MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need advice on storing whey protein powder

CoM

I didn't know where to put this.

A friend of mine mentioned that it may be a good idea to store whey protein powder.

Do any of you use this?

Do any of you store this?

I use Whey in many forms, so i store it. Generally I store "Powders" ( flour, milk, whey, Cereals, Etc.) In 5 gallon plastic buckets WITH a Gamma Seal Lid. On items that I rarely open I took the additional step of making my Gamma Seal Lids a VACUUM SEAL as well. I have a pump-n-seal, and use the “Tab Check Seals”. You could use ANY hand held vacuum sealer ( like for wine bottles, Zip Lock/Reynolds bags, etc.) To create the seal.

I hope this is of some help.

I sometimes get it for my husband, who has trouble maintaining weight. I use it like Instant Breakfast, which I like to make with half and half for him.

I guess my question is...Would it be a good survival food being that it is protein and amino acids and can be mixed with water if you don't have milk?

You COULD mix it with water, and drink it. It's an ingredient in pre-mixed "smoothies", and in weight loss/gain Powders/drinks. I stock both Whey & Powdered milk, as my emergency rations. Whey will mix, ( more or less) with powdered orange and citrus where as milk will curdle.

Some info here :

http://www.answerfitness.com/44/what-is-whey-protein-powder-and-do-i-need-it/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

• 1 month later...

I used it a lot several years ago when I was weight training. It's definitely a useful source of protein, and comes in many flavors. It can be used in water, but milk is definitely better (unless your'e lactose intolerant like me). Plus the seasonal egg nog flavor let us have egg nog over in the desert at Christmas, which was a nice treat. :)

Archived