MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

An Unconventional Idea...what do you think?

Guest Guest

My only nephew is getting married on Dec 20th. I am going to give a shower for his bride to be, but wonder about giving my nephew a Handyman shower and combining the two. My nephew just bought his first home, a 3 bdr townhouse, that they will live in. He is barely 20 years old, so it's not like he's been on his own for long, to acquire alot of tools. Every homeowner needs basic tools for home maintenance. What do you think of this idea? My husband would host the mens shower, and would only invite the men, and I would do the same with the women, but we would hold the two showers together. Is this too far out? I have ideas on food and an icebreaker that would be fun for both men and women, plus a way for the bride and groom to entertain us, at the end of the shower.

I think it is a great way to bring everybody together! I knew a couple who did something similar for a baby shower...and it turned out to be alot of fun. At my wedding shower,my cousin who hosted, got a picture of me and my husband and put this huge mat around it, as a gift to us she had all of our friends and family write inspirational messages and helpul advice to us. I later had it framed and it hangs in my house. It has really become a gift i cherish, and look to when times get rough, and was relatively inexpensive. And YES everybody just starting out needs tools! I learned the hard way that it is really hard to hang curtains and pictures without them! I think the combined shower is a great idea...i will also ask my friend for some good ideas for games and things.

I think it's a wonderful idea! So, when should we show up? wink.gif Just kidding! Just thought I'd mentioned that I think your nephew sounds pretty mature...his own palce at 20 years old???Good for him...get him all the tools he needs!

I like showers and parties and stuff, and I think a co-ed shower would be great...you can look around at craft stores, they have caps that say "Bride" and "groom" on them...might be a nice touch! There are also a lot of fun games to be played among couples, or just by including guys (even if they aren't couples). I'll see if I can find some for you and I'll post them here. Hope you have lots of fun and best of luck to your nephew and his bride!

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

This is the way showers have been done here for years. It's the best. I suggest doing a tool box for the bride too. I built one for each of my kids and myself! Craftsman tool sales! Yes!

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

Fantastic Idea! Can I suggest you also ask everyone to include a christmas ornament? Since they are getting married so close to christmas I know that would have a lot of meaning smile.gif My anniversary is Dec 16th and our first christmas together I ended up making most of my ornaments, since my mind was on getting ready for the wedding not the holidays!

------------------

becca.jpg

[This message has been edited by Becca Anne (edited October 04, 2002).]

Wow! What a wonderful response! OK, I'm going to do it, and any suggestions are welcome.

Becca, my nephews Mom and Grandma have each given him a Christmas ornament every Christmas since he was born, so they have at least 38 ornaments. That's a tradition that my Mom started for all of her children and grandchildren.

Ed, you're too funny! Just skip the party and give him the tools, eh? lol

Lacey, I love the idea of the pic and mat with inspirational advice. Maybe I can get a large copy of their engagement photo.

I'm going to send out recipe cards with each invitation, and ask for that guests favorite, simple, main dish. I was going to send a second card for "best marital advice", but the pic idea sounds better.

We had one shower and our wedding party threw us a big barbeque at a local park, they rented the pavilion and bought all the food-and desserts plus a cake, plus they chipped in for steak, lobster and chicken to be grilled for all the guests. Over 120 were invited to the shower and all showed up.

Mike and I had a wonderful time as well as everyone else. It shows you that people can have a blast without having liquor at these types of parties.

Some of the gifts at the shower were wild.

Some of my attendents got together and filled two huge new garbage cans with canned and boxed food items and spices, anything canned, and they took off all the labels and had the labels in an envelope.

It was interesting eating these canned foods and boxed foods because you never know what you were getting when you opened up a can or box and the object of non labeled items was to build a meal around a can that you opened. We didn't have to buy those items for a year. Also they bought us a years supply of toilet paper and made up another garbage can for tools Mike didn't have, He has them all but what could you say... now he has copies... and dish soaps, cleaning products other manly man tools and whatever it is they use to putter around with.

That was just from the wedding party and let me tell you we used it all.

Having the shower for the couple saves alot of money and everyone male and female get to have a good time together.

Just an interesting note, Becca, your ammiversary is my daughters birthday! She'll be two this year and is a real cutiepie smile.gif! I guess I might be a little biased!

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

I think it's a great idea, too! smile.gif

I don't know how long you have, but I was looking for cookie cutters for the kids at church & came across this place. The cutters are only about 70 cents to $1 each, with shipping $4.75 for up to 99 cutters.

Under "Odds & Ends", they have a hammer, hatchet, saw, & scissors. Might make some cute "Tool Time" cookies...

------------------

cat.jpg