MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I've always said...

As always you remind us that it's not just what we do to prepare, but how we think about building community to thrive, not just survive. Community is what will hold civilization together. I have been working hard at not only maintaining my preps, but increasing the connections to others in my community and building skills. Nursing school has given me increased medical skills, and a great network of people who care about me and who I care about. In an uncertain world with an uncertain future I can't think of any other prep that is as valuable as a social support network.

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this thread until this morning. I have sat here and read each and every post, comment and ramble. :)

So many things well said! Such inspiring thoughts and heart felt words. MrsS is the best!

I've reached out a bit in my own community and did some bread baking basic classes and with the help of our County Extension Office, even did a Canning Class. BUT, I grew discouraged with the results. Oh, they were all so interested and impressed and eager to see it all done, but, I think they were too busy planning their next vacation to actually put any of it into practice.

Here's my next plan..discipleship. This comes from a personal belief that instead of just trying to 'evangelize' the world as Christians, we should focus on building one on one relationships with new or struggling Christians and mentor/teach/encourage that particular person.

I read a startling statistic a few months ago about how many more people would be reached if we diescipled than if we evangelized. I think the same theory may apply to the prepping. Perhaps I'll focus on one family at a time and see if I can actually encourage them to take some action???

Well, in the end, I agree with the idea, that it will be God shuting the doors and opening up opportunities. He, above all others, knows what is truly important in light of eternity.

I know this, I wouldn't change my lifestyle of a homesteading family for a life that may seem more convenient. I love it! It fills me with a contentment that I am doing the best with what I have and being a good steward of what has been given to me.

Thanks for a gentle prod to be more focused and the reminder of how important it is to invest in the community that we live in. Well Said.

My best friend told me she and her dh did not feel "lead" to prep. They are too far away from me that I could possibly help them, nor have I had resources to feed so many extras.

I might have dismissed my own inner urgings if David Wilkerson and Carter Conlon were not so insistent that a terrible dark time is coming very soon and that we must be ready. Time Square Church is presently prepping supplies for their congregation that is unable to prep. If that doesn't show us that God is about to do something, I guess nothing will.

Do you have a link on David Wilkerson's church? I would like to read the article about this, as I know he is a true man of God.

Do you have a link on David Wilkerson's church? I would like to read the article about this, as I know he is a true man of God.

I believe that would be here: http://www.tscnyc.org/

Under "Media Center", there is a listing for "blogs", as well as lots of other information under other headings.

Just found this thread as well and wanted to thank everybody for all their insightful posts. The last two weeks I've be wondering if I'm prepped enough, realizing there is no way I can grow enough food for us all in my poor soil, worried about water, wishing DH would let me have goats, etc. - just general panic mode. Panic mode has been setting in primarily because last fall, as I was hanging laundry on the line outside, my then 7-year old daughter very calmly told me, "Mom, the economy will collapse in the spring but it will be Ok because people will have started their gardens." I was a bit stunned.

The next day I wrote my parents a letter and told them what their grand-daughter had said. The morning before my letter arrived my father read this (we're LDS so this is from the Book of Mormon), "Behold, it came to pass on the morrow that the multitude gathered themselves together, and they both saw and heard these children; yea even babes did open their mouths and utter marvelous things."

Having my letter come shortly after reading this passage really affected my father. He is taking a possible spring economic collapse very seriously.

But I don't want it the economy to collapse! *Wail!* And what if what DD said is correct and I only have a few more months? If it was just me and DH then I wouldn't be so emotional but I worry that I won't be able to provide for my two sweet children.

All this has been churning through my mind. Then last night as I was pouring my heart out to God, telling him how worried I was because I didn't think I was adequately prepared, the sweet words came into my mind that He would make up for what I lack. I felt such a rush of peace. Then this morning I found this thread and have been further lifted and supported by the posts here.

Thank you again to Darlene and everyone that contributes to this website. I'm not on Mrs S very often but this website is always here to lift me up just when I need it.