MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
motherearth

PRICES GOING UP

since it is spring , and the commodities market is going crazy...first populace of cattle and pigs are down and now with tornadoes and it has ruined turkey farms and probably chicken farms....don't know about commerical pig raisers.....grain prices are upppppp and will keep going up as there is a sevre shortage of grain , first Texas has had fires and it is hot and their crops are not to good, second Washington state where the fruit and wheat is grown is cold and will make the harvest late this year and it might not be to great either , with grain pices going up and gas prices rising it will make the feed for stock higher which will in turn make meat and milk and eggs and all the other stuff that goes with that go up in price....with wheat and oats and corn going up cost of eggs , meat and all baked goods going up...then there is a shortage of cotton and it is higher in price right now than it was after the civil war when there was none....wool will go up as new zealand is getting rid of theirs and switching to dairy farms and with austarlia with all the flood welll it is a grim out look for the year tooo come ......so i suggestandmind you i suggest you all take a look at what ya got.....take care and keep the faith

This is an old one, but with what I am reading from this for 2011, has anyone noticed the prices today of food. Gas right now is down though at 2.19 a gal. to 2.29 depending on where you go.  I have been noticing some price hikes on mayo, peanut butter, flour, meats, mostly pork, and even can goods.  I help out and buy food for our church food ministry as well. and I have been using kraft mac and cheese for a price watch at lidel's. They are about the same as Aldi's.  They started off with a price of .25 cents, then up to 45 cents and now 69 cents.  That is just a refence as to what is happening around here.  their can goods use to be anywhere from 27 cents to 45 cents and now creeping up into the 60 cents and above price range.  

How are things going where you guys live?

Prices are creeping steadily up here, too.  Meat has been going up the most; then the fresh produce.  I have had to adjust what fresh produce I purchase now - cabbage and green peppers are more expensive, fresh carrots, onions and potatoes are still reasonable. Salad ingredients are through the roof. Fresh fruit is way up, the cheapest is apples.  Canned fruits & veggies have held steady and in some cases are down a little for Thanksgiving but only the basic ones (snap beans, corn, peas, carrots if you can find them).  I expect prices to rise in January which is normal, but the size of the hike makes me a little nervous, as the weather messed up many crops. Butter or margarine, and cheese are up more than usual.  Dried beans have gone up quite a bit, but unflavored, basic pasta and rice are steady. Mac & cheese is up across the board, Kraft more than house brands, but they are all up.  Flour is up, sugar is down a little (for the Christmas baking rush I presume).  Bread is through the roof except for basic house brand bread.  (Sell-outs are also more common, especially with a good sale.)  Rain checks?  Senior citizens discounts?  They are being discontinued.  I am watching the one store that does double coupons - they will only do a certain number of doubling based on how much you spend. But they do have the best meat in town and their sales still have a respectable markdown - the last one was 30% off plus another 10% for vets on veterans day.

I miss the food producers' company stores where I used to live, where they sold ugly (mis-cut, non-uniformly shaped meat & produce, or slightly dented cans) food at deep discounts.  They don't seem to have those around here.  I guess I got spoiled.  

They haven't had the dented can sales here in ages.  I think they are now giving it to the food banks.  Right now we have a huge sale on turkeys but limited. Just to get 3, I need to go to 2 different stores. One for 27 cents with a fourty dollar purchase and the other one for 28  cents limit of 2.  I am getting some to can. So I think if I get 3 of them, I will be canning for the next 2 to 3 days. Not sure I will do it as Thanksgiving is just 10 days away and then Christmas and I am still trying to get a lot of heavy cleaning done. Though I did finish the kitchen. That was the worse. So now I am working on the den.  So turkeys may or may not wait. I am watching on that one and trying to figure out a plan. maybe only get one to can.  Fresh fruit and veggies are up around here as well. But sweet potatoes should be going on sale here soon.  I am going to get some of those to can as well. When I went to pick up my RX, which is inside Harris Teeter, I went through the store to see if I could find any bargans. The shelves were picked clean. Don't know if it is because of Thanksgiving or they just haven't gotten a delivery.  But it just seems strange that these stores are always having so many bare shelves. I have a bad feeling that the USA is about to feel the pinch of the wild fires, flooding, to much rain, extreme hot weather, and now freezing temps. Other countries are already feeling the pinch and I fear we are about to as well. 

Head up friends...noticed on Facebook that Dollar Tree has been issued a huge warning from the FDA on anything with the label "Greenbrier"(?) ...it's got toxic Chinese stuff in it and they're to pull all of it from their shelves!  I checked and only had one bag of face scrub pads (which were on the list) so out they went.  We normally don't buy OTC's from there...so feel confident that our extended pantry doesn't have any of that brand either.  :fryingpan:

• Thanks 1

Not only are prices going up but the packaging is getting smaller. Less tissues in the box, 42oz is the new 3lbs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommato3boys said:

Not only are prices going up but the packaging is getting smaller. Less tissues in the box, 42oz is the new 3lbs.

That's what I was thinking when I read this mommato3boys.  Smaller packaging and still the same price or maybe even higher.

Another thing I've noticed so much of in the last 2 years.  

1.  Many things that are on sale now are almost outdated.  I've learned not to go during the first part of a sale week but wait until closer to the end of the week when the "outdated" stuff has sold and the newer is on the front of the shelves.  Of course, you can always dig to the back of the shelves but early on it's usually all closely outdated stuff.

2.  Unless you know the price of something NEVER assume the sale price is really a sale.  My family likes tenderized pork tenderloins.  One day as I walked past the meat counter I saw the pink card that announced they were on sale 4/$5.00.  I said to the butcher, "These aren't on sale.  This is the normal price."  He agreed.  "So why the pink card advertising them as on sale?"  People don't pay any attention and will buy them thinking it's a bargain.  "Are you kidding me?"  Nope, he says, it's a way to get people to buy.  Few pay attention.  As far as they're concerned it's on sale.  "Well, you won't catch me falling for it again, if I've fallen for it before." and he said with no concern, well, you're the exception then.,  I will admit I've never seen it happen again but...…….

So ladies pay attention.  You can be scammed, sad to say, even in your local grocery store.

• Like 2

Dee, I also have noticed that about the meats. there have been many things that are almost out of date that they put on sale to get rid of.  Halve to be very careful when going to the stores now.  Also I need to check about the dollar tree stuff coming out of greenbrier as I haven't had a chance to do so with taking DH to so many doctors.  We spend from 7:30 till noon for him to have that basil cell removed. First come first serve basis. Never have we been to a doctor that did that. He was the surgon that was removing the cancer. Had to wait till after the checked to see if it was a clean marker. It took forever. Then had to go back in to be stitched up. So he is worn out. 

The prices of food here is really going up and less and less product. I have been noticing this for awhile now. I am looking for other means on line to buy paper products that have not yet been reduced and hopefully still at a good price. Gas here is also going back up. I filled my tank up and the next day it jumped up another 7 cents. Not much but still it is not a good sign of things to come. 

9 hours ago, Littlesister said:

wait till after the checked to see if it was a clean marker. It took forever. Then had to go back in to be stitched up. So he is worn out.

Yep, I did that couple years ago.  AWFUL procedure but all staff excellent/kind.  Skin Cancer Is NOT Skin Deep.  [I keep saying that cuz I didn't know and waited overly long.]  Glad he had basal cell... not the bad stuff.  :amen: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Littlesister…..I watch Amazon for TP.  Sometimes it's higher than Wal-Mart, etc. but if I watch long enough it's cheaper.  With Prime it's really nice having a big box delivered.  We've had the same UPS man for a long time and know him fairly well.  The first time he brought the box of TP it was in a plain box.  The next time it said Northern Tissue all over it.  When I answered the door he said, "Someone got a problem here?"  If I were younger I'd have been embarrassed but when you get older you just roll with the punches and laugh right along. :) 

A couple of weeks ago I bought StarKist Tuna too at Amazon.  I think it was $.60 a can and dated like 2 years from now or some such.  One dented can but otherwise perfect.

I don't really buy much food this way but it's nice when I find bargains. :) 

• Like 1

I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to pricing. Short term memory shot. Especially with anything with a number in it. I can't remember any prices. The best I can do is to know my limit on what I'm willing to pay. :sigh:

I've used Amazon for TP too. I was sending it to a charity and saw it being opened. It was in perfect condition. I think it was Northern brand I bought. I've done that a couple of times. 

Funny you should mention getting food from Amazon. I mentioned it to D-ex yesterday. He said to make sure where it comes from. I guess he meant name brand and from where it's shipped. Make sure it isn't being shipped from China. I don't think that would be an issue but something to check I suppose. :shrug:

I plan to use them or Wal-Mart curbside service when I move to the country. Shop online and pay then pick it up all sacked up at the curb. 

• Like 1

Hi Jeepers, I have an app on my phone called Note.  On most things I can't remember the regular price either.  So, if it's something I'd really like to stock up I check the price in a couple of different store and put the price in Note.    When it's advertised on sale, I check Note and if it's really a sale I stock up.  I hadn't thought about it until now but I suppose you could make a list on a piece of paper and then take a picture of it with your phone.    

I hadn't thought about tuna being from China but when I read the questions and answers before buying it someone asked that exact question.  It's canned in either Ecuador or American Samoa.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dee. When I get a phone, other than the cheapest Trackphone I have, I'll definitely look into that! My phone doesn't even take pictures. It's basically the hello and goodbye model. LOL

After I posted I realized not everyone has a smart phone.  The only reason I have one is our son and daughter-in-law "brought me into the 21st century" five or six years ago.  They put it on their bill and said you'll love it.  I did and do and now can't imagine not having it. :grinning-smiley-044:  

I'll have to upgrade when I move. This phone won't work in my part of Indiana.  It has served me well though. I got it for emergencies and is only $100.00 a year plus tax. 21st. Century here I come. Can ya hear me now! 

• Haha 2

$100 a year?  I think mines that a month.  I don't ask....they might make me start paying my own bill if I do.  LOL  They both have tremendous jobs and I doubt they even notice what they pay for mine.  I'd like to keep it that way!!!  :laughkick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our phones are consumer cellular and mine is a piece of crap. I am thinking about looking into the jitter bug phones. 

Prices are still going up but some good sales because of holidays.  Just have to watch for them. The sweet potatoes I got for 19 cent a lb. has not been that cheap since. So glad I got some to can.  I will do it again if they go that cheap again. Watching now for chicken to go on sell so I can get some of that canned. I am getting low on chicken. 

The TP I get on Amazon prime on a by monthly basis is the family pack 32 mega rolls of Cottonelle. These are the same size as what they sold years ago before cutting it back and inlarging the cardboard to make it look like you are getting the same amount.  I am paying 29.00 aeach time it is delivered and free shipping though now I have to pay sales tax. These rolls are huge and I haven't seen any brand including the cottonelle in stores as big as these rolls. The deal is the more you put on an auto ship, the cheaper the prices. So far I only have 3 items that will be shipped like that.  Thinking about paper towels but have to check their prices against store prices as well as the sizes first.  The cottonelle has been a great deal so far. Though 29.00 seems like a lot, for what I am getting it really is a bargan around here. 

As for food on amazon, the only thing so far I have gotten was B&B canned bread and name brand grapefruit in the can. Cannot find canned grapefruit in cans in stores since Farm Fresh closed it's doors. We don't get the canned bread very often. Just now and then when we want it with soup or something. 

• Like 2

Little Sister.....my folks both have Jitterbug phones.  They are more complex now than the original models and my mom is struggling to remember how to use it.  It's more like smart phone design than the flip phones.  I keep telling her to practice calling me.....  She never remembers.  But my dad has had no problem with his....he's had the smart phones before.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.