MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Small Cordless foodsaver purchase

Well, I am getting concerned about these times we are in with our economic and the problems of higher transportation costs affecting everything I buy, as are so many now.

I cannot afford a good regular foodsaver right now but sure need something to do gallon and small bags vaccuumed at least, for dehydrated stuff and if I can figure out how to do instant dry powders with it that would be a plus.

I just ordered an inexpensive cordless foodsaver gizmo, it is handheld and I think it will help me somewhat in preserving things I dehydrate to last longer than they will just kept in an empty jar without vaccuuming it.

If anyone has any tips and experience using this small cordless unit, I would sure appreciate your sharing of that experience and any tips you can give me.

I also think, that its good for portioning out stuff since I am only one person and might enable me to limit just what I expose to the air later on. So I think thats a good idea. It will work on jars too that have metal lids.

I think that you purchased the same one that I got a while back. I've never tried it because it only came with one or two bags, so I have no advice. I keep meaning to order some bags from their website. I have heard good things about that handheld model though on another site.

arby:

You could order some oxygen absorbers and use them in the canning jars. They remove the excess oxygen. I use the 100CC for pint & quart jars. I use (2) 100cc's in the 1/2 gal size jars.

There are some special handling requirements when using them. You have to move fast...as they begin to activate within a few minutes. I do an assembly line technique..get all my jars full , then open absorbers, put one in each then hurry & close jars. Also, once you open the bag of absorbers you need to put the unused absorbers in the smallest jar they will fit in immediately and close, minimizing the air in that jar.

I would follow the garage sales for a used FoodSaver since people are always upgrading. The cordless ones are designed for the Zipper closure type bags (Glad and Ziplock vacuum bags work too) and are not effective for long term storage since they will lose their vacuum eventually. I have one and love it for refrigerator items and some small dehydrating jobs. Be careful on storing dried goods since sharp edges will puncture holes in the bag.

ok, thanks ladies. I was thinking of using jars mostly. I ordered some bags on amazon, along with it,, they had a fair variety of those that are designed for it. Just to have them. Might be good for some stuff anyway.

So there is some doo-hickey on these types of bags specifically designed for this cordless foodsaver, huh? ok..... Well I think it comes with a jar sealer too, so... sounds like jars would be best. Those are plentiful.

I better go look at the description again and be sure it had the jar lid sealer.

Ah, it doesn't seal jars.....ok..... well it would be good for the more quickly eaten stuff.

Where can I order the dessicant stuff online?

Thanks for all the tips on how to use them!

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever seen the Pump-N-Seal? I use this for vacuum sealing my jars. You need to get tubing from FoodSaver to attach to the Pump-N-Seal (do a search on this site to find my previous post about this), as well as the regular or wide mouth attachment that you use for sealing canning jars. It works wonderfully for me. You supposedly can seal bags with this, too, but it seems a messy and inefficient process, so I've never done it. I'm perfectly happy with my vacuum sealed canning jars.

Oops, I mean to add this link:

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Well, I am getting concerned about these times we are in with our economic and the problems of higher transportation costs affecting everything I buy, as are so many now.

I cannot afford a good regular foodsaver right now but sure need something to do gallon and small bags vaccuumed at least, for dehydrated stuff and if I can figure out how to do instant dry powders with it that would be a plus.

I just ordered an inexpensive cordless foodsaver gizmo, it is handheld and I think it will help me somewhat in preserving things I dehydrate to last longer than they will just kept in an empty jar without vaccuuming it.

If anyone has any tips and experience using this small cordless unit, I would sure appreciate your sharing of that experience and any tips you can give me.

I also think, that its good for portioning out stuff since I am only one person and might enable me to limit just what I expose to the air later on. So I think thats a good idea. It will work on jars too that have metal lids.

I hope this is of some help.

When I have “powders” in small amounts, that I wish to store in a Vacuum Sealed bag, I use a zip-lock bag to place the powders in, THEN that bag goes into the VACUUM Bag. The powders stay in the first bag !

For Masson jars OR for empty store bought re-sealable jar with “soft Seal” lids, I purchased the “Tab Check Seals” from Pump-n-Seal. The hand held vacuum sealer works great 4 that too.

PS, I got my COUNTER TOP Food Sealer at a resale shop for $10.00!

Arby, I have a "Zip Lock" hand-held bag sealer, ($5.00)their vacuum bags are so so for sealing, so what i do is buy QUILITY freezer bags, I order the "tab Check Seals" from Pump-n-Seal ( the kind used for cans, jars, etc..) use a pin to make a tiny hole in the plastic bag and use the Zip Lock Hand Held pump.

I also store things in 5 gallon plastic buckets, again I use a THIN drill bit to make a hole in the lid, use a "Tab Check Seal" ( from the Pump-N-Seal) and use the hand held Zip :ock pump/

I also have an Electric re-chargable, vacuum pump that save some energy and effort on buckets that are NOT full ( thus more air to evacuate).

Archived