MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bad news, ladies...

Cat

:shakinghead: So we've been denying ourselves and eating "good" stuff and all it takes is TWINKIES?????? :0327::faint3:

~~~~~~

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

By Madison Park, CNN

November 8, 2010

(CNN) -- Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

(Rest at site)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

~~~~~~

The Twinkie Diet: Nutrition Professor Goes on Monthlong Junk Food Binge

(Sept. 8) -- It's an experiment rich in irony and saturated fats: A Kansas State University nutrition professor will eat little more than Twinkies and Nutty Bars over the next several weeks in an attempt to disprove common beliefs about nutrition.

Mark Haub, 40, associate professor in K-State's Department of Human Nutrition, began a 30-day junk food marathon on Aug. 25. He is living on a diet of high-calorie, high-fat foods, such as snack cakes, powdered doughnuts and sticky buns, to show that foods commonly regarded as junk can actually help people lose weight.

(rest at site)

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/the-twinkie-diet-nutrition-professor-goes-on-month-long-junk-fo/19617804

~~~~~

:(:24::cele::feedme:

I could stand to lose a few pounds, too. I am quite certain that it could work for me because the only items that I might be able to stomach would be the donuts and the Doritos. I would imagine that I'd get appetite fatigue quickly and stop eating altogether.

I could stand to lose a few pounds, too. I am quite certain that it could work for me because the only items that I might be able to stomach would be the donuts and the Doritos. I would imagine that I'd get appetite fatigue quickly and stop eating altogether.

Twinkies :faint3:

I think i'd go insane eating those constantly. Don't care much for sweets (they make muh tummy hurt) and I tend to get appetite fatigue quickly. Unless its ramen. LOL.

Wait. Ramen diet. YES! SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

:grinning-smiley-044:

Twinkies would drive me batty... There's nothing in the texture or flavor that really appeals to me since I got past age 12.

I just find it interesting that the guy had a theory and tried it himself, and it worked.

These people who insist that a "special", known-only-to-them combination of foods, or certain mixtures of chemicals, or eat this, not that directions make me crazy. When my Dad was dying of cancer, Sis tried to change his total diet and made him miserable. I was the evil one for not liking or praising her magical mystery diet experiment. Yeah, she had a book, but she tends to be very superstitious and gullible, and it was way past trying that kind of stuff. Dad would sneak out to McDonalds until he couldn't drive any more. :(

It still hurts, because Mom always took her side and did then, too.

Twinkies :faint3:

I think i'd go insane eating those constantly. Don't care much for sweets (they make muh tummy hurt) and I tend to get appetite fatigue quickly. Unless its ramen. LOL.

Wait. Ramen diet. YES! SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Ha! I think if I tried this, people around me would get scared that I'd start wearing orange and yellling "Dattebayo!" at them all the time.:ph34r: But if you use it as an ingredient, it's pretty flexible. . .

I learned about the BS of what most people proclaim as diet secrets when I had cancer. One thing the nurses told me was that if I craved something, to eat it, because the chemo was messing with my body, and cravings were how my body told me what it needed.

Overall, I ended up with a pretty low-carb diet-- bacon, hot wings and extra hot Doritos is pretty much all I could taste. So breakfast was scrambled eggs (with Tobasco! and tomatoes) and bacon, lunch was hot wings and fruit, dinner was normal with generally lots of garlic and drinking giner ale through the day. It got to the point that my bad cholesterol was so low that it wouldn't register on the machines-- they thought they were broken, until the third test. My blood sugar was on the low end of normal. All the tests were good, save for the presence of the toxins from the chemo, and they asked me how I did it. I told them "Ohh, eggs and bacon every morning, and hot wings for lunch, and salads and a nice, rare steak for dinner!"

They were always so shocked. "Really?"

"Yeah. Sometimes chicken instead of steak, and brocolli instead of salad. But eggs, bacon and hot wings are the key!" lol

No, no, I could never go vegetarian. God gave me incisors for a reason!:happy0203:

th_FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

Not a diet for me, I don't like Twinkies. I will just continue to eat as I am until the dr. says I have to stop eating this or that. :) She did too, when I had that diverticulitis attack a couple months or so ago.

Eat more often and less and the good stuff is what they say.

I need to lose a few pounds yet too. :)

I had to get rid of all the clothes in my closet and buy new ones this fall. I am down 2 sizes, and need to get down another 1 or 2. After having kids, hips just don't want to go down though. :(

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived