MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I found a home!

Twilight

After 4 months of "floating" after I sold my home of 22 years, I have another one.

It is so good to be in my own home once again. There are many things to do but the place

is so peaceful, it is rest to my soul.

I have an old sturdy house that needs minor work- the electrician is coming on Monday to check out and

do whatever is necessary.I may need a new amp box and meter loop. When that is taken care of I will

get appliances in. Right now I am using a crock pot , waffle iron and a manual percolater which I heat

at the fireplace. My stuff which had been stored has been stacked in a couple of rooms. I had to take

up the carpet in two rooms and I decided to take out the wall between the living and the kitchen/dining

combo. Things are beginning to shape up a bit. I live in one room -that's all I have had for the last

4 months so that is not a hardship. I have found I could live with very little and I am wondering just

how much I truly need. I have been washing by hand and I have outdoor lines to dry on.

A fridg and stove will be very helpful but push comes to shove I could do without them to.

I truly believe we are fixing to go thru some drastic changes. I know God can care for us just as He did

the children of Israel when He led them through the wilderness 40 years and their clothes nor their sandals

wore out. He is the same God yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Twilight

Twilight, congratulations. It's wonderful to have a new home, all yours.

Hope you live to a ripe old age of 120 there.

Congratulations on your new home. I hope everything goes well for you. I agree with being surprised at what we can do without or ways we can manage if we need to. I got very upset with dh's lay off and worried about our housing and situation definitely feeling like we were stuck and had 'nothing'. Turns out after a little creative thought we had more available than we thought we did. We had temporary (maybe permanent small if had to be?) housing that could be set up easily. Most of the supplies were on hand. Also had a couple of hutches more supplies to make a couple more. Enough scraps and such around that we could have put in a chicken coop and maybe even a small barn. We had ways to wash and dry clothes even if it wasn't convenient and electric. Ways to cook and supplies. Plenty of access to good water. We even could have probably managed a root cellar of some kind from the things we had on hand. It was definitely an experience and while he's working again now and we have more time to prepare I feel better knowing that we can get creative and make do fairly well if we need to. Sometimes all we need to do is to change the way we look at things.

The electrician/ plumber has been here this morning. He has spent hours running done each wire.I appreciate his thoroughness.

There were wires that went nowhere, too many things on one circuit, loose connections, poor or no grounds.Then he checked the plumbing

which is minor really, one connection to be replaced, new lab, faceuts, water lines, etc, This can mostly be done today.

Then tomorrow he will help me finish the wall I am tearing out. Remove a cabinet so the refrigerator can fit in. I can now be comfortable

about getting my appliaces since the electricity has been repaired.

There is a lennox furnance with a heat pump. I know nothing about this operation, have always heated my house with wood. There is a fireplace but it needs an insert, or something.

Much to be done.

Twilight.

Yes I have always thought Lennox was good, They do not have such good ratings now as they used too. This furnace was installed in 1985 and I believe it is a good one. I have no idea what it costs to run though...

Since the electrician tightened up the neutrals it worked like a charm.

I am so used to wood heat though and like to be independent of electricity if at all possible.

Heat pumps are supposed to be lots cheaper to run than regular electric furnaces. Much depends on how tight the house is and how well insulated.

I used wood for yrs and yrs, but it got to where I was buying it since I didn't have any way of cutting and hauling it. Might be comparative in cost. Sure is a lot easier on our older backs to use electric or even gas.

When I sold my last home it was with the intention of taking life easier. Strange thought for me, as I am next to being a workaholic and a glutton for punishment. I have been working right along with my repairman, or rather he does his thing and I do mine, But I have learned one thing and that is there is a time to stop and rest. 15- 30 minutes puts me back to rights and I go again.

I like this furnace- if I can afford it. I love a wood fire and old houses are better for wood as it helps keep the moisture down. But if I get a wood stove I will be right back to cutting my own wood.

I guess I will wait and see what my electric bill is. It will be better to buy a wood stove in the summer time anyway.

Lord help me make the right decisions always.

Twilight

You do have the fireplace, though I'd have it checked before using it. I bought a house once with a fireplace and my mother stuffed it full of dry twigs and put a match to it. She was enjoying her "nice bright fire" roaring up the chimney till I dashed a bucket of water over it. When I had it inspected prior to selling it the inspector said the chimney was cracked where it went thru the attic. Could have lost the house.

I have a small wood stove and pipe for backup, but haven't needed it since we moved her in 05. I am so glad not to have the work and mess in the house!

Archived