes because it is in the middle of the country and much of the area is covered with glaciers."

Respected volcano watcher Jón Frímann, said on his volcano watch blog: "After the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption in the year 2010 it seems that geologists in Iceland take earthquake swarms more seriously then they did before."

He explained the Icelandic Met Office had on Sunday warned of the increased risk of a eruption in north-west side of Vatnajökull glacier due to the high earthquake activity in the area, and added: "It is clear that only time is going to tell us if there is going to be a eruption in this area soon or not."

The last recorded eruption of Bárdarbunga was in 1910, although volcanologists believe its last major eruption occurred in 1477 when it produced a large ash and pumice fallout. It also produced the largest known lava flow during the past 10,000 years on earth.

It is the second largest volcano on Iceland and is directly above the mantle plume of molten rock.

By comparison, Bárdarbunga dwarves the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which shutdown most of Europe's airspace last year after its ash cloud drifted across the continent's skies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/8311924/Icelandic-volcano-set-to-erupt.html

The cattleman who is going to AI my cows was over today. He was telling me that an annual cattle bash where cattle are bought and sold is having issues. He said that normally, he takes 12 cows to this event. He got a call from the organizer who was in a panic because NObody had any cattle to bring to this event, so he talked my AI guy into bringing 60 of his instead of 12...

We were also talking about pigs. My slaughterhouse is desperate for pigs but can't find any.

My mom called me this morning to read me this article in the Miami Herald.

Higher food prices ahead

.With U.S. corn supplies low, grocery prices are set to rise in the coming weeks and months.

By Associated Press

NEW YORK – Americans should brace for higher food prices this year now that demand for corn has pushed U.S. supplies to their lowest point in 15 years.

Higher projected orders from the ethanol industry sent corn futures soaring Wednesday, as corn supplies became the latest commodity to plummet. Low levels of wheat, coffee, soybeans and other food staples have already sent prices surging on the global market.

As those reserves decline, U.S. food companies are warning of retail price increases.

The ethanol industry’s projected corn orders this year have risen 8 percent, to 13 billion bushels, after record-high production in December and January, the Agriculture Department said Wednesday.

That means the United States will have a reserve of 675 million bushels of corn left over in late August when this year’s harvest begins. That’s roughly 5 percent of all corn that will be consumed, the lowest surplus level since 1996. (One bushel of corn corn equals 56 pounds).

The USDA report measures global supply and demand for grains, oilseeds and other crops. The department said its projections for wheat and soybean reserves remained unchanged at historically low levels.

The price of corn affects most food products in supermarkets. It’s used to feed the cattle, hogs and chickens that fill the meat aisle. It is the main ingredient in Cap’n Crunch and Doritos. Turned into corn syrup, it sweetens most soft drinks.

Major food makers and some restaurants have already said they’ll be raising prices this year because they’re paying more for corn, wheat, sugar, coffee and chocolate, all of which are at historically high prices. Weather, such as flooding in Australia and droughts elsewhere, has affected many crops this year.

A severe drought in China, the world’s largest wheat grower, could force prices even higher. The U.N.’s food agency has warned that the drought is driving up the country’s wheat prices, and now the focus is on whether China will buy more from the global market, where prices have already risen about 35 percent since mid-November.

Consumers will likely see price hikes as early as three months from now, though most of the impact won’t be felt for another six months, said Scott Irwin an agriculture economics professor at the University of Illinois. Chicken prices are among the first to rise because the bird’s life span is so short that higher feed costs get factored in quickly, he said. Price hikes for hogs take about a year and cattle two years, while packaged foods take six or seven months to start rising.

Some food makers already began selectively raising prices within the past few quarters.

Those higher prices are filtering into stores. Supermarkets have resisted price increases for some time, hoping to hold onto their cost-conscious customers in the tough economy. But chains such as Kroger now also say higher prices are coming.

Cereal maker Kellogg Co. said last week it plans to raise prices by 3 to 4 percentage points. Sara Lee Corp. said Tuesday that it will continue its price increases as it copes with higher commodity costs. The company said the price it pays for coffee beans alone is up 60 percent compared with last year.

And J.M. Smucker Co. said Tuesday that it would raise prices again on Folgers and Dunkin Donuts coffee for the third time this year, by 10 percent on average. A large can of Folgers is already going for around $12 at many markets.

It’s not just playing out in the grocery store. McDonald’s Corp. said last month that it may raise prices this year as its own food tab rises. The company already raised prices in some markets, including the United Kingdom.

Rising grain costs hit meat producers first. Tyson Foods, the nation’s biggest meat company, says it is aiming to cut $200 million in operational costs to offset higher corn and soybean costs. CEO Donnie Smith calls that the “new normal” price range. Tyson said chicken, beef and pork prices are expect to rise, if only slightly, this year as producers seek to cover costs.

Now, we've known this would happen for quite a while now, but it still doesn't erase the fact that it causes ones heart to feel heavy.

All we can do is the best we can. Get rabbits. Seriously. I hate talking like that but like I've written about recently, that pressure on the heart is constant, and to be quite frank, I worry. For others.

As I've been sitting here writing this, the song with the chorus line, "If we've ever needed You, Lord it's now" came on.

We've always needed Him, but I sure can identify with really needing Him now.

Signs up all over the produce market here. Mexico lost crops. Meaning HUGE price increases here in the US. We import tons of Mexican produce. Not that I want to eat it, but even many frozen veggies say they are from Mexico.. No Mexican foods, means higher demand on US produce.

This is not something to take lightly, I don't think.

I need to check my garden seed supply. Even if I need to plant veggies in the flower beds I will.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be

carried into the midst of the sea; though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof" (Psalm 46:1-3).

I woke up this morning thinking I need to start reducing my flocks of poultry and try to sell as many kids as I can from this year's crop. My feed bill has really jumped recently.

I hope everybody's gardens do well this year.

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

Strictly speaking, this news isn't local, but Andrew Maguire, who was the whistle blower re: manipulation of silver inventories by the likes of JP Morgan et al, is set to drop another bombshell on this situation in a couple of weeks. Also, silver is at "zero contango" which is a way of saying that... well, I can't explain it, but here are links to a couple of sites that can.

Long story short - fiat currency collapse could be imminent, along with hyper inflation. Have a look - the computer generated voices are annoyingly humorous...:misc-smiley-231:

http://silverbearcaf...1/fakegold.html ******* This has the video

http://www.zerohedge...us-metals-hours ********* This one does too, with some commentary.

http://www.gotgoldre...er-futures.html ***** This link has the definitions of such important terms as "zero contango" and "backwardation". :blink:

Seriously, check these out when you have a moment.

The supplier Sysco (not sure of the spelling)who supplies many restrants, frozen food, and canned food processors have been so hurt by the Mexican crop freezes that they are voiding their contracts with an "act of God" clause because they know they can not fulfill them at current rates. We are going to see price increases in food everywhere until new crops can be grown.

We have an open position at the state preschool I work at for a paraeducator. There were 40 applications! (Normally we've gotten at the most 10 because the pay is so low). Three were PHD's and several were full credentialed teachers. This is for a position were you need 12 unites of ECE and the CBEST. Why? I think because it has health benefits attached to it and there are very few teaching jobs in CA. My hubby will be out work 2 years in June. He has applied for positions up and down the state...gotten called for only 2 interviews because most districts are now mostly hiring in-district .

The supplier Sysco (not sure of the spelling)who supplies many restrants, frozen food, and canned food processors have been so hurt by the Mexican crop freezes that they are voiding their contracts with an "act of God" clause because they know they can not fulfill them at current rates. We are going to see price increases in food everywhere until new crops can be grown.

Sysco supplies many school systems with food.

http://www.sysco.com/

Yes....jobs are still hard to find in our area.

I'm currently watching the prices of food go through the roof! Difficult times at our house right now. DS2 isn't working and DS1 is in college also currently not working.

DH and I are working -(thank you Lord!)and trying to take care of every body right now. Anyhoo, at the grocery this week I noticed so many prices have gone up in a weeks time.

I realize the domino effect with the fuel prices but that doesn't make it any easier to stomach, ya know?

Since I have no gardening space per se at this rental house we moved into in August, I have been brainstorming like crazy. I've ALWAYS had some kind of garden. I checked out some books at the library regarding container gardening. (I haven't had any luck with container gardening in the past. ) I'm planning on containers and a few spots around the yard will be great to plant tomatoes, green peppers, etc. A flower bed in front of the house will be great to plant veggies too! Maybe I can plant enough to eat the fresh veggies and visit the Farmers Market for the canning veggies I want.

Time to tighten the belts once again!

Dh is laid off and made some calls this weekend but so far no job leads. All the connections he had are laid off too or close to it. We will go check on unemployment, assistance and do a job search tomorrow. Hoping for the best but its a lot to take in. I'm working on an alternate plan but we will just have to see. Will know more as this week progresses

Michelle,

I hope your husband has luck finding a job, I know it's rough out there, I'll pray about this tonight.

Momma fitz,, can you believe the food prices????? I was at save a lot to get coffee, it used to be $4.99, now it is $5.29 a can, I know it's only 30 cents, but other things have gone up also,, i just can't believe it!

Yes coffee prices are high! The two competing health food stores in my area always have it on sale for $4.99. This week neither had it on sale. Same with basic staples- bulk oats and rice. Neither has been on sale for over a month. I would like to replenish, but I don't want to pay full price!

Michelle- I'm sorry to hear of your husband. I'll pray for quick employment!!

It's not a major crisis but I'm puzzled. Last week a bar of Milka Creamy chocolate was 0,73 eurocents. Yesterday it was 0,83 and today it's 0,85 eurocents.

http://www.milka.nl/milka1/page?siteid=milka1-prd&locale=nlnl1&PagecRef=741

Dunno if you have this in the USA but to me it's comfort food. And a rise of 12 cents in one week, split in two rises has me wondering.

Gas is steadily rising.

Another big factory called Organon, medical, closing down. It's mother company, MSD/Merck, has left the negotian table with possibly buyers. They intend to fire 2175 of the around 4500 employees. Including around a 1000 high level research jobs.

MSD/Merck would like to keep a small research facility.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.