MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Refurbishing an older canner

Bay Mare

I now have my Granny's canner that she used for years and years - canning who knows how many quarts of veggies! It sat unused for the past several years - probably 10. I know I need to replace the seal and the air vent. Do I need to replace the vent pipe also?

I found those on pressurecooker-outlet.com but there is a notation about the air vent. It says "Used on cookers and canners built prior to 1977. Allows excess steam to escape. Not for use with pressure cookers or canners manufactured since 1977 which contain a combination air vent/cover lock." The picture looks just like the one that is in it now so I think it is the right thing. But how do I know - I am thinking that the "combination air vent/cover lock" would look different?? How do I know if this was made prior to 1977?

This is a Presto Model 21B if that helps.

Thanks,

Angela

I now have my Granny's canner that she used for years and years - canning who knows how many quarts of veggies! It sat unused for the past several years - probably 10. I know I need to replace the seal and the air vent. Do I need to replace the vent pipe also?

I found those on pressurecooker-outlet.com but there is a notation about the air vent. It says "Used on cookers and canners built prior to 1977. Allows excess steam to escape. Not for use with pressure cookers or canners manufactured since 1977 which contain a combination air vent/cover lock." The picture looks just like the one that is in it now so I think it is the right thing. But how do I know - I am thinking that the "combination air vent/cover lock" would look different?? How do I know if this was made prior to 1977?

This is a Presto Model 21B if that helps.

Thanks,

Angela

Bay mare:

You can call Presto at 800-877-0441.

Bay mare:

You can call Presto at 800-877-0441.

Thanks CoM. I called them yesterday and was told that was the correct part for this canner. They also told me there was a date code on the bottom but there is nothing there. Maybe it was worn off over the years? I was curious to see how old this canner is. All I know is it is older than 1977.

Thanks,

Angela

Ok. next question :wave:

I forgot to ask something when I called yesterday so I called Presto again this morning. This is a dial gauge canner and the dial is wrong (reads 2lbs sitting on my desk!) so I want to change this to a weight gauge. I asked if the 3 piece weight would fit this vent pipe or if I needed to order a new vent pipe. I was told that the weighted gauge was not made for this canner and even though others may have done that it doesn't mean it is safe!?! :unsure:

Ok, maybe I have misunderstood what I have read but I thought you could change just about any dial gauge canner to the weight gauge. Should I just order the dial gauge and be done with it? I really didn't want to do that because the only extension agent that tests the gauges is 4 counties away. Maybe I should just try to save up for a new canner? :shrug:

What do you think?

Thanks,

Angela

I was the one who researched changing canners over several years ago.. I contacted people at Presto and also E. Andress who wrote the USDA guidelines before I ever started recommending this. It will depend who you get at Presto. Sure, they did not come that way, but it is perfectly safe to change them over. The person will just tell you what came on the canner, not how to change them. That is basically what most of them know. I called Presto and was even told the part number was 50332. It is safe to do this. I have my original email saved from E. Andress as well, stating it is safe.

You may need the new vent pipe on yours along with the 50332 weight set. Other than that, yours can be retrofitted. You don't have to buy a whole new canner. Leave the bad dial on there to just fill the hole, but you won't be relying on it, of course.

I believe you need this vent pipe :Presto 1058 Vent Pipe As far as I know it is the right one for your canner and the weight set will fit it.

I have my grandmother's canner as well. Mine is a National Pressure company or something like that. It was bought out by Presto. Mine is dated 1941. I had to replace the part where the weight sits and couldn't get it out. I called Presto and for the cost of shipping the item to them (and the part which I had already ordered), they fixed it for me even though technically it wasn't one of their canners. They are great. If you are having a problem refurbishing yours, call them and ask if they will do this for you. Also, take it to the county extension office and they can test everything for free. They tested mine and told me the calibration was a little off and so I needed to adjust the lbs pressure. Instead of 10 lbs pressure I need to get it to 11lbs. That may be all you need. I love my canner and it is great to have that link to my grandmother.

Archived