MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
MrsClark

Slow lettuce

Last year I planted lettuce, butter crunch and summer bibb, and it all sprouted little babies and then boom, did nothing and then boom, gone, disappeared.

This year, I am worried about seeing the same trend. I have a bunch a little baby lettuce sprouts, and it has been that way for a week or more.... but nothing is happening, of course we are getting a lot of rain and not much sun....

I am new to this, but last year they disappeared into thin air and I got no lettuce! What happened?

Hmmm... I've never had that happen before. I usually grow my non-head varieties of lettuce in window boxes. I like for them to get sun when they are small and then I try to shade them a bit to keep them from bolting. Were your seedlings inside or outside? Was there some sort of a freeze?

Hmmm... I've never had that happen before. I usually grow my non-head varieties of lettuce in window boxes. I like for them to get sun when they are small and then I try to shade them a bit to keep them from bolting. Were your seedlings inside or outside? Was there some sort of a freeze?

I seeded them directly outside and no, there hasnt been a freeze since I planted them...

Maybe there is something in the soil that the plant don't like... I started growing peas in pots because they did so poorly in my main garden. They only grew about 4 inches tall. They did really well in pots. A couple of years ago, I installed new raised beds in my side yard and the peas do really well over there. The only thing that I can think of is that the soil in the main garden just isn't conducive to growing them.

Were they planted to close together maybe?

Or something like the birds, squirrels or mice got them as it might have been the only thing around to eat?

I too have never had this happen ( I also start my in the greenhouse or cold frame in early spring) My are out in Raised beds now and doing fine - well except that I go out every few nights and pick some for Supper! LOL

I would see if anybody else plants near you and if they are having trouble too?

Or call your Local 4H office for help.

Don't give up as it may NOT be you that is doing it wrong? LOL

by the way WHAT color is your thumb? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I tend to plant my leaf lettuces very close together in the windowbox pots. The plants end up crowded but they do very well for cut-and-come-again lettuce.

I am the ONLY garden in the neighborhood, there are plenty of flowers and trees and such though...

The beds are raised and the soils is miracle grow for veges.... I will give them another couple of weeks and see what happens, they are still there at this point. So we will see.....

Thanks gals!

My leaf lettuce this year isn't doing well. I planted it so it would already be up and picked but it took forever to come up and its still not big enough to pick. I don't know what the deal is!

Mine are still little babies...just out of the ground! I was hoping to have lettuce by the 2d week of May. We have had some sunny days, each one is followed by 3 or 4 days of cold, damp, doom and gloom! Even with the greenhouse to warm things up, the weather still feels way off.

the soil needs to be 35 - 40 degrees 3 inches deep for lettuce to germinate and grow.

I am wondering with this weather: first warm, then cold, then rain and then snow and then warm and then rain again?

Maybe it is not that warm in the beds? wet soil will be colder.

If you have extra seed I would plant again in pots or trays in the house (cover seeds very little) and then plant outside when they are in 'true leaf'. Even if the others come back you can never have to much lettuce!

the soil needs to be 35 - 40 degrees 3 inches deep for lettuce to germinate and grow.

I am wondering with this weather: first warm, then cold, then rain and then snow and then warm and then rain again?

Maybe it is not that warm in the beds? wet soil will be colder.

If you have extra seed I would plant again in pots or trays in the house (cover seeds very little) and then plant outside when they are in 'true leaf'. Even if the others come back you can never have to much lettuce!

Thanks

Will try.

Glad to hear I am not the only one with issues too...

I was going to say maybe I am just thinking its slow cause I go and look at it every day.... a watched pot never boils and all...

Its getting BIGGER!!

Well, not quite! Bigger but still slow...

on Friday I moves more lettuce from in the greenhouse out to the raised beds. Needed more room in greenhouse for other things that are starting to get big an dneeded to be put into bigger pots and seed trays. Now thattemps seem to be staying above 35 degrees things are taking off out in the vegetable garden.

My dad is here from CA, he said there the farmers that grow the lettuce are closer out to the desert. I have also noticed that now that it is hotter and the soil is drying out faster, the lettuce is growing faster.

I thought lettuce was a colder weather crop. GUESS NOT!! It is taking off now. It a couple days I will have lettuce for burgers!

My lettuce is looking pretty good, too! Mine is still in the greenhouse, but it is going to come out soon. I'm hoping to till the main garden later today.

We had salad last night with everything straight from the garden! It was awesome! My lettuce is doing well.