MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need some advice/ideas about a holiday project.

I'm not sure if this is the right room for this or not, so sorry if it's in the wrong place. Every single year at Christmas, I bake a TON of homemade goodies and make individual gift baskets/containers for each and every person in hubby's workplace. It's usually a headcount of about 25. It's really important to him that I do this. <_< Needless to say, this is a lot of work.

This year, I'm wanting to make it easier and cheaper on myself. So instead of making these individual gifts for everyone, I was thinking of putting together a couple of trays of various goodies. They will need to be able to travel for two hours (his commute) so I try to avoid things that might melt while in the car. Any ideas on some goodies to include?

I'm really kind of over this tradition. I've been doing it for about 4 years and in that time, I've only had one person contact me and thank me. One other person said thank you a few months after the fact when he called my husband but got me on the phone instead.

So, yeah.

I do it trays for both of our offices and then my parents house (and probably for DD's teacher, this year).

I do a variety of trays of sweets - baklava, ruglach, kolachy, cutouts, truffles (variety), white choc/oat/cranberry, nutrolls, probably another 30 different kinds of cookies and sweets. (My dad is on blood thinners so he can't have anything with cranberries so he even gets a tray for himself.)

What about making nutrolls for each person or scaling down what you do on the trays? Maybe do a quarter or third less on the trays as you would put in the baskets. Maybe doing a sweet bread tray and a tray of cookies/other baked goods.

I'll start going through my recipes in the next week or two and the list of what I need and then start making dough the week before Halloween and put it in the freezer and make a little at a time. That's the only way it's doable for me.

Good luck and happy baking!

I agree with Jori........

Why not just make a simple tray of goodies for DH to take and share during office hours?

It's VERY discouraging to do things for the ungrateful.......

mommafitz

My mom would take goodies for the guys she worked with every year. We made a couple different bundt cakes that could be sliced and arranged on a tray. She'd make a huge batch of bourbon balls and we'd do chocolate and peanut butter fudge. Those can be packed into containers. Peanut butter fudge always seems to be big hit.

Another thing that is simple to make in large batches and travels well is cracker candy.