MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
themartianchick

Tilling the Kitchen Garden

This morning, I finally did it! I tilled the garden! Yeah, I know that I do it every year...but this year I was really eager to get it going. Like last year, I planted earlier than the local mandate of Memorial Day. I had lots of good things started in the greenhouse so when I brought them out to the potting table, it looked as though my garden was really established.

I still have a ways to go since I only planted about 20% of the available space. I will continue planting things over the next week or so and then move on to the raised beds in the side yard. This year, there will be a mix of flowers to attract bees and some of the more costly veggies to help balance the cost of groceries.

It felt so good to get my hands in the dirt! My quail love it when I'm in the garden because their cages are near there and they always manage to get buggy treats that I find in the soil. I cannot wait until June when I will be able to spend even more time outside. I am officially reducing my work hours for the months of June and July to allow me to have more time to write. This is huge for me because I am really stepping out on faith in order to be able to do this. I'm really looking forward to being able to have a slower pace and to be able to really observe and document the garden on a daily basis.

Martianchick! I'll have to live (or garden) vicariously through you! Wish I could start something. I wish you really well in your endeavor!!!!!!

I'll plant a little something in your honor, Miki! I'm sure that you'll be planting something at your own cabin soon enough!

We've finally had some warm enough and dry enough days to get out and plant. I do love getting my hands in the dirt!

Gardens are going good

here too.

Well when it is not raining?

Was calling for rain then it didn't come so I got so gardening chores out of the way.

Now they say rain on Monday, but?

At least it is staying warm nights so things are growing.

The birds (sparrows) are eating my pea vine leaves? Never had this happen before?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

That is odd, Michael. Awhile back, someone on another forum mentioned that wild quail ate all of her pea shoots. Are there any quail in your area? They are kinda small and brown, too... You and Lori would probably be able to tell the difference, though because you are birdwatchers.

That is odd, Michael. Awhile back, someone on another forum mentioned that wild quail ate all of her pea shoots. Are there any quail in your area? They are kinda small and brown, too... You and Lori would probably be able to tell the difference, though because you are birdwatchers.

No Quail here? Didn't vote for him then and if he comes around here I will not vote for him this time either. LOL

Yes we know birds, we feed birds (18+ feeders) and it is the house sparrows that are doing it?

I guess that Oregon Snow Peas are the best around here at the Homestead . . . even the birds are liking them?

Well at least they are still growing and for the most part seem to be doing OK - hope to see white flowers soon and then PEAS!

Am I confused or were you expecting those bees a month ago, Amber? Either way, they will make a nice addition to your self sufficiency...Congratulations!

I'm excited to see so many white flowers on my strawberry plants this year... It looks like a bumper crop!

YES! lots of flowers on ours as well also at the Farm we work for FARMERS MARKET - Ben said we will be busy picking this year as things are growing fast with all the rain and sun.

Now I had a problem with my strawberries as I was going to put some hay around them this year? But then I would have had ended up with hayberries so I went to an Amish Farm and got me some straw! So we are all set for STRAWBERRIES!

Ya, I know Poor Lori has to be here every day. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I was going to ask what hayberries are!:ashamed0002: Lori must be a strong woman!!!!!!! With a great sense of humor!!!!!!

Martianchick, maybe you could plant some common sense and patience for me--no impaciens pease!

Edited by snapshotmiki