MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Please Pray for my Brother In Law

themartianchick

Please pray for my brother in law...Today, my brother in law was taken to the hospital. They said that his blood sugar reading was around 1000. (I never knew it could get that high!) He is essentially a single father of a profoundly disabled 20 year old and he is currently collecting unemployment because he was fired illegally and he was due to start back to work in a couple of weeks after winning his case. He has no health insurance and doesn't qualify for the usual options like Medicaid, etc...

I was at work when it happened, but I was told that he sort of collapsed and that his legs couldn't support him. He knew that something was up with his health but didn't go to the doctor initially because he felt that he couldn't afford it. When he was provided with the information about a free clinic, he still didn't go because he was afraid of the diagnosis that he might receive. :banghead:

They are keeping him at the hospital and trying to get his blood sugar down. His vision has gotten blurry. We don't if the vision changes will be permanent or not. This is really scary for all of us in our house. Two years ago, my sister went through something similar and is now legally blind as a result. This situation feels like deja vu.

For the rest of the family (Hubby is from a family of 13 children) it is quite a blow. He is the brother that everyone knows that they can call on in any emergency and he would give the shirt off of his back to anyone in need. Now, he is the one in need.

I just spoke to my brother in law. He is feeling much better and was able to clarify his blood sugar reading for me. It was 770 when he was admitted to the hospital. It is now down to 280-something. He is no longer feeling the general weakness that made it dificult for him to stand but he has a terrible headache and his vision is still blurry. They've told him that the headache is caused by pressure in his eyes, but I don't think that they shared the implications of that with him. For my sister, it meant that her eyes were bleeding due to the eye pressure and that is what led to her legally blind status.

For now, he is in good spirits and is hoping that they will release him from the hospital later today. They did tell him that he doesn't qualify for Medicaid and it is doubtful that he will qualify for the Family Health Plus program that we have in NY State. The one bright spot is that they did say that if they cannot find coverage for him, then they will cut the bill down and accept payments that he can afford, even if the bill never gets paid off.

In the What Have You Done This Week to Prepare Thread, I posted that we moved a sister in law into the apartment house next door. She now lives downstairs from the same brother that is now in the hospital. She moved in on the 15th and he was hospitalized on the 17th. If she hadn't been living there, his condition might not have been discovered in time. Everyone in my house had left for work so no one would have realized that anything was even wrong with his health until evening. While I originally had some misgivings about moving another relative into a property that is so close to us, I am eternally grateful that she is there and able to share in the care and support of our nephew. We'll be taking turns keeping him overnight for as long as necessary.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. They have been of great comfort to me and to my family.

Archived