MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nichole

Buying Fruit Trees

I am looking into getting some apple and cherry trees to start our orchard. I don't really want to buy the fruit trees they sell in town because they never look very good, and I wanted to stick with the older varieties of trees. Where do you guys get your trees, and how was your experiences with the companies? I have priced jungseeds.com and they seem to have the best prices for the semi-dwarf trees. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Nichole

Being in Europe I can't comment on USA sellers. If I buy any fruittree it'd come from a nursery, specialized in that kind of work.

Seen too many gardencenters that sell trees and bushes that are nice for hobbies. If we plan with a survival strategy, I'd rather get a better quality and be sure that tree delivers.

We have 4 apple trees that DH has picked up from Lowes and either Menards or Walmart (don't remember). There are growing and produce apples (they are 4 or 5 years old) we have yet to use any of the apples because they fall off due to wind (our neighborhood is an old farm field so no trees unless they've been put in by the owner). We have a red and golden delicious that are labeled dwarf but seem tall to me (not normal apple tree height but tall). You'll need to look into safe ways to spray them. We picked up 2 weeping crabapples from the local nursery/farm and they are wonderful!!!! We will probably pick up a pear tree from them this spring.

If you have a local nursery that would be the first place I would go to. Not sure where you are but I have friends in Bloomington, Sheridan, and lived in/comfortable with Vincesse and Evansville, I can check with them and see if they have a recommendation for a good nursery if you are in any of those areas. (PM me and let me know if you want me to check). If you have an orchard, they might sell you a few???? Website: seedsofchange.com has apple tree starts (at least one heirloom).

Can't help with the cherries.

Good luck

Edited by Jori

i have used stark brothers out of missouri for years--everything is guaranteed and i have had no problems with any of their products you can google them and get a catalog

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! This week has been crazy at work, and spent yesterday picking up some calves. I ordered a catalog from Stark Bros., a few days ago.

Jori- I live in between Eville and Vincennes. I have not thought to check out Vincennes nursuries. I know they have a few. Thanks :) We had an orchard before we moved to our current place. It was already established. At least 20 or so trees. We never sprayed them and had no problem. One year though the Jap. Beetles were especially bad, I remember that year well! We would shake the trees and swarms would fly out. We put out the bag traps and they would fiill in a day. I loved that orchard! My sister and I played in there all the time. I would love to have another one that big. hmmm.... possible business idea???

I was suprised with the height dwarf and semi-dwarf actually get. Semi dwarf is around 12-15' I think. Not sure about Dwarf though.

We have a greenhouse/nursery operation down the road. That is where we get our fruit trees. The nurseries in the next larger city are usually higher priced and I don't think the quality is any better. Besides, at the local operation I can talk to the owners and get good info on what grows good here and why and how.