MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone take Coconut Oil for low thyroid?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this or read about it. I have been using it for about a month now and have so much more energy than I did. Haven't lost any weight but am getting lots more done. One tsp. 2 or 3 times a day. I bought it at Walmart so of course they have discontinued it now.

Yep. I use it. I use it instead of butter or margarine. I use it in some baking. Theres a website with recipes .

I've noticed that my hair is more oily than normal, which compared to how dry and brittle it was, I'll take oily.

I've started using it as a moisturizer lately. It soaks right in like a sponge.( at least on my dry skin)

I don't know if it's the coconut oil or the diabetes medication, but I do have more energy and am starting to lose some weight.

I've only used a small scoop of it in the bathtub. I have terribly dry skin and can never apply lotion to all of my body evenly. There is always some body part that I miss. I've never heard of using for thyroid issues. I would think that it would be incredibly high in calories, though.

I use coconut oil all the time and love it! I used it tonight for a stir fry, I use it in baking, popcorn making, on toast, etc. If you want to get more into your diet, you can also float some on hot tea, which tastes really good. It's also really nice to use in the bathroom for moisturizer on your face and skin, oil pulling, extra dry patches, etc. I personally haven't lost any weight using it, but I've heard a lot of testimonials that say they have lost weight.

I'm surprised about everyone using it for moisturizing. ?? I make soap and everything I've read says that coconut oil can be very drying. ??? I use it in my soap for it's wonderful lathering quality, but not for moisturizing/conditioning. hmmmmm

I may try using it more in cooking/eating since I buy it in 50# buckets anyhow. I have a girlfriend who swears there's something wrong with my thyroid. :rolleyes: Don't know about that, but I can always use more energy. wink%20(2).gif

Where can you get it in 50# buckets?

I sometimes take a rosemary-based blend for low thyroid. I can't say I've noticed any difference in my energy level, though, and it gives me awful gas.

Edited by Ambergris

www.columbusfoods.com

It's under their 'Soapers Choice'. Where it says 'Click here to order any product from the list'. oooooh....I just looked--it went up a litle--it's $1.17/lb, was $1.00/lb. I haven't ordered it from there in awhile. Local Amish store started carrying alot of oils/butters for soapers, so I've been buying it there for $49.95, plus saving shipping. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I buy my Extra-Virgin Organic coconut oil from a farmer's market here for $21.98/gallon. Its the best price I've found. They also sell it in buckets but I haven't ran the math on that to see if its cheaper.

I use it for gut healing since I've read that hypothyroidism can be caused by candida/food sensitivities. I'm trying to eat an anti-candida diet (not been doing so good lately), and am working my way up to 6 T of co a day. 6 T is supposed to be a therapeutic level, but please, take it slow! Last yr I was up to like 4-5 T, quit for 3-4 weeks as I was waiting to buy more, bought some and went straight back to my previous dose. Uuuugh! Coconut oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, I had severe die-off, it was debilitating.

I have not lost any weight yet, I've actually heard its common for some to gain weight at first because their body is starving for high quality fats. Once you've been on it for awhile, you will then lose that weight.

I use it to fry everything, I'll even add dollops of it to soups, oatmeal, hot tea, etc. I've used it in recipes too, makes a yummy oil in brownies. :whistling:

I put it on my skin sometimes, and it makes my skin feel very soft, its just that it has no "staying" power like lotions have. But other than that, I LOVE it!

• Like 1

The coconut oil used in soaps is different and can be drying, but virgin coconut oil used as a moisturizer is wonderful for skin. Make sure you use VCO and not "regular" coconut oil -- for consumption or on your skin.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I also use it on and in everything. Baking, cooking, dog food, chicken treats, skin, baths, teas.

I buy the 5 gallon gold label from Tropical Traditions when it goes on sale... and I pay for the membership, it works out very cheaply compared to other quality EVCOs. It's truly much different than any other oils I have tried - including store bought from Spectrum Organics. And it's storage profile is unmatched by other oils. It has a minimum 5 year storage life, but Tropical Traditions tells me that it really has never gone bad in their warehouse, due to the nature of the product. (antiviral/antibacterial, etc)

NOTE: I also make a wonderful antibiotic ointment from EVCO and honey. Equal parts raw honey to virgin coconut oil - blend well and it mixes up into a white, creamy, almost frothy ointment that looks eerily similar to triple antibiotic ointment at the store. Given the moisturizing components of both ingredients, plus antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, and it's edible nature, I use this every time I need to treat the animals for wounds. Keep some on hand to toss in tea or coffee, yum. LOL.

Friend walks into house - me - you want some tea - them, yes please... OK, here, just let me toss some triple antibiotic ointment into that for ya. Yum yum.

Why is it that my friends never come to lunch anymore?

• Like 1

Oh, one more note. A bit of essential oils in the bathwater, with some coconut oil as a carrier... dunk yourself under the water to get your hair wet. When you're done bathing, drain the bathtub and shampoo your hair under the shower. It's like a hot oil treatment, and my waist length hair is shiny and beautiful, I never have split ends (I trim my hair yearly if it needs it or not LOL) - and it is not oily since you shampoo after you let the oil soak in for a bit. In fact, my shampoo froths up nicely with the coconut oil in my hair. It has a nice, synergistic effect on it.

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

Wow!  I have never heard of using coconut oil for low thyroid.  I have low thyroid.  I am so going to give this a try. I take synthroid and of course will have to take it the rest of my life. So any extra energy I can get will make me very happy.  

I love finding things that will help me.

• Like 1