MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making my own sour cream?

You can make it by adding buttermilk to cream and letting it rest at room temperature overnight. You can also make your own buttermilk by adding store bought cultured buttermilk to regular milk and letting it culture over night. That way you can keep a chain going.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5785283_make-homem...sour-cream.html

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/blog/2010/...red-buttermilk/

• 2 weeks later...

To make your own sour cream, you will need to stir in several tablespoons of cultured sour cream into a pint of homemade butte milk and let it sit out on the counter until it is thick ~ usually 2 - 4 days. It will never get quite as thick as commercial sour cream, but its good on baked potatoes, Mexican food, or in recipes.

Home Made Buttermilk

1/2 cup commercial buttermilk

whole milk

Pour 1/2 cup commercial buttermilk into a quart jar and fill with whole milk. Let it sit on the counter until it becomes thick ~ usually 24 hours. To keep it going, you will have to always reserve a 1/2 cup of your home made buttermilk. Buttermilk + whole milk..... and the process keeps on....

ETA: When you want more sour cream, start your new batch with a couple of tablespoons from your last batch, stirred into more of your buttermik.

You can make very good sour cream just like you do yogurt only using a natural commercial sour cream as the starter. I use Daisy brand as it is just cultured cream and nothing else. I make it in my yogurt maker though it seems to be done a bit sooner than yougurt. As with yougurt, the longer it cultures in the maker the stronger tasting it becomes. I culture my yogurt 24 hours for health reasons (it changes more of the lactose) and I have left my sour cream overnight as well with no problems. Usually though, sour cream will be done in about six hours.

:bighug2:

Archived