MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

bosch bread mixer???

boy--i need to quit watching the dehydrate 2 store videos--she has the greatest kitchen stuff--she was using a bosch bread mixer--anyone have one??? how much different would this be from a kitchenaid mixer with dough hook??? they are pretty pricey--just wondering if they are worth it

boy--i need to quit watching the dehydrate 2 store videos--she has the greatest kitchen stuff--she was using a bosch bread mixer--anyone have one??? how much different would this be from a kitchenaid mixer with dough hook??? they are pretty pricey--just wondering if they are worth it

I don't have a Bosch but I recently did a lot of research on mixers. There are a lot of complaints about the Kitchenaid not being able to handle bread dough, it tends to burn out the motor in a short amount of time. Many people did like the Bosch or Electrolux mixers but like you said they're pricey.

I ended up getting a Cuisinart, it got good reviews from bread makers and is comparable in price to a Kitchenaid, a little less even depending on the model.

http://www.amazon.co...46&sr=8-1-spell

Cooks Illustrated did a review of stand mixers in 2008:

http://www.cooksillu...asp?docid=12382

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Cuisinart 5.5 Quart Stand Mixer

In addition to acing its way through heavy tasks like kneading bread and pizza dough and churning cookie batter full of oats, nuts, and dried fruit, this machine offers a host of modern updates—a digital timer with automatic shut-off, a fold function for incorporating ingredients delicately, and a splash guard attachment with a built-in feed tube. It also features a spiral dough hook, which worked more efficiently than most other models to knead dough.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $299.00

RECOMMENDED

KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer

2009 update: Still a true kitchen workhorse, this cookware standard is strong enough for the thickest cookie batter and the tackiest bread dough. Newer models feature a "spiral" dough hook, which is more efficient at kneading than the previous "C-shape" dough hook, bringing this model back on par with the Cuisinart and negating the single gripe we had with the mixer when we last reviewed it in 2008. Please note: the new hook does not work on older models that feature a "C-shape" dough hook because of its vertical kneading motion, which puts a strain on the motor of older models designed to work with the horizontal motion of the C-shape hook.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $399.99

RECOMMENDED

DeLonghi DSM5 Stand Mixer

Watching this compact mixer expertly cream butter and sugar into a uniform consistency was a thing of beauty. Flared bowl and well-sized attachments kept ingredients "low in the bowl" and minimized scraping. A bit more composure during heavy workloads might have broken the near-tie with the KitchenAid in its favor.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $329.95

RECOMMENDED

Hobart N50 Stand Mixer

"Purrs like a kitten," said testers about this industrial-strength lion, as it calmly processed rustic dough, oatmeal cookies, and anything else we threw its way. Narrow bowl mouth (the narrowest) made it awkward to add ingredients, and turning off power to change speeds was a pain—but not as much as transporting the 55-pound beast.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $1850.31

RECOMMENDED WITH RESERVATIONS

Wolfgang Puck Bistro Stand Mixer

Whipped stiff peaks into cream in under a minute and a half and breezed through chunky oatmeal cookie batter, but machine rattled on heavy yeasted bread dough. Suction counter-grips were almost too strong at first and then weakened too much after just one day of use.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $249.90

Viking VSM500 Stand Mixer

If Viking ever figures out the "locking" concept, this 5-quart model might be the mixer to beat. Shaft-arm lock required ridiculous force to slam shut, but the real tragedy was how often attachments plummeted from the poorly designed socket during scraping breaks.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $384.88

DeLonghi DSM7 Stand Mixer

The DSM7 suffered the plight of tall, cavernous bowls—difficulty whipping small amounts and awkward scraping of sides. ("The hardest part is keeping yourself clean," noted one tester.) Despite huge-sounding wattage, more shaking and screeching with heavy loads than many other models.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $383.95

KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer

Kneading caused audible strain on the motor, as did adding heavy dry ingredients (oats) to cookie dough. Creamed and whipped like a pro—an economical choice for infrequent breadmakers. Narrow bowl mouth hindered tidy addition of dry ingredients.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $249.99

KitchenAid Accolade 400 Stand Mixer

More wattage (more money) than the Artisan, but consistently performed at a lower level. This "deluxe" motor sounded weaker, and attachments seemed ill designed for the slightly tweaked bowl shape. Some hated the "delayed start" feature, preferring the KitchenAid Artisan's immediate response.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $239.99

Viking VSM700 Stand Mixer

Same problems as the VSM500 (plummeting attachments, "slam lock" shaft design), and the two egg whites we'd hidden at the bottom of the cavernous bowl remained safe from agitation, no matter how far down we adjusted the whip attachment. This "1,000-watt" machine did seem powerful, but not more so than more modestly labeled motors.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $524.95

Hamilton Beach CPM700 Stand Mixer

The CPM700's 5-quart sibling stalled permanently during the elimination round, and this one stalled twice before finishing the task. Separate on/off switch is awkward, and mixer arm lurched violently. Large bowl presented usual problems for small amounts.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $484.57

Bosch Universal Kitchen Machine

Shaped like a food processor with mixer attachments, the Bosch did a commendable job when kneading bread dough. But the decentralized mixing space (a "doughnut" around a central spindle) kept less cohesive contents from meeting in the middle. Condensation from the lid affected dough moisture.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $329.00

NOT RECOMMENDED

West Bend 12-Speed Stand Mixer

A giant leap—down. Stationary (versus "planetary action") attachments prodded rather than kneaded tacky bread dough while the unanchored bowl spun erratically and almost caused the whole machine to fall off the counter.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $96.10

NOT RECOMMENDED

KitchenAid Classic Series Stand Mixer

Amid hefty contenders, KitchenAid's smallest model seemed more like a toy. The Classic did a fair job of creaming and whipping, but it wasn't cut out for kneading dough and had a chronic case of the shakes. You're better off opting for the more powerful Artisan, which costs the same.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $199.99

NOT RECOMMENDED

Electrolux DLS-2000 Assistent Stand Mixer

Wide bowl allowed easy access and capacity for nine bread loaves, but cookies, cakes, and even single loaves get lost in the abyss. The roller tool's grooves are a haven for butter, and the least intuitive user interface in the lineup had us constantly re-deciphering the manual before every task.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $499.00

I watched a Bosch in use Saturday, and it was amazing, but even more amazing was the Bosch grain mill she had. Somehow, she found a place where if she bought the mixer she got the grain mill free. Has owned it a couple of years now, and she loves it. She had a kitchenaid first, but noticed that it was getting hot each time she used it for bread, and she is a serious breakmaker.

well--i have a kitcheaid mixer but i would not consider using it for dough

thanks for the info prickle--i have a lot of cuisinart things and love each and every one of them--i will do some more research on this one--

the thing that caught my interest on her web site is that she didnt have to knead the dough--she just used the mixer--turned it out and rolled it out--now that sounds like it would be great on my arms and hands!!!

well--i have a kitcheaid mixer but i would not consider using it for dough

thanks for the info prickle--i have a lot of cuisinart things and love each and every one of them--i will do some more research on this one--

the thing that caught my interest on her web site is that she didnt have to knead the dough--she just used the mixer--turned it out and rolled it out--now that sounds like it would be great on my arms and hands!!!

You can do the same thing with a stand mixer, once the dough wraps around the hook it's all done but the risin', shaping and bakin'. No hand kneading required.

I've had Bosch mixers for the past 21 years. I bought a demo model from a health food store in 1989 and used it until my youngest went off to college. She took it with her in 1998. I got a new one then. It works great for bread. We make at least 5 loaves a week and often more. I love the blender that comes with it. We use it every day.

I watched the videos. The Bosch is really slick, I especially like the big opening on top to add in ingredients.

• 1 month later...

I own a Bosch mixer and love it. I bought it for a number of reasons. With my large family, I need to be able to turn out 6-8 loaves of whole wheat bread at a time. Most mixers cannot handle that much whole wheat dough. If they can do it at all, they cannot sustain years of doing so.

I simply cannot knead bread by hand due to my wrists, so I needed a machine I could rely on to do it for me.

Archived