MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My baby is sick!

Guest Guest

My little almost two year old girl is sick!

frown.gif It makes me feel so bad to see her with a stuffed nose, trying to breathe and not being able to, her eyes runny and just plaing feeling miserable. If I could take her sickness for her I would. She is such a sweet little girl...even though she is feeling so sick, she still has a good attitude. A little more whiney but understandbly so. Thought I'd share this with all of you...I think I feel a little better, I sure hope she does soon.

By the way, English is not my first language, so please forgive all my mispelled words. I grew up in Mexico as a Missionary kid. They say that MK's (Missionary Kids) know two languages but can't spell in either of them! That's me!

Hope you all have a great day!

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

Oh the poor baby... But you know they do have these colds. Gosh I remember haveing my 3 and 3 others with strep throuths (sp?). And I'm allergic to pennicilin. So I had all the mothers put their kids on antibiotics at the same time so we could get rid of it. They just passed it from one to another . di

------------------

diinmi.jpg

happygirl, do you have a vaporizer you can use with "Vick's" in it as a vapor? I like the hot steam ones, though some say the cool ones are better.

If nothing else, try rubbing the Vick's on her chest (if she can stand it- it might burn a bit on sensitive skin) or (believe it or not) on her FEET! Some people swear it helps, and I've tried it on my youngest ones with socks on overnight.

I figure it sure couldn't hurt, and the feet have tougher skin. smile.gif

And chicken noodle soup, to break up the mucus and help clear the throat. "Mrs. Grass's" is good if you don't make it yourself instead.

And warm tea, served in a cute little cheap tea set that will delight her and take her mind off her misery. Just get something cheap she can break and no one will fuss about.

The memories are precious, and she'll be distracted.

I usually set our "tea party" with a *towel* so that when the kids spilled the sugar out of the little "sugar bowl" or the milk out of the "creamer", or even the tea when THEY poured (of course they have to!)... MOM didn't get upset!

(Oh, and show them how to crook their "pinkie" JUST SO when sipping!!) grin.gif

And don't worry about the spelling. As long as we can figure out what you're saying, esta' bien! smile.gif

------------------

cat.jpg

Happy girl...I hope your daughter is feeling better really soon! It's hard to see little one's sick.

Wow, you are an MK? That is great! I would love to hear any stories you would want to share! smile.gif

God Bless!

Debbie

Sorry I didn't see this post until just now.

I hope your little girl is feeling much better by now.

Here is a Hug for her (((((((HUG)))))).

It has been so long since I had a two year old of my own, but, youngest grandsons are 3. So, I haven't had to think about little ones and colds or such.

Cat knows what she is taking about, so use the 'Vick's' if she can handle it. smile.gif

Please let us know how she is doing.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Hi all! Thanks for your support! My little girl is feeling better today. I did give her chicken soup (from a can, since that's all I had frown.gif), and I warmed her milk up every time she had some. She was a lot more talkative today, and seemed brighter. I would have done the Vicks idea (my Mom used to do that for me!), but I don't have any, and without a car...so I'll go buy some to have on hand when my DH comes home this weekend. Our little girl also misses him so much. She asked for him a lot today...and pretended that a doll (a prince) that she has was him. The prince has a beard...and so does mine (my prince that is wink.gif)! It was so cute to watch her play and call the doll Daddy! It broke my heart that we can't all be together, but I know that it is just for a season, and seasons change...

Thank you all for your prayers, encouragement and ideas...I still want to buy her a little tea set...that would be fun!

Tea, anyone?

What kind of tea would you sudgest for someone her age?

And as far as my background being an MK, I have lots of stories...maybe I'll post some here once in a while. Would this be the right place or would the Sunporch be better?

Just to give you a little taste of what it was like though, I'll share a little bit of a book called "You know you're an MK when..."

1. You can't answer the question, "where are you from?"

2. You speak in two languages, but can't spell in either.

3. You flew before you could walk.

4. You embarrass yourself by asking what swearwords mean.

5. You have a passport, but no driver's license. (True until last month!) smile.gif

I'll stop at these five and see what you guys think. They are very funny to me, but I don't want to bore you...

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

------------------

Glad she's better! smile.gif

One thing, too... if she has healthy juices instead of a lot of milk while she's ill, it will help cut down on the mucus. Some milk is fine, but it creates more mucus.

Sounds like you did just fine with her!

Do you have anyone living nearby you who you can call for a ride or ask to pick something up for you? Or are you in the "boonies"? A support system is SO important!

I just used regular teabags ("Red Rose" gives free little figurines!), rather weakly brewed for the kids.

It might be best to put the stories in "For His Glory" (link at the top) and just refer to them here for any one who'd like to read them *there*. It is our Christian "sister site", though I'm having trouble getting the different forums up & running yet.

Once posts are there in the current forum, I'll move them into the appropriate forums when they're set up.

Hang in there, Mommy!! smile.gif

------------------

cat.jpg

Glad she's perking up a bit. I hate when my little ones are ill. Cat's got great advise, vicks is the best. If she can't tolerate it on her skin, you can always saftey pin a washcloth on her chest and rub a bit on the cloth. That way she can breath the vapors without it touching her skin. The vaporizer helps a lot, and lots of juice or water to keep the mucus thin. Hugs and stories are good medicine too smile.gif Hope she feels all better soon!

I always make peppermint tea for my kiddos when they're ill. They seem to like it better than regular tea.

------------------

becca.jpg

Isn't everyones advice great Happy? I hope your girly girl is feeling much better by now. I also hate when kids are sick. I know I feel helpless when any loved one of mine is sick and wish I can kiss it and make it all better. Thats the mom in me I guess.

Take care and God Bless.

• 3 weeks later...

My little girl is STILL sick!!! I'm not sure what to do anymore...I've tried pretty much everything, including going to the doctor (who said that it's just a virus and it needs to take it's toll). The poor little one can hardly breath sometimes! frown.gif I can hear the flem in her throat, but she doesn't know how to get it out. I've been praying for her lots, and am trusting that she'll get better soon!

Thought I'd share this with you all...you were such an encouragement last time! Thank you! Happygirl (a little sad right now! frown.gif)

------------------

HG so sorry to hear about your sick baby. Sorry I did not respond before now, I did not see the post. Sorry

There are a few things you can do to help your baby get through this a lot quicker. Some were mentioned before and I was very skeptical of the one at first but it definately made a believer out of me.

1. Put some vicks on her feet before she goes to bed at night. It really works good in most cases.

2. Make some homemade chicken noodle soup with barley in it. Let her eat all of that she wishes, it helps a lot, especally with the added barley.

3. Instead of tea, get some peppermint oil from the drug store and make some hot water, add one drop of peppermint oil (adults need 2 drops) to the water and sweeten to taste. Make sure you have lots of kleenex's as this will make her drain so she can breath. While it is still too hot to drink, have her breath in the steam, then when it is cool enough to drink have her drink it.

4. Another tea you can make for her that will help is hot lemonaide with ginger. You just use juice from a lemon, honey and a bit of the spice ginger. The ginger will settle to the bottom of the tea cup so she can have fun stirring it as she drinks it. It also is best served hot and breath in the steam until cool enough to drink.

5. If you have a Walmart store near by (I find this cheaper in Walmart than any where else.) get a bottle of Echinacea and Golden Seal, this should make her well soon.

6. If you wish to give her tea, give her Echinacea tea, Golden Seal tea or a combination of both. These both are immune system builders and the two together are powerful immune system builders and bad germ blockers.

7. If there is a GNC or health food store in your area go to it and buy this, (it is the best I have ever seen and I have all my friends and their kids using it.) Acidophlis or PB 8 (Pro-Biotic Acidophilis). Now this part is very important (lower doses don't seem to have the kick needed.). Read the label before you buy it and make sure it has 14 billion germs per capsule. Give her one a day until she is feeling better. Then stop giving it to her until she is feeling ill again. DO NOT give it to her if she is taking an antibiotic, but give it to her for two days after she is off the antibiotic. This stuff is harmless, all it is, is good germs. Our bodies have good and bad germs. When we are sick we need more good germs to fight off the bad germs.

8. If you wish to give her little treats and or goodies to nibble on here are a few good ones......

Ginger snaps

Ginger ale

Ginger bread

Peppermint candy of any type

9. During the day time you can sprinkle a little ginger powder (the spice) on the inside of her shoes. Put socks on her and let her walk around with the ginger inside her shoes. It is great at keeping her little feet warm. In the winter time you can do this to her mittens also. If you use ginger in this way your hands and feet won't be cold when you are out in the cold weather.

10. Here is something my Mom used to do and it also helps. We used to have a stone that we kept on the wood stove all day long so it got real hot. At night we wraped it in newspaper and put it in our beds at night. We kept our feet warm on it while we slept. We didn't get as sick or as often when we did that. One year we forgot to get our stones and winter came early so we could no longer get one. So my Mom took a glass bottle and made boiling hot lemonaide with ginger in it. She wraped the bottle in newspaper and we took it to bed with us in place of the stone. When we got up in the morning it was still warm and we drank it before going to school. I was born with circulation problems and could not survive the cold weather of winter without the hot ginger tea and ginger products. My hands and feet frose before I could get to school or get home from school. I was in danger of frost bite and that was the only way my Mom could help me survive the cold Michigan winters.

Sorry about this being so long. Sure hope this is of some help to you. You and your baby is in my thoughts and prayers.

BTW may I ask, what is your baby's first name? I like to be specific when I pray.

(((((((((((((((HG and baby girl)))))))))))))

Hill

[This message has been edited by Hillbillee (edited October 30, 2002).]

Happygirl, hope your little one gets better real soon. It is hard on them and hard on Mom too.

Wonder if you should see a different Dr., just a thought.

Praying with you for your little girl.

(((((((HUGS for both of you))))))))

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Thank you all so much for you support and advice! It's nice to here your battle stories (5 kids with chicken pox at once...yikes!:eek smile.gif

My little girl's name is Victoria. We named her that because it means Victory in Spanish. I almost lost her several times during my pregnancy, so we tought it was a good name. We call her Victoria, although there are a lot of people who seem to think that it's an awful big name! She sure is growing into it, though! My side of the family calls her Tory...I prefer that to Vicky, but I really like Victoria...so regal, yet simple.

Thanks again to all for your prayers, encouragement and advice...I hope to test some of it out pretty soon!

------------------