MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ed and Peg......can we get an update....

Thanks for the prayer and concern. He is still living with us, however...every "episode" or seizure he has (I forget the medical term)..takes away a part of him..both mentally and physically. His hands shake really bad and he can't remember yesterday..wish it was a better update. Ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Thank you all. You "guys" lift my spirit without knowing or asking for that...you are the best understanding ones...you all know I don't type too well(ask my boss!)..but seriuos..it is kind of hard. Peg is looking into home care asst...working different hours so he is not alone...cooking..feeding..bathing..takes it toll..but I would not have it any other way.

Funny, being one of the few men here for the past few years,your compassion, wisdom, and real life experiences(read in knowledge)..Oh! and sense of humour..have always made me think that this is one of the best sites on the web. Thanks again all...Ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Huge hugs to you Ed, and to Peg.

Everytime I read your posts, it touches my heart deeply, because I've been in those shoes with my father. It was the hardest time of my life yet.

Watching our parents deteriorate is heart-breaking. My DH & I had an understanding from the beginning that if anything happened to our parents, we would take care of them in our own home... we'd NEVER put them in a nursing home. Little did I know that it would become absolutely necessary. (Shaking my head.)

But until that decision arrived, my DH was a real trooper. We slept in shifts so that someone was awake at all times. I finally purchased a baby monitor to hear if he was in need or trying to get up. He fell all the time and we had a stone hallway. He was like a 160 lb baby... had NO 'awareness' the majority of the time.

It was at this point that I realized I finally had to "release" him when he was finally ready to go. I'd been so close to him; loved him SO much I couldn't bear the thought of losing him. My mother had died when I was a little girl so we were very close. All this went on for about 3 years. He'd get a little better, then worse again. God carried me through it all.

So this is a message mostly to you, Ed. So that you'll understand from another woman's point of view what your actions mean to your wife. My husband never complained. He listened to my frustrations, he held me when I would break down and sometimes he'd cry with me. He was always there in a crisis or when we'd have to rush to the hospital.

My father was a retired minister. When he started slipping, many dear friends were at his bedside, along with my stepmother and my husband. (He rushed there from work at my phone call.) In the last half hour, I realized there was no "pastor" present to say a prayer with him. I explained this to my husband and asked him if he would take over in this regard.

His prayer was the most perfect, most touching prayer I think I've ever heard - and I know how very difficult it was for him, but... no pastor could have done any better than he did. My husband made me more proud of him than I could ever put into words - and I will NEVER forget it.

He stayed by our sides throughout the funeral preparations, funeral and family gatherings. He didn't leave my side to go back to work (I took a few days off) until I told him it was okay and that I'd be all right.

I will always treasure the precious heart he has, his thoughtfulness through the hardest times of my life, and I'll always thank God for giving me such a wonderful man in my life.

My hat's off to you, Ed - you are one of those precious men.

------------------

shepherd.gif